WCW/Wrestlemania tie-in.

Fatty Facesitter

If Lesnar could be brought back in for a one-off deal, I'd love to see him clash with Goldberg with Austin as special guest ref.

I don't know if a re-run of Mania XX would work. If they were to bring in Lesnar and Goldberg it'd have to be something fresh. Also, makes you wonder whether they'd pay out for both of them. If they could get Lesnar on board I don't know if they'd want, or need, Goldberg as well.

That match was the shits. I read somewhere the style of match was done by the agents in order to make both look like shit, considering they were both on their way out. Any truth to this anyone?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really dont want to see some 'lame' WWE tribute which is basically a thinly veiled piss take out of there conquered rivals. Sans Sting,Hogan,Bischoff,Flair etc it just wont work.

Only match i would mark out for, would be a Sting vs Taker match. personally i dont think it'll happen!

• Paid Members
And the reason he got booed out of MSG is because they knew he was leaving. MSG is WWF/WWE's home stadium and if your on the off, they are going to give you a hard time. Goldberg was usually accepted by the WWE audience after a frosty initial period. John Listers idea for a Barrett and Goldberg match/angle is what got me interested. People know him and like him. Those people booing him in 2003, are probably the same one's saying "I miss the Attitude era, I miss Goldberg and the nWo, I miss ECW. All we have is PG and Cena :( "

Was going to mention this - also, people were booing Lesnar pretty heavily too. In fact, I'd say they were just killing two birds with one stone and just booing both guys indiscriminately - they simply weren't interested in putting on a Mania-worthy match because they were both leaving, and the crowd picked up on it easily.

Was going to mention this - also, people were booing Lesnar pretty heavily too. In fact, I'd say they were just killing two birds with one stone and just booing both guys indiscriminately - they simply weren't interested in putting on a Mania-worthy match because they were both leaving, and the crowd picked up on it easily.

I don't know how it came across on TV but certainly live, the hostility was pretty intense. The crowd popped like mad for the Stunners as if they signified some kind of moral victory. There was a major lack of effort on the part of both Lesnar and Goldberg though, so I can't say I really blame the MSG crowd on this occasion.

The thing with Lesnar vs. Goldberg is that even without the hostile crowd that probably pissed them off and the fact that they were leaving so didn't have much insentive to go all out, it would have never have lived up to its potential. People liked Lesnar because he was double tough and could tear into people, and they liked Goldberg for the same thing so working that match must have been a nightmare. And certainly neither's known for their great ring leading ability, both can have highly entertaining matches but they're normally either short and against someone who can take a lot of bumps or a really experianced old hand.

• Paid Members
That must have been a really tough decision for WWE to decide who was gonna win.

Well, Austin really won ;)

Goldberg was coming to the end of his contract, whereas Brock (who they had invested lots of time and money in him being their next major star) was turning his back on the company that made him to try and be a footballer. Picking Golberg to go over was probably a no-brainer to them.

The negative reaction was inevitable considering everyone knew neither guy would be returning after Mania. They saw two wrestlers that didn't want to be wrestlers anymore square off. They deliberatley delayed the start to the match (i.e. before they eventually locked up) to intensify the crowd furthermore, and it worked and created a huge (if hostile) buzz to eventually build to the 'high spot'- Austin delivering stunners to the two guys leaving his beloved industry.

If they were both remaining with WWE, I think we'd have seen a very different match. I think on a good night these two could have an absolute belter, I really do. Not WrestleMania 27, though.

I don't know how it came across on TV but certainly live, the hostility was pretty intense. The crowd popped like mad for the Stunners as if they signified some kind of moral victory.

I wonder whether the crowd would've been any different had they known Austin was fucking off in a couple of weeks as well.

Im a big old school WCW fan, (nwo style, not the russo era.....although i still watched it up until the day it died), and although people are saying "ITS WCW TURF!", let me just drop this one in.

A while back , Austin came in to do a special guest refferee gig at cyber sunday i think. During this time, people who know austin, (slightley older fans now, and i mean oldeer than kids), where like "WOW, Austin!". I asked a 9 year old kid who steve austin was......he said "Hes that guy who comes out and drink beer", and thats all he knew about him.

People are correct in saying its WCW old turf, but alot of old WCW either dont watch wrestling anymore, (at lets face it, i know bombs of people who were into just "because it was cool at the time"), so im guessing with the curret WWE audience (children/familys), im guessing they may not know who goldberg even is. His run is WWE was also some time ago, so and fan at the moment wouldnt really know him that well. unless its fans like ourselves.

So will it work? Maybe, but they'd have to try and bring in an older audience/former watches of WWE/WCW.

That is true. I have read the average length of time the casual fans follow wrestling is a fan is five years (be that 1955-1960, 1987-1991, 1992-1997, or whatever) so obviously they are going to come across different people. I'm sure that right now this week some kid out there watched wrestling for the first time.

I can relate to what you are saying about the nine year old as well since I doubt any of my close friends (even the ones who were big fans as kids and teenagers - probably even bigger than me - let alone casual ones) would be able to name a single wrestler after around 1993 if they hadn't heard it from me other than maybe The Rock (although even then I have spoken to, met, studied and worked with and even dated people who don

Archived