Frankie Boyle...

The Miz

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tramadol Nights is very hit and miss at best, but I like his stand-up shows.

The thing that I like about Boyle is that nothing is off limits with him, which is the way that stand-up comedy used to be. Not to put on him on a par with the guy, but Bill Hicks was the same in his act, he had something to say and was going to say it no matter what censors thought about it.

At the end of the day, OFCOM have printed guidelines (to use a Peep Show quote) to which the show has to conform to. If the show is within those boundries, then there is very little that can be done about it. instead of complaining about it, anyone that is offended can always use the long forgotten method of changing the channel and watching something else, instead of getting on their high-horse about something that they might not have seen in the first place ("I haven't seen the program, but Im deeply offended by what I have read about it in the tabloids").

It will draw comparisons to the BRand/Ross/Sachs incident (which too was blown out of all proportion). It was a childish prank which everyone has done sometime in their lives) which frankly wasn't that funny. But people got into such a how-ha about it that it gave it more publicity than was warrented and now Johnathon Ross is off to ITV and Russell Brand has a popstar wife and living in LA making movies. If anything, they benifited from the 'won't someone please think of the children' crowd

• Paid Members

I've never watched the guy, but he'll get the drug Tramadol banned from the people that need it. I bet doctors surgeries have seen an increase in people wanting the drug since this show started.

It's an unbelievablely shit, and overrated (it's not Morphine, like Boyle has claimed), painkiller but its still better than if the doctor offered you Paracetamol.

A bit of advice. If you're ever in a doctor's surgery and they offer you either Tramadol or Co-Codamol. Go for the Co-Codamol.

Co-codamol over Tramadol? How come? I've never taken either (I've not been to a doctor in over a decade, anytime I'm in pain I self-medicate with shitloads of ibuprofen), but my brother-in-law's on Co-codamol at the minute for broken neck surgery and he reckons it just knocks him sick. Surely Tramadol must have a bit of a buzz to it.

• Paid Members
Surely Tramadol must have a bit of a buzz to it.

It does, it's an opiate based drug. I got prescribed it after I blew my cruciate and if I can't sleep I pop one or two of them into me. It's one of those "I'm sinking into my bed...wheeee" scripts. Again, in saying that, everybody's different. I gave two to me mate who had a migraine and they just made him chunder...

What was the point to the Harvey joke?

I'm asking as someone who loathes and detests Jordan, but if there was a point to that gag, what was it?

Harvey is physically and mentally handicapped as well as being incredibly large for his age, when he becomes a teenager and starts trying to fuck anything that moves Jordan will need someone bigger and stronger around the house (like a cage fighter) to restrain Harvey if he tries to rape his mother.

It's not watertight as far as jokes go but the punchline involves Jordan being raped by her crosseyed potato child, so I like it.

Tramadol Nights. I quite like the standup but the sketches are atrocious, jokes about rape, violence, the scatological and paedophilia are all very well and good but nobody needs to see these topics acted out by embarassed actors on tasteless and pointless cutaway sketches. It's like putting a laughter track over a snuff film.

Talking of Tramadol Nights, anyone else think the show which follows it, "The Morgana Show" is class?

I think the show is average at best.

I thought the Fearne Cotton bit was alright, but everything else was awful.

I watched the first episode of 'The Morgana Show', and the Fearne Cotton bit was the best thing on it (although I enjoyed her impressions of Cheryl Cole and Danni Minogue also). Had the misfortune of catching a bit of 'The Impression Show with Culshaw & Stephenson' on BBC1 last night, and Morgana's impression of Cotton absolutely blows away Debra Stephenson's effort.

• Moderators
What was the point to the Harvey joke?

I'm asking as someone who loathes and detests Jordan, but if there was a point to that gag, what was it?

Harvey is physically and mentally handicapped as well as being incredibly large for his age, when he becomes a teenager and starts trying to fuck anything that moves Jordan will need someone bigger and stronger around the house (like a cage fighter) to restrain Harvey if he tries to rape his mother.

It's not watertight as far as jokes go but the punchline involves Jordan being raped by her crosseyed potato child, so I like it.

Tramadol Nights. I quite like the standup but the sketches are atrocious, jokes about rape, violence, the scatological and paedophilia are all very well and good but nobody needs to see these topics acted out by embarassed actors on tasteless and pointless cutaway sketches. It's like putting a laughter track over a snuff film.

Soo.... what you're saying is that you prefer your snuff films without a laughter track..? :confused:

I've not read all the thread, so apologies if someone has already said, but if you want to see proper cutting edge comedy with strong outrageous output make an effort to see Jerry Sadowitz live, Boyle is piss poor in comparison.

This year during Glasgow's annual comedy festival I saw Boyle, Sadowitz, and Lee Mack within days of each other. Boyle was by far the worst stand up act - as a matter of fact Mack's support act, Simon Evans, put in a much better turn than Boyle did.

• Paid Members

The thing about Boyle is that he does have some good gags and he is very quick-witted - he was excellent as host on Never Mind The Buzzcocks as well. He is reigned in on those types of things though. But as a stand-up comedian he does not know how to put together a show, it's not just a case of having some funny jokes, the show needs to have some flow and organisation to it.

It's when he's let off the lead and allowed to do whatever he wants that he comes unstuck. As much as I hate Mock The Week, I think leaving it was a big mistake for him because panel shows are clearly his strength.

I've not read all the thread, so apologies if someone has already said, but if you want to see proper cutting edge comedy with strong outrageous output make an effort to see Jerry Sadowitz live, Boyle is piss poor in comparison.

This year during Glasgow's annual comedy festival I saw Boyle, Sadowitz, and Lee Mack within days of each other. Boyle was by far the worst stand up act - as a matter of fact Mack's support act, Simon Evans, put in a much better turn than Boyle did.

I used to love Jerry Sadowitz when I was about 13, back when he had that show on Channel Five. I watched a stand-up video of his a couple of years back and thought it was pretty shit. It was from 1989 though, I think.

Jerry Sadowitz is great, but I'd class him as a top level magician with great comedic patter rather than a great comedian.

I saw Frankie Boyle on Hyndland Street the other day. His beard is spectacular.

Archived