Louis Theroux's wierd weekend: Wrestling

Risk

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was on the MSN homepage today, found it fairly interesting, despite the obvious 'American bodybuilding spandex wrestling' stereotype.

It's presented as a new tv show, despite it being an inside look on wrestling, more specifically WCW.

Here.

To be fair I was going to post something like ' not this thread .....again!' But to be fair this is still an interesting look at this business, but it is really old, does anybody know of any, more updated documentaries kicking about?

Sorry, never seen it before. Just thought it would have some kind of current relevance, as it was on the homepage of MSN news, which is one of the biggest websites in the country.

It was worth watching to see the abortion that is known as the Powerplant wrestling academy. I'd heard stories about it, but fuck, it seriously looks like an utter abomination.

• Paid Members
it seriously looks like an utter abomination.

I wouldnt go that far. By building Bill Goldberg there it paid for itself ten times over. Sarge was almost definitely beaten as a child though.

The greatest part (that I always forget) is when they tell louis to get on the floor, wave his arms and legs and call himself a cockroach. I guess every other trainee that has been in that position screamed "No sarge! NO SIR, I wont say it!" but louis just repeats it and everyone goes batshit. Its amazing.

Ive never used msn viseo player, theres some good stuff on there. I never saw the Self-fulfilment episode of weird weekends. $500 for a self help program? and that was filmed over ten years ago. Jesus Christ!

Dory Funk Jr has been critical of Sarge's training as has a few other people involved in wrestling training. Aparently Sarge never taught people to really protect their opponents.

Aparently when some former powerplant members went to the school dory runs he had to re program them.

• Paid Members
Aparently when some former powerplant members went to the school dory runs he had to re program them.

Well thats no shock. WWE sent about 40 of them to OVW and HWA in 2001 after a load of them had been on WCW TV for a year.

I know training schools are often criticised of 'cookie cutting' wrestlers, but christ the Power Plant took it to the extreme. Jindrak, O'Haire, Palumbo etc- at first I found it hard to tell them all apart. All had an impressive physique, a 'real' name and a bland persona. The scary thing is that WCW threw them straight in at the deep end.

Plenty of decent hands came out of the Power Plant. Most of them just made their debuts on the most watched wrestling show in the world. You can't blame them for being green. Also, you see Sarge working the shit out of Theroux because he doesn't want a queen thinking just anyone can do it. Also, being a worker, he probably saw through Louis' faux naivet

• Moderators
Plenty of decent hands came out of the Power Plant. Most of them just made their debuts on the most watched wrestling show in the world. You can't blame them for being green.

Well put. Look at Mark Jindrak these days, nothing wrong with him since he got a little polish. I always liked Kwee Wee, and Sean O'Haire, and the Power Plant did a shitload for DDP.

Hardbody Harrison is inexcusable however.

Archived