WCW/Wrestlemania tie-in.

Fatty Facesitter

• Paid Members

Hardly much of a newsworthy story, but it raises interesting possibilities.

- With WrestleMania in Atlanta next year and it being the 10 year anniversary of the death of WCW, there will likely be some kind of tie-in.

Credit: TheObserver.

I think at the most some former WCW legends will be called into the hall of fame and make an appearence on the show, rather than an ECW style brand revival with former stars coming together to form a stable or anything. But what would you do? Would you have any WCW involvement at all come Wrestlemania this April and if so, how would you go about it? Would you maybe create a stable of old school WCW guys led by someone like Goldberg? Have a couple of special matches? Or just carry on as normal and pretend they never existed.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hardly much of a newsworthy story, but it raises interesting possibilities.

- With WrestleMania in Atlanta next year and it being the 10 year anniversary of the death of WCW, there will likely be some kind of tie-in.

Credit: TheObserver.

I think at the most some former WCW legends will be called into the hall of fame and make an appearence on the show, rather than an ECW style brand revival with former stars coming together to form a stable or anything. But what would you do? Would you have any WCW involvement at all come Wrestlemania this April and if so, how would you go about it? Would you maybe create a stable of old school WCW guys led by someone like Goldberg? Have a couple of special matches? Or just carry on as normal and pretend they never existed.

I think Vince will pretend they never happened. No one outside of the internet smarks would give a shit for a Goldberg match and frankly no one else came out of the fiasco that was the end of WCW with any value at all (except maybe Sting) . WCW was buried 10 years ago. Lets keep it that way

• Paid Members
frankly no one else came out of the fiasco that was the end of WCW with any value at all (except maybe Sting).

Nobody came out of WCW with any value? Is that why Invasion drew a $900,000 gate and a 1.63 buyrate? Or that WWF signed most of WCW's headliners on high six figure deals and put them in main event positions and there former booker is now the number two top man in the WWE? Flair, Hogan, Goldberg, Booker T, Kevin Nash, Johnny Ace and a few others did very well for themselves post WCW. Also, how do you work out that Sting had any value left then? Sting on his arse and didnt even want to turn up by the end of WCW.

I'd just give the Hall of Fame a WCW theme, I think. Maybe have Goldberg smash someone in similar fashion to the Hogan/Hassan run-in a few years ago. I don't think I'd make a match for him. Anyone who's credible enough to face him shouldn't be sacrificed to give him a nostalgia win.

• Moderators
No one outside of the internet smarks would give a shit for a Goldberg match

Oh fuck off. The smarks always hated Goldberg, and he was a big crossover name. In '98 he wasn't that far beind Austin. His shirts were seen at NBA games. He was a real name.

frankly no one else came out of the fiasco that was the end of WCW with any value at all (except maybe Sting).

Nobody came out of WCW with any value? Is that why Invasion drew a $900,000 gate and a 1.63 buyrate? Or that WWF signed most of WCW's headliners on high six figure deals and put them in main event positions and there former booker is now the number two top man in the WWE? Flair, Hogan, Goldberg, Booker T, Kevin Nash, Johnny Ace and a few others did very well for themselves post WCW. Also, how do you work out that Sting had any value left then? Sting on his arse and didnt even want to turn up by the end of WCW.

WWE would draw a similar number with me and Dillikid in the main event. The BRAND sells the tickets.

No one outside of the internet smarks would give a shit for a Goldberg match

Oh fuck off. The smarks always hated Goldberg, and he was a big crossover name. In '98 he wasn't that far beind Austin. His shirts were seen at NBA games. He was a real name.

Yeah 12 years ago.....

I'm actually looking forward to the WCW theme at Wrestlemania. It will mainly appeal to long time fans like myself but it gives the younger fans a look at WCW. Some kind of stable with ex WCW stars would be great but I can't see it happening for various reasons and probably doesn't make long term sense seeing as WWE really should be building for the future.

• Paid Members

WWE would draw a similar number with me and Dillikid in the main event. The BRAND sells the tickets.

If your going to be sarcastic make a fucking effort

Have wrestling fans all of a sudden developed really short memories? Is that why the HOF draws such a large crowd every year?

There are thousands of fans who effectively stopped watching after WCW folded. Goldberg wasn't just some WCW-guy, he wasn't DDP or Booker T, he was a superstar rivalling Steve Austin on the popularity scale. Of course it would generate interest.

I reckon a few of those saying that it wouldn't do well maybe are too young to remember how popular WCW were at their peak and have maybe only read about Goldberg or something. Other than that I can't understand why they don't think he'd draw. I'm not talking about the kids watching Cena etc these days, I'm talking the older fans, the ones who frequent this board for example. You've got a whole market of 21-35 year-olds who do remember WCW and who do remember Goldberg. And they're the ones who buy Mania tickets.

Archived