worst wrestling company in the UK

JakeRobertsParoleOfficer

• Paid Members

I dont mind the tributes either. If the fans have a good laugh and the wrestlers get a good payday, then thats all good. I went to see one in 2001, with Sex Pac and Legend of Doom on the show. It was pretty entertaining, for what it was. Its going to be hard to convince me that people actually think they are seeing the real thing on these shows. If people go to the Lesuire Centre and pay 6 quid thinking its the real Undertaker, its not the promoters fault.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Fake Wolfpac Sting was the man!. The tribute shows when they came here were decent for a laugh, although half the show was usually spent getting warned by the "commentator" that if anyone else touched the wrestlers or threw anything again, then the show would be cancelled... Noone ever listened. I still remember when my mate Hendo sconned the "Undertaker" in the face with a green Starburst from a good 50 feet away once, you just can't have that type of fun at a proper show.

• Paid Members
JWF.

There's nothing worse than uncoordinated and reckless backyarders who think they're the real deal just because they hired a ring for the afternoon.

Where's this based. I knew a shit JWF in Worthing, but I didn't think it was still going.

• Paid Members
Fake Wolfpac Sting was the man!. The tribute shows when they came here were decent for a laugh, although half the show was usually spent getting warned by the "commentator" that if anyone else touched the wrestlers or threw anything again, then the show would be cancelled... Noone ever listened. I still remember when my mate Hendo sconned the "Undertaker" in the face with a green Starburst from a good 50 feet away once, you just can't have that type of fun at a proper show.

Fake Wolfpac Sting? Damn, never saw that show.

I saw a tribute WWF show at the Dolphin Centre in Darlington around 2000. Had all of the usual suspects: fake Kane, fake Undertaker, fake X-Pac, fake Steve Austin, fake The Rock, and Robbie Brookside. I remember Robbie Brookside, because I thought he was supposed to be Chris Jericho. How stupid I felt when I came to know just who he is in the wrestling industry.

I dont mind the tributes either. If the fans have a good laugh and the wrestlers get a good payday, then thats all good. I went to see one in 2001, with Sex Pac and Legend of Doom on the show. It was pretty entertaining, for what it was. Its going to be hard to convince me that people actually think they are seeing the real thing on these shows. If people go to the Lesuire Centre and pay 6 quid thinking its the real Undertaker, its not the promoters fault.

I have to respectfully disagree Ian, if a parent or grandparent with no knowledge of wrestling or the value of WWE tickets or where they normally perform sees 'Undertaker' on a poster and tells their 6 year old son or grandson that The Undertaker is coming to town the young kid isnt going to know to correct them and say "silly daddy, Taker wouldnt perform in this shithole of a town in front of 200 people". He is just going to be delighted and they will get family tickets not knowing they are effectively being ripped off. When GPW or IPW or PBW follow them into town 6 months later with a proper show nobody turns up cos of the shit they have seen before.

If the wrestling is good without ripping off gimmicks then they should just wrestler and develop their own characters, the cheap and fake gimmicks take away from the show in my opinion rather than add to them and it puts off punters attending genuine wrestling shows later

Personally i HATE tribute shows. I think its a way of conning people into seeing something there not as Fye has said. Maybe im being unfair, however i just think that they ruin wrestling and contribute to making our British scene look cheap.

"If the wrestling is good without ripping off gimmicks then they should just wrestler and develop their own characters, the cheap and fake gimmicks take away from the show in my opinion rather than add to them and it puts off punters attending genuine wrestling shows later" - totally agree 100% with that statement.

• Paid Members

I have to respectfully disagree Ian, if a parent or grandparent with no knowledge of wrestling or the value of WWE tickets or where they normally perform sees 'Undertaker' on a poster and tells their 6 year old son or grandson that The Undertaker is coming to town the young kid isnt going to know to correct them and say "silly daddy, Taker wouldnt perform in this shithole of a town in front of 200 people". He is just going to be delighted and they will get family tickets not knowing they are effectively being ripped off. When GPW or IPW or PBW follow them into town 6 months later with a proper show nobody turns up cos of the shit they have seen before.

If the wrestling is good without ripping off gimmicks then they should just wrestler and develop their own characters, the cheap and fake gimmicks take away from the show in my opinion rather than add to them and it puts off punters attending genuine wrestling shows later

I once heard a small child say something to the effect of "Rey must be here, theres pictures of him on the shirts look" as the farther tried to let them down gently at the merchandise stall.

Ohh to be 6 again.

oh the days eh, especially whent aprents or ageing relatives used to think that all games worked on the same system (cheers for the ds game, how do i play that on my nes then?), or that Nicks shoes were the same as Nike, or that they could buy you really bad looking 'label's off a market store under the proviso no one would notice (always loved that line "no one will notice" as Uncle Chester gave you a football shirt with Munchester United on the badge, and a Ombro logo on it).

i went to a show once in 93 and it had warrior written on it (i was 13 so at least knew it wasnt going to be Jim Hellwig). The parents were none the wiser so little charlie's at the stall saying "warriors going to be here" and the parents would be saying "yes he is, warrior is here" etc (probably just to shut him up). The lights dim, the music hits and is it Jim hellwig in all his 270lb juiced up glory.................no! the zulu warrior pops up doing a dance. There then follows the almost in unison cry of 30 heartbroken kids.

I must confess i really hated All-Stars promoting back then. you could guarantee 70% of the featured wrestlers wouldnt be there.

JakeRobertsParoleOfficer Posted Today, 11:30 AM

Personally i HATE tribute shows. I think its a way of conning people into seeing something there not as Fye has said. Maybe im being unfair, however i just think that they ruin wrestling and contribute to making our British scene look cheap.

"If the wrestling is good without ripping off gimmicks then they should just wrestler and develop their own characters, the cheap and fake gimmicks take away from the show in my opinion rather than add to them and it puts off punters attending genuine wrestling shows later" - totally agree 100% with that statement.

Would you level the same response towards a musical tribute act?

I've been to see many musical tribute acts for bands like Bon Jovi, Guns and Roses and AC/DC. Some smaller musical venues rely on these tribute acts as they are the one that pull the crowds.

With regards to tribute shows, I think it depends on how it is presented. If the posters have pictures of the tribute wrestlers on the poster, but does not include a message stating that they are tributes ('The Unofficial' Undertaker and 'Bootleg' Batista, for example), then there is a problem. Parents will know that the real Abba aren't going to be performing at their local pub, but may think that 'a wrestler from the tele' might be at their local wrestling show. I don't think there is a problem with tribute wrestlers, just as long as paying customers are made aware that they are not the real deal. I don't think there are many going any more, really. Just the ones featuring the Underfaker.

In terms of worst wrestling companies, I think it is any that perform in tatty rings with pale, skinny untrained 'wrestlers', and unfortunately, there are quite a few feds that are like this. Whoever rents their ring to them, please stop. Then maybe they will go away.

Tribute shows did alot of damage to the UK scene I'd say. Instead of rebuilding fanbases within the UK we instead gave bargain bin WWE tributes

HOWEVER, these shows DID have from what I remember very good wrestlers involved in it. I remember in fact seeing the likes of Skull Murphy etc scattered between it all.

With as much damage as tribute shows done they are not NEARLY As damaging as some of the utter shite you see within the UK. From what I have seen the likes of IWF for me are some of the worst. Skinny kids who look straight out the backyard doing shows for

Archived