WCW/Wrestlemania tie-in.

Fatty Facesitter

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Goldberg's a successful television presenter and personality in the US these days. People know of him over there, and wrestling fans remember him. It shocks me people will think people have no idea who Goldberg is. He's no disappeared from American television. He's always on TV over there. Goldberg was a massive star from the boom period. Steve Austin and Goldberg were neck and neck in 1998. The biggest baseball star of the era rubbed his bat of Goldberg before breaking the home-run record or whatever the fuck it was. He was the man. You dont forget someone like Goldberg to easy.

Goldberg's a successful television presenter and personality in the US these days. People know of him over there, and wrestling fans remember him. It shocks me people will think people have no idea who Goldberg is. He's no disappeared from American television. He's always on TV over there. Goldberg was a massive star from the boom period. Steve Austin and Goldberg were neck and neck in 1998. The biggest baseball star of the era rubbed his bat of Goldberg before breaking the home-run record or whatever the fuck it was. He was the man. You dont forget someone like Goldberg to easy.

I don't think anyone's forgotten Goldberg, but I doubt he's going to break any pay-per-view records in 2010. Him and Austin might have been neck and neck in 1998, but it's not like Goldberg retired as champion the week after Halloween Havoc that year and hasn't been seen since. After the streak was broken at the end of 1998, he did about another five and a half years on and off, and it was all downhill, ending with him getting shat on by the crowd and stunnered by Austin at WrestleMania.

• Paid Members

Nobody is asking him to break PPV records though. In these times where all the nostalgia pops are working for TNA, re-establishing Goldberg as somewhat of a big deal to the WWE Universe isnt the worst idea in the world. I cant see many people doing much to help WrestleMania at the minute. I doubt bringing in Sting would do much to be honest, as far as buyrates go either, but it would be nice to see. Last year, you had a cracking buildup, Bret Hart returned, the card was stacked and you had a sure fire match of the year on the cards in the main event and it did lower than even the initial worriers were predicting. The problem with buyrates goes beyond bringing in a nostalgia pop, but that doesnt mean people wouldnt mind seeing it.

And the reason he got booed out of MSG is because they knew he was leaving. MSG is WWF/WWE's home stadium and if your on the off, they are going to give you a hard time. Goldberg was usually accepted by the WWE audience after a frosty initial period. John Listers idea for a Barrett and Goldberg match/angle is what got me interested. People know him and like him. Those people booing him in 2003, are probably the same one's saying "I miss the Attitude era, I miss Goldberg and the nWo, I miss ECW. All we have is PG and Cena :( "

Goldberg's first run in WWE was too late. They should've bought out his contract two years earlier, but that's another story.

2003 = Two years too late.

2011 = Must be ten years too late? Right on time.

Hmm.

We're talking of a one-time deal at Mania in ATLANTA WCW COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!! Why is this hard to understand?

Indeed, like a Naitch title shot, do it elsewhere and it's okay. do it in Charlotte, NC and it's solid 24 carat gold.

It will make money, I'm interested in Goldberg and a WCW theming for example and I don't buy PPV but would be tempted.

Obviously The Rock stands head and shoulders above the rest of those who people would want to see return. But I'd say, and I stress the point of in certain markets, Goldberg comes tied second with Austin. And for Austin to work it'd have to be an actual match and not just an appearance. Don't know if that's possible due to the condition of his neck though.

• Paid Members
would anyone pay money to watch one Goldberg match?

I wouldn't pay just for that, you could count the shows I'd buy on the strength of one match on one hand, but the concept of some one getting fucked up Goldberg style would get me hyped up, its not something you see much now and he had a way about how he did it, an aura. Weather it was in the style of the amazing match with DDP at HH98 or just hammering some small name jamoke it would have me hyped for the show that bit more, which is good.

Also if Barry Windham doesn't get involved by virtue of being awesome then theres something very, very wrong with the world

I wouldn't pay just for that, you could count the shows I'd buy on the strength of one match on one hand, but the concept of some one getting fucked up Goldberg style would get me hyped up, its not something you see much now and he had a way about how he did it, an aura. Weather it was in the style of the amazing match with DDP at HH98 or just hammering some small name jamoke it would have me hyped for the show that bit more, which is good.

Also if Barry Windham doesn't get involved by virtue of being awesome then theres something very, very wrong with the world

I would like to see him wrestle. my favorite wrestling game wrestler to go ever! but id not pay just for him was the point I was making

• Paid Members

I would like to see him wrestle. my favorite wrestling game wrestler to go ever! but id not pay just for him was the point I was making

And i agree with you, neither would I pay just for him but I would like to see him. I think I just sort of took your post as a starting point.

I would like a little bit of WCW at Wrestlemania - always like a bit of nostalgia at Wrestlemania. Just a few ideas ... some WCW wrestlers involved in a battle royal or the tag team titles being defended in a gauntlet match with some WCW acts involved (Rock n rolls, Midnight Express). Perhaps Zach Ryder will be in mid ring, running down Georgia when Goldberg's music plays. Ryder feigns fear and outcomes Gillberg. Ryder easily defeats him only for Goldberg's music to hit, Goldberg spears him and pins him in seconds. They could have a gimmick battle royal featuring The Yeti, Glacier, The Ding Dongs, Arachnaman, 3 Count amongst others.

Archived