IPW: NO ESCAPE 2011, Sun 6th March, Sittingbourne

Andy

• Paid Members

El Generico beat Marty Scurll in 20.03 with the BRAINBUSTAHHHH. Cracking main which saw Generico act all heelish in the middle though he gave Marty respect in the end.

Show ends.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some general thoughts from tonight

I was unsure which Marty Scurll match should main event and which should start the show as both could have done it

Ldrs vs Cole and O'reily was amazing and there was a real intensity between the two teams and i am now massive cole and o'reily fans and would want them to come back again

Kincade looked great for his squash against Havoc

Callihan vs T-bone was really good especially as i expected very little of it but since i last saw him T-Bone has lost a lot of weight. They were both very intense for the whole

match and it was a crazy.

All Stars vs Original Thrillers felt kinda off with both teams messing up some bigger moves including a scary moment when Whiplash was meant to be thrown from the top rope and his boot caught on turnbuckle meaning he just went straight to the mat. But it did just feel like both teams were on different wave lenghs.

Garnell Mastiff was very good for what it was but was a pretty standard mastiff match

Sha vs Terry was quite brutal towards the start but then became very story driven towards the end yet still very good although it was an odd finish

Scurll vs Generico was an amazing main event and really showed Scurll's full potential as a singles wrestler

Amazing show over all and i can't wait till may

Another fantastic show from IPW:UK. My first show of the year, and what a start!

I'm gonna put brief comments down first before a more comprehensive review.

-LDR's vs O'Reilly/Cole was everything I hoped it would be and more. Slow build at the start, but insane at the end and this was the loudest I've ever heard the Sittingbourne crowd before. Best match on the show for sure.

-Callihan vs T-Bone was okay, but could have been better. They definitely had the intensity and the strikes down, but something was missing.

-All Stars vs Thrillers was good, but a slight disappointment. Botch aside, the two teams seemed to be a little off and weren't really clicking (Can be explained by The Thrillers not teaming for well over a year), but the finish set up a rematch and this match was where Sittingbourne as a whole took on Haskins as mega-babyface.

-Loved the finish to the I Quit match, and Terry Frazier really gave it his all, diving from the stage onto Sha at ringside, using the turnbuckle outside the ring for the assist in a hurricanrana, and an INSANE double knees from the top turnbuckle onto a standing Sha OUTSIDE the ring.

-Generico vs Scurll was a great main event. The crowd was really weird at the beginning of the match and weren't fully into it (maybe cos of the angle from the previous match? I dunno) and it seemed Generico really knew this, so started acting a little more heel-ish, attempted to win by countout, and after he gave a running boot to Scurll outside on a chair and Marty narrowly avoided the count out, the match just kicked into high gear and the crowd was with it 100% as both men just went for broke. Really great match, but I'd put it second against the opener, I Quit match in third.

This DVD will be well worth your time and money, if nothing but just for the opener.

• Paid Members

Marty certainly came through on what has to be the biggest night for his career yet - the main event slot and over 42 minutes between the two matches. Well played sir.

I picked up my Make or Break 2010 and Brawl at the Hall 2010 DVDs as well. I started Make or Break last night, and it was nicely shot compared to the Sittingbourne Spectacular 2010 DVD I purchased back last year - for example, you could actually see something other than shadow when wrestlers left the ring...

The personal senile ramblings of an elderly fan, please feel entitled to disagree, and feel that you are right!

The first IPW Sittingbourne event of the year drew another capacity crowd at the Swallows Leisure Centre, and once again more chairs had to be brought out to provide us all with seats. With people still arriving at 5.30, IPW did pretty well to gets events away about 10 minutes late.

The show opened with what Andy Quilden rightly described as "a match that would normally be top of the bill on any other show in the country".

Tag Champions the Leaders defended their belts against American challengers Kyle O

An absolutely fantastic opener started and stole the show. I told you that LDR's vs O'Reilly & Cole was going to be something else, and I felt it was being a little slept on, but these four went out and put on a clinic in tag team wrestling. This was a better opener than LDR's vs All Stars III, and eventhough this was only my first show of the year, I reckon this match will rank highly if I were to do a live 2011 best of. The LDR's were their usual awesome selves, O'Reilly was game to have a hard hitting, mat based wrestling match with hints of MMA, but Adam Cole, Cole was just there because he took an instant dislike to Zack Sabre Jnr and he was not shy about showing it. The two got in each others face before the match. Cole tagged himself in at the beginning of the match just when Zack and Kyle were about to face off, swiftly got his ass handed to him and tagged out. And from Cole's end then on against Zack, it was cheap shots, hard strikes and even spitting right in his face at one point during the match. Zack and Kyle put on a great display of technical wrestling as each battled for their signature armbar, and the two exchanged BattleArts-esque style slaps and kicks. Marty Scurll even notched up the stiffness and went strike for strike with Kyle. At one point, Marty and Kyle were engaged in a test of strength, while still managing to elbow and kick one another! The match built up slowly as the two teams faced off, but when Cole escalated his personal vendetta against Zack, the match kept pushing forwards higher and higher. Cole hit a dive out to Scurll(?) on the outside. Zack busted Kyle's lip by headbutting him in the face as retaliation to a very nasty slap. Zack tried to gain some retribution on Cole by diving out of the ring towards him, but Cole managed to hit a picture perfect kick to the side of Zack's head to halt those plans. Really, other than saying these four beat the crap out of each other, Adam Cole was a complete dick to Zack Sabre Jnr, both teams managed to hit innovative moves I can't say I've ever seen before, and then finishing stretch must have lasted a good five minutes as the crowd just got louder and louder until at the end, I will say this is the LOUDEST I have ever heard the Sittingbourne crowd. In the end, it was Zack and Kyle struggling for the armbar at the very beginning of the match that brought the match to a conclusion as Zack finally got the tap out victory.

Seriously, go out of your way to see this. I might even state it was better than LDR's vs London/Generico......

You can see in my earlier comments in the thread that I hoped having Jimmy Havoc on the card wouldn't result in any needless garbage wrestling. And I'm happy to see it didn't, Havoc came across decently as a indy CM Punk/Jeff Hardy-esque wrestler, but this match was all about Leroy's brute strength and power as he decimated Havoc. I will definitely be interested in a slow-burn streak for Leroy this year as he builds up towards another title shot.

Callihan vs T-Bone was a war as expected. It seemed that it was a night for stiff strikes as while Callihan and T-Bone weren't going to quite match the opener for stiffness, they still beat on each other pretty damn hard. A good match, but I dunno. Something was missing. They had the strikes, they had the intensity down, but they never really had the crowd. Guess it was a case of both making their debut. T-Bone does look impressive, and this definitely was the best match I've ever seen him have. Still, it more than wet the appetite for me being able to see Callihan vs Low Ki in a couple of weeks.

IPW:UK can't go wrong when it comes to tag wrestling, and The Thrillers vs The All Stars was no exception on the whole, but couldn't really compare to the opener. Another good wrestling match, but again, something was missing. It seemed that the two teams had to work really hard to click so weren't really firing on all cylinders. I guess you can say that The Thrillers haven't teamed in well over a year, so they will need to start getting back into their groove as a tag team if they are to continue together in the future - And with the hammer shot ending, I can see a rematch in the future.

Mastiff vs Garnell was what I expected and nothing more. Mastiff over powers Garnell who retreats. Garnell has to stick at it and take short cuts to get the advantage. Mastiff eventually wins. Bit of a downer match to come back from intermission with as the crowd wasn't really into it.

I had high expectations for the I Quit match, and I do think they were met. We didn't get the explosive start to the match like in August, but both men didn't exactly do a feeling out process beginning either. Sha was fantastic on the mic during the match as he taunted Frazier into quitting, reminding Frazier of past instances where Frazier took the glory and the credit, and when the fans began to chant for Frazier, he remarks how Terry always had the crowd behind him, but no one cared for him. The two brawled around the ring, but when Frazier went for a snap suplex on the entrance stage, Sha reversed it. Terry then followed that by leaping from the stage over the steps onto Sha at ringside. A chair came into play as Sha slammed it down onto Terry's back repeatedly in the ring, but could not get the submission. Sha attempted a dive of his own from the top turnbuckle onto Frazier outside the ring, but Terry got out of the way and a security guard took the brunt of Sha falling down on him. Terry followed it up with a spectacular turnbuckle post assisted hurricanrana onto Sha. And then an INSANE, and I do mean INSANE double knees from the top rope onto a standing Sha outside the ring. And that was the beginning of the end for Samuels as when back inside the ring, Frazier returned the favour with the chair assault before a rock bottom, a second rock bottom onto the chair (although that may have been the third?) and with what appeared to be an unconscious Sha underneath him, Frazier took the mic and said that he was done with Sha.... He quit.

Absolutely fantastic ending. The crowd was stunned and didn't immediately get it, but I loved it. Frazier won the match. If he would have continued, Sha might not have been able to even say I Quit if Frazier kept up the punishment. But Terry, sick with the past year of his life consumed with vengeance against his former partner decided to take the high road and walk away. Yeah I know Sha could come out at the next show and say he never quit and want Frazier's blood, but I'm sure Sha could have continued the feud with Frazier still even if he had, humiliated that he had to utter the words and want revenge. And now the true testament to how strong Frazier quitting is will be where Frazier and Samuels go from here, and how long you can manage to keep them apart from each other, so that when they finally face in the future, all that history and Terry never getting Sha to say I Quit can come flooding back to the surface....

I do think the ending to the last match did mean the main event suffered in the early stages as the crowd just seemeed to be in some kind of weird funk. Generico and Scurll were having a slow burn/build wrestling match, but Generico, even looking a little alarmed by the crowds reaction, decided to heat things up by attempting to get Scurll counted outside the ring several times, culminating in a running big boot to a seated Scurll. And when Scurll got back into the ring, the crowd finally came to life as the two hit some really hard and nasty sounding strikes/chops and had some really great fast paced back and forth wrestling. Towards the close of the match, Generico was chucking bombs at Scurll and he was surviving it all. Yakuza kicks. A dive to the outside of the ring. An exploder into the turnbuckle. A blue thunder driver. A Michonoku driver (I think? sorry hazy memory). One three quarter nelson suplex that everybody thought was the end. A second three quarter nelson suplex, and Scurll is back on his feet screaming, fighting spirit at an all time high, but so close to the turnbuckle that before the scream has lust Scurll's lungs, YAKUZA KICK, SUPER BRAINBUUUUUUUUUUSSSSTAAAAHHHHHHH, Scurll's dead and the match is over.

A guy said to me at the end of the show that he thought Scurll was going to go over, and I know a few people concured. But I think when you rewatch this match, it's not because Scurll ever hit the Graduation (I can't even remember if he got as far as trying to go for it), Scurll only managed to get a lot of his nearfalls from roll up's and pinning combinations, it was a matter that Generico was throwing out EVERYTHING he had in his arsenal, and Scurll was refusing to die. Everyone was waiting for that BIG Scurll come back, so that after Scurll got up after that second three quarter nelson and started screaming, veins popping, the atmosphere was electric, so much so that with the Yakuza and Super Brainbuster so shortly afterwards, it just came across as SO much more brutal in that it HAD to be the end of the match.

An absolutely star making singles encounter for Marty Scurll, and one I can't wait to rewatch again and again.

• Paid Members

I'm not sure if they're putting up the matches individually or as whole shows. Last night at the Tap, Andy said that show would be up "this week", which would be excellent.

Another amazing set of shows from IPW. Sittingbourne being especially brilliant. Don't really need to say much more as the other have done such a good job describing the details etc.

There is one thing I would like to see more of in Sittingbourne and that's heels vs. faces. Two guys/teams competing for the sake of competition is all well and good but if there were more heel/face match ups, it'd help the audience to get into the show more. Out of the 7 matches, only 2 (maybe 3 if you count Garnell/Mastif) were solid heel/face. I believe nearly every match should be heel vs. face, but that's my preference. I like it being very obvious who we're meant to be cheering, especially with that audience. I was told by a couple of people that their was "something missing" at recent Sittingbourne shows, and I think that's it.

• 2 weeks later...

A three prong update here:

This show is available on the IPW:UK on demand website at 7.99 so hopefully that means the actual DVD release is coming soon - http://www.ipwuk.com/ondemand/

IPW:UK have put on FB that updates for the Sittingbourne Spectacular should be coming today.

And LDR's vs Cole & O'Reilly III (the second match took place on the last day of the 16 Carat) has been announced for the WXW show in Philadelphia in a couple of weeks time. So now Marty gets to join Zack in the states, but I don't know if his stay is expected to be as long as Zack's.

So big congrats to Marty Scurll!

A three prong update here:

This show is available on the IPW:UK on demand website at 7.99 so hopefully that means the actual DVD release is coming soon - http://www.ipwuk.com/ondemand/

IPW:UK have put on FB that updates for the Sittingbourne Spectacular should be coming today.

And LDR's vs Cole & O'Reilly III (the second match took place on the last day of the 16 Carat) has been announced for the WXW show in Philadelphia in a couple of weeks time. So now Marty gets to join Zack in the states, but I don't know if his stay is expected to be as long as Zack's.

So big congrats to Marty Scurll!

Great Finds Thanks :)

Archived