WCW/Wrestlemania tie-in.

Fatty Facesitter

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Have wrestling fans all of a sudden developed really short memories? Is that why the HOF draws such a large crowd every year?

There are thousands of fans who effectively stopped watching after WCW folded. Goldberg wasn't just some WCW-guy, he wasn't DDP or Booker T, he was a superstar rivalling Steve Austin on the popularity scale. Of course it would generate interest.

I reckon a few of those saying that it wouldn't do well maybe are too young to remember how popular WCW were at their peak and have maybe only read about Goldberg or something. Other than that I can't understand why they don't think he'd draw. I'm not talking about the kids watching Cena etc these days, I'm talking the older fans, the ones who frequent this board for example. You've got a whole market of 21-35 year-olds who do remember WCW and who do remember Goldberg. And they're the ones who buy Mania tickets.

I loved Goldberg and I'd really like too see more WCW stuff as it was always my favourite but people seem to be talking about Goldberg like he was never in WWE, he was, it was only like 7 years ago and it wasn't that big a deal - remember?

Still, I'd love to see it, WWE could make a lot of money from WCW DVDs and stuff and making the brand look like it was awesome would be a good start, it's certainly not competition anymore, make some decent money off merch and the tape library.

• Paid Members
Have wrestling fans all of a sudden developed really short memories? Is that why the HOF draws such a large crowd every year?

There are thousands of fans who effectively stopped watching after WCW folded. Goldberg wasn't just some WCW-guy, he wasn't DDP or Booker T, he was a superstar rivalling Steve Austin on the popularity scale. Of course it would generate interest.

I reckon a few of those saying that it wouldn't do well maybe are too young to remember how popular WCW were at their peak and have maybe only read about Goldberg or something. Other than that I can't understand why they don't think he'd draw. I'm not talking about the kids watching Cena etc these days, I'm talking the older fans, the ones who frequent this board for example. You've got a whole market of 21-35 year-olds who do remember WCW and who do remember Goldberg. And they're the ones who buy Mania tickets.

I loved Goldberg and I'd really like too see more WCW stuff as it was always my favourite but people seem to be talking about Goldberg like he was never in WWE, he was, it was only like 7 years ago and it wasn't that big a deal - remember?

Still, I'd love to see it, WWE could make a lot of money from WCW DVDs and stuff and making the brand look like it was awesome would be a good start, it's certainly not competition anymore, make some decent money off merch and the tape library.

might be down to the WWE diluting of Goldberg... regardless one appearence squashing the living shit out of someone would be a small treat and it's in Georgia, a WCW stronghold, fans WOULD remember, Wrestlemania does contain the most hardcore oh hardcore fans these days.

Goldberg's first run in WWE was too late. They should've bought out his contract two years earlier, but that's another story.

As far as him getting booed at Mania with Brock, that was totally different circumstances. They were both on their way out and the fans knew it. Plus it was in MSG, as far away as WCW as you can get.

We're talking about Atlanta. Atlanta, specifically the Georgia Dome, is WCW. It's all in the context.

If they were to build it properly and position it as a semi-main under the title match I have absolutely no doubt that it would do big numbers.

It depends how they want to use Goldberg really, and if he'd actually want to come in. As a surprise it'd work wonderfully because it maintains the "WrestleMania is special" concept that they've developed and tried to maintain for years. Certainly that's already in the mentality of fans but you've gotta keep it going, you can't stop delivering special moments and expect peopel to still have that same mentality. A surprise Goldberg appearance beating the crap out of some no name midcarders works perfectly.

If they want to put him in a big match and build it up then it'd probably work too. The family audience that WWE's marketing towards will likely be drawn into WrestleMania because its marketed as a big deal, you've got a proportion of inernet fans who will buy it whatever just for the name value, but you've likely got the internet fans who remember WCW and haven't watched wrestling for a while and might be intrigued by a Goldberg match against the right opponent. How you then do that match is something I couldn't answer. Goldberg against a current star makes the most sense in terms of intrigue but then Goldberg might want to go over, and it doesn't really seem worth potentially undermining someone just for him. Then again, if its a chicken shit heel you may as well go for it.

Of course there's also bad ways of booking it. I'm on and off with WWE viewing but a Goldberg appearance/match would probably raise my interest a bit. A Sting match with the right opponent would too but I'm somewhat doubtful as to whether that'll happen or not. I'd imagine we'll get a Hall of Fame WCW class and a few odd nostalgic appearances, and why not, its WrestleMania and we all like a bit of nostalgia every now and then.

• Paid Members
Goldberg's first run in WWE was too late. They should've bought out his contract two years earlier, but that's another story.

2003 = Two years too late.

2011 = Must be ten years too late? Right on time.

Hmm.

a nostalgic run in would be just fine, if it wasn't a WCW theme then no, not at all.

I can't see the weight in the whole former fans getting back into the 'rasslin spirit for Goldberg thing, really. Doesn't WrestleMania cost a fortune in America? Like fifty quid for the PPV? Nobody is going to pay that for a bit of nostalgia funtime.

I don't think any dream match really matters in terms of PPV buyrates these days. The young generation of fans don't give a shit, the ex fans are not going to shell out, and the rest to whom dream matches etc appeal are the people who will just buy the show anyway.

My own feeling is everything around WrestleMania will be WCW themed bar the event itself. We all know of Vince's fondness for pretending other wrestling companies do not and have not ever existed. Putting them on his darling PPV is riddiculous and unfeasible, IMO.

2003 = Two years too late.

2011 = Must be ten years too late? Right on time.

Hmm.

We're talking of a one-time deal at Mania in ATLANTA WCW COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!! Why is this hard to understand?

Tbh I always had Goldberg down as the tinsel in the dog turd. He was popular because everything around him was SHIT.

• Paid Members

Tbh I always had Goldberg down as the tinsel in the dog turd. He was popular because everything around him was SHIT.

utter bollocks, Cruiserweight division, Booker T/Benoit series, Wolfpac, Raven, Jericho.... utter bollocks.

Archived