NXT Season 4

ninevisions

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the exception of Brodus, they all look like the most generic bunch of jobronies ever! Yet more of the typical pant-wearing, well-tanned, tight-abs-having dullards. Horrid bunch of promos too.

I think Byron Saxton seems to be the best bet, at least he seems pretty good on the mic. Stupid name though, much like, well... all of them really!

Bryan and Alberto should be great pro's though, and any time they meet in the ring is a good thing.

I've only looked at the photo's on WWE.com but they don't all look like cookie cutter wrestlers. Brodious Clay has got a great look. Well, until he puts a beret on anyway. Byron Saxton has a cool look too. He looks like someone who'd excel in the MVP gimmick. Derrick Bateman also looks quite unique though that's probably just the hair. He looks like he was conceived by Strike Force.

The rest look like everyone else who comes through the system.

Well, I mentioned Brodus in the first line, so you are disagreeing with me based upon Saxton having a good look (well-build, slim, abs-having - just like almost all of them - as I said) and Bateman's fuzzy hair.

Ok then.

:p

Fuzzy hair kept Carlito in a job for 5 years. Don't knock it.

Wasn't so fortunate for Ricky Ortiz (Atlas DaBone). :p

Yeah but look at him now - he might be wrestling in front of about 15 people, but he gets to be mates with Razor Ramon and appear in all his Youtube videos.

New NXT is shit, anyway. Suffered greatly from lack of Michael Cole. Josh gave it a try, but with Grisham next to him it was fruitless.

Yeah Grish is bloody awful. He just lacks..well.. anything at all that makes him seem like a real person and not just a recorded, automated voice. He's like a railway station PA system. Ed-209 had more emotion in his voice. He'd still probably outshine most of the rookies though!

• Awards Moderator

I didn't think Mathews and Grisham were too bad, but they can always bring Cole in at a later point in the season. For the moment, anyway, I don't think the commentary should have the overt burials that last season had - if they're going to attempt to make any of these people into stars, give them a chance to establish themselves before Cole spends an hour telling us how worthless they all are.

Not saying he'd necessarily do that, as in every other respect NXT seems to have gone back to the formula of season 1 and so Cole would probably only mock Bateman, but the expectation now is to do it to practically everyone.

Anyway... I enjoyed the show. As I just said, it reminded me of the first season a bit, and that was usually a good watch.

Initial impressions of the rookies:

Conor O'Brian: I like him. The ratface promo at the start instantly gave him something distinctive to latch onto, and he's got Del Rio too, so he should do okay.

Brodus Clay: Great look, fills a niche of "big fat powerhouse guy" that's not really there in WWE-proper since Big Daddy V left (Mark Henry doesn't count), but can't see him as a singles guy - however, being a bodyguard for someone like DiBiase is a different story.

Derrick Bateman: wasn't sure at the start, but pairing him with Bryan was an excellent touch. Bryan was doing everything he could to make Bateman stand out and it worked - I also like the angle they've taken with Bryan of "my pro was a bastard to me, so I'm going to do the total opposite". And the airplane spin was good.

Jacob Novak: He's tall, isn't he? If Brodus' video package is to be believe, he's 6'8", and Novak looked taller than Brodus... blimey. Anyway, I was expecting him to be superbland but he did okay. Might well do decently, and having Ziggler as a pro should help him out. He does look like Jacob from LOST, too. I hope there's an unnamed brother Novak who wears black trunks and uses black Tajiri mist, and can take the shape of dead wrestlers... I'll stop.

Byron Saxton: Meh. Doesn't stand out for me yet. Masters was good in that backstage segment though.

Johnny Curtis: Nice legdrop, but like Saxton, he didn't stand out much. Seemed decent in the ring, but I'm not sure how much being paired with R-Truth will do for him.

No real outstanding rookies yet, but there's still time...

• Paid Members

I wasn't keen on Novac. He has nowhere near the level of charisma required to pull off the gimmick they wanted him to. As for the new announce team, I liked Matthews but I'm not keen on Grisham. Maybe it's because I subconsciously associate his voice with the viewing Hell that is Smackdown, but there's something about his voice that makes me want to switch off. I'd like to see Josh Matthews and CM Punk. Colt Cabana/Scotty Goldman seemed pretty good in FCW too, so maybe he'd be a good shout should they want to changes things about a little.

My favorite rookie so far is Saxton. I'm surprised other people feel differently. He's got a great gimmick, and will get over hugely as a heel. He could do quite well for himself if he has the ring skills to back it up.

As for Brodus, if he's any good in ring I think he'll make a fantastic upper card heel. The WWE is crying out for a good new big man right now, and maybe he can fit the role?

• Awards Moderator

Wow, WWE wrestlers' entrance themes have really shit lyrics. 'Sexy Boy' is the only one that even made the remotest bit of sense.

Erm, anyway. There's still no standout on the level of Bryan/Barrett in season 1 or Kaval/Showtime in season 2 yet, but I'm a bit more convinced on most of the rookies, particularly Byron Saxton, who was very good throughout the episode. I'm sold on Saxton. Could definitely see him slot nicely into the midcard somewhere, especially now MVP's gone.

Brodus isn't looking as promising as I'd hoped... the 'disrupt the obstacle course' thing would have been better if I hadn't kept thinking that Husky Harris did the same thing loads better in season 2. There's still hope though.

I kind of like Novak - a lot of potential. I may be alone in this, but he could do quite well. Making the moves on Vickie, as well...

Ratface didn't get to do much this week, but I am glad he got a "see?" into his singing. His biggest problem's going to be his pro - Del Rio's head and shoulders above all the rookies put together in terms of personality.

Speaking of personality, Johnny Curtis showed some hints of one this week, but where was R-Truth? Something happen to him on RAW?

And finally, Bateman. He's the only one who got a reaction, which must count for something. And he appears to be on a losing streak... all he needs is Cole to mock him and he could actually win the thing.

I watched every painful moment of the last season of NXT without touching the fast-forward. The piss-take commentary made anything watchable.

However, I did not watch the karaoke segment. I can't stand shit like that, it makes me want to stab my own balls off just to get my mind off it. What the fuck does singing have to do with charisma anyway!

Boring show. Not as god-awful at RAW though.

Bateman only got a reaction because of a hometown cheap-pop, so you can't really give him too much credit for that. I do like him though. There's something likeable about him. He plays his wacky character so big that he wouldn't be out of place in something like Anchorman, and yet he still feels kind of authentic, which is something I don't get from a Byron Saxton. Saxton seems to have the confidence and the look, but every time he says or does something it feels like play-acting. It's possible he just needs to relax a little bit though.

Novak impressed me again this week. His hair and general look are off-putting, but I thought he did the karaoke well (relatively speaking), good on the obstacle course and I liked his interaction with Vickie. In fact, that inverted love triangle story could be very good to him. Kaitlyn's NXT win was entirely predicated on that story filling TV time, and unless they find an angle for someone else to run with, that easy retread may give Novak every opportunity to shine. Whether he's actually good enough to succeed from it, though, I have no idea.

No-one else stood out in any way. I liked Brodus' Earthquake-like attire, Curtis is a boring everyman so far and O'Brian was practically anonymous.

Other notes:

- when Curtis said "gazelle-like", Grisham said "it'll be tough on the push-ups" and Striker laughed. Curtis smiled broadly at Striker as if Striker was laughing at his joke. I found that delightfully awkward.

- Grisham is still a wet blanket. Josh seems to despair at his every comment.

- I remember someone saying DiBiase's new music is a crowd-killer and they're dead on. Awful.

- HEEL HOOK LESSONS ftw. Bryan submission masterclasses in the vein of Cody Rhodes' Grooming Tips would be awesome.

- Del Rio is an awful pick for a Pro. They're still trying to put him over and so there's no time for his rookie.

Archived