Going to Barcelona

aaron

Hello people,

We recently booked a couple of nights in Barcelona, going early next year.

If anybody has been and would like to share stories, give some tips or advice, and generally big the place up then please do.

We're up for some Gaudi and Tapas, maybe some Picasso. Maybe take in the Nou Camp too.

Cheers.

:)

• Paid Members

They do mini tours on a bus, costs about 20 euros a person and lasts an hour or so depending on which of the 3 routes you take. Make sure you ask on the bus for headphones so you can listen to the recorded guide.

They have a museum of Catalan Art thats brilliant, loads of Picasso and a couple of Dali works among others. Me and the wife visited a few months back and loved every second of the city. We ate in the museum itself, nice little snack shop that served tapas.

Just got back from there the other week actually, mate. Sagrada Familia, Nou Camp (went to watch Barca play the other week, it was a great experience), Las Ramblas (and it's adjoining harbour) and the house that Gaudi designed are all places you have to go and see. Also, something that I'd never do in another country but you should definitely do in Barcelona is go on one of those double decker coach tours through the city. There are loads of little things that might interest you.

When you get to the airport, get a Barcelona pass. Really cheap and it gives you unlimited travel on the metro and buses and the RENFE (which you'll probably use to get into the city centre from the airport).

Where are you staying?

We're staying at a hotel called Acta Splendid in Carre de Muntaner, near the University and Playa Catalana. Looks like its right where we wanna be?

I well appreciate these tips dudes.

Is Park Guell worth the journey? We have 48 hours in the city. We arrive about 1pm and leave about 3pm two days later.

There are some amazing places to eat near the marina, especially if you love seafood as most of the fish is freshly caught. Try and get a proper paella with squid ink, nobody in the world does it better.

Sagrada Familia is impressive, so I'd check that out as well. The whole front near the beach is nice to walk down as well, shouldn't be too many hustlers given the time of year, and there is some cool architecture as you go further up.

Club wise La Terrazza is an awesome night, incredible in summer watching the sun rise from the terrace. There is also an amazing (but relatively small) club called 'The Loft' or something which has good dance DJ's on sometimes.

I love Barcelona, went last year to see Metallica over there. Sagrada Familia is massively impressive but expect it to be quite busy. I found just wandering around was great, I'm pretty well orientated so I never felt lost and the Metro stations are easy to find and plentyful to get your bearings. Its really is a great city. They do tours of the Camp Nou which is pretty cool, you get to go in the changing rooms and gantry and stuff, its pretty cheap too if you book in advance. They say be wary of pickpockets but I think thats just general for any big city really, I've never had any problem. If beaches are your thing, Barceloneta beach is lovely. Next time I'm totally doing the art stuff, I didn't get to last time as my mrs isn't too interested but I'm a massive fan of Salvador Dali, hopefully I can get out there next year too.

Is RENFE the aerobus? That'll probably be the method of airport transfer innit?

I gotta find myself some more info on these tour buses. Find out where they go etc. They are definitely on the to do list as well as hiring a bike for an hour or two.

Also have to do the Cassa Mila, Manzana de la whatever with Cassa Batters, and a strut about Port Vell and Barceloneta.

Originally thought we had to do the Picasso museum but it now sounds that the museum of catalan art should be the priority on that score.

Man, I'm right looking forward to this trip and already regret not stumping out the cash for a third night. Would have only been another

• 2 months later...

My main tip would be not to be afraid of their tube. Once you figure out what you're doing on it, it's excellent. When I just went, I only went for 4 or 4 nights, did nou camp tour, which was good, the zoo, which was ok if you like zoos, and went for an excellent walk to a park guell. Really good on a hot day.

If you want to check out the nightlife, make sure you've got a couple of hundred quid on you!

Archived