Frankie Boyle...

The Miz

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
His stand up bits on Tramadol are the best bits. And tbh his use of the words were not meant to be 'offensive' they made a point. Typical reactionary bollocks.

The Madeline McCann joke was a thing of beauty though, and quite clever if you think about it

Come on, surely you don't believe that. Even the titles of his Book and DVD's are desperatly agressive.

Down with this sort of thing. Careful now.

It's laughable the way the media seem to be working themselves into a Mary Whitehouse-esque moralist frenzy over Boyle's tired 'shock' comedy. Coupled with the ridiculous arena-filling popularity of utterly mediocre comedians like Michael McIntyre, it's as if the last 30 years never happened.

What these papers don't seem to realise is that any kind of press is good press.

This kind of 'offensive material' will be sought out by more now who will want to see what the big deal is.

For me Tramadol Nights is decent, some parts of it are a bit meh but for the majority its good to see Frankie Boyle tear into people :)

Which comedians could be considered groundbreaking though? There's nobody really doing anything (on the mainstream circuit at least) new. Everything's been done before.

I think the point is, Boyle is trying to present himself as being all edgy and on the borderline of acceptability, while in fact saying nothing more controversial than your average episode of South Park. The problem is, he does with a complete lack of wit, subtlty or intelligence, and that's why he upsets people.

I'd argue Brendon Burns is a million times more groundbreaking than Boyle, because he tackles taboos head-on, isn't fussed with political correctness, but brings you out the other end thinking he's a great guy and having made you consider your own moral standpoint. Boyle is just a posterboy for witless, gutless nihilism. His standup shows are appalling, and seem to have been thrown together in a couple of hours. Any idiot could go out there and do what he does.

"So. Paedophiles. Look at you sir! You're a cunt! Paedophiles. Maddie McCann. Paedophiles and Maddie McCann. You're a cunt. Baby P. You're a cunt. Paedophiles."

Which comedians could be considered groundbreaking though? There's nobody really doing anything (on the mainstream circuit at least) new. Everything's been done before.

I think the point is, Boyle is trying to present himself as being all edgy and on the borderline of acceptability, while in fact saying nothing more controversial than your average episode of South Park. The problem is, he does with a complete lack of wit, subtlty or intelligence, and that's why he upsets people.

I'd argue Brendon Burns is a million times more groundbreaking than Boyle, because he tackles taboos head-on, isn't fussed with political correctness, but brings you out the other end thinking he's a great guy and having made you consider your own moral standpoint. Boyle is just a posterboy for witless, gutless nihilism. His standup shows are appalling, and seem to have been thrown together in a couple of hours. Any idiot could go out there and do what he does.

"So. Paedophiles. Look at you sir! You're a cunt! Paedophiles. Maddie McCann. Paedophiles and Maddie McCann. You're a cunt. Baby P. You're a cunt. Paedophiles."

The thing is, he's doing what sells. Mainstream comedy in this country is dumbed down to fuck, as evidenced by the omnipresence of McIntyre and Russell Howard. Any idiot could do what Boyle does, as they could just as easily come up with the lazy 'observations' of McIntyre while putting on a silly voice and laughing at your own jokes so your audience's lack of a sense of humour in no way inhibits their participation in your stand-up show.

I'm not that aware of Brendon Burns, but if his comedy was lazier and more obvious, he'd probably have posters for his DVD all over WH Smith as well.

• Paid Members

I'd argue Brendon Burns is a million times more groundbreaking than Boyle, because he tackles taboos head-on, isn't fussed with political correctness, but brings you out the other end thinking he's a great guy and having made you consider your own moral standpoint. Boyle is just a posterboy for witless, gutless nihilism. His standup shows are appalling, and seem to have been thrown together in a couple of hours.

Brendon Burns is excellent & his 'So I Suppose You Think This Is Offensive Now?' show was fantastic. I don't know if I consider him mainstream thought tbh which was pretty much my point. Burns has come under a lot of criticism himself, his poster for the show above got him a lot of flack & he's been accused (wrongfully IMO) of being shouty/shocking for the sake of it too.

Any idiot could go out there and do what he does.

No they couldn't. If that were really true then you or I would be selling out theatres across the country. From someone who's seen plenty of young comics come onto the circuit with that exact mindset & die on their arse I can assure you it takes a lot more than just being shocking. So many new acts have seen the likes of Frankie Boyle, Jim Jefferies, Doug Stanhope etc & think 'If I can't think of a punchline I'll just say something about rape/child abuse/cancer'. To be able to get away with material about such dark topic matter you either have to have the crowd's support, by either being utterly charming/ having the audience know you're obviously just joking or the gag needs to be strong enough to transcend the subject matter. I've seen audiences turn on an act in a split second when said comedian has put in a sick joke they thought they could pull off but couldn't.

• Paid Members

Mark Thomas's current tour is about walking the length of the Israeli/Palestinian seperation barrier. Has that been done before?

• Paid Members
Mark Thomas's current tour is about walking the length of the Israeli/Palestinian seperation barrier. Has that been done before?

Altough he's awesome he's not on the mainstream circuit. He's joined the likes of Rob Newman is pretty much doing lectures that feature some comedy as opposed to being a striaght up comedy show.

Archived