Feuds where the heel was in the right

Dashing

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sid Justice eliminating Hogan from the 1992 Rumble. It's sold as every man for himself, yet when Sid chucks out the favourite he is made a heel. Interesting note that the crowd actually cheered this when it happened but was covered over with boos on the official release.

Bret Hart 1997 too. Bret was so right, it was great.

Still irritates me to this day that Hogan couldn't just walk to the back when he was eliminated like anyone else. He did the same at the 89 Rumble when he helped eliminate the Bossman after the Twin Towers dumped him out.

Not really promoting anything to kids apart from that its cool to be a sore loser.

I'll let it drop now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

1997 seemed to be the year where WWF really started blurring the lines and changing the dynamic with what made a babyface, a babyface and a heel, a heel as mentioned previously with the obvious Austin-Hart example, mainly down to the audience/society dictating that change.

Another in the same year mind, although cleverly presented to paint Undertaker as the victim to sympathize with, was the Kane angle (initially anyway). Paul Bearer and well, poor Kane especially, were in the right really. Paul was only ever telling the truth, that being that, that evil red headed Undertaker lad killed his parents, burnt down the funeral home and as far as he knew killed his little brother too and ran away like a coward.

Even though it was not a feud. When Kurt Angle went undercover in the alliance and brought them down at survivor series 2001. The night after on raw Vince was going to give the wwf title to Angle, But Austin who was the leader of the alliance stunned Angle and took back the title. And when the segment was over the fans cheered Austin and Angle was booed :confused: Because as I remember it Angle was a face before the fake turn when he joined the alliance, And Austin was a heel that genuinely wanted to put an end to the wwf. Does anyone know why it went down that way??

Throughout the evening they had loads of backstage promos in which all the wrestler said "You didn't do this for the WWE... you did it for yourself. You selfishly switch sides constantly to guarantee you would have a job and didn't give a shit which company went under."

Personally I thought it was well executed. Though I admit the way they handled Austin was confusing. They never gave us a reason as to why Austin jumped shipped to WCW.

Austin said on an episode of Raw/Smackdown that he joined the Alliance because he thought Vince was lining Angle up to be his number one wrestler instead of Austin, so it played into the Austin being paranoid about everything aspect they introduced to his character after his initial heel turn

And just for the lulz, who's a better "worker" than Cena?

Hogan

I think that the dislike of Cena has to do with the context. Of course us 18-35 guys don't mark for the guy as he's waving the flag of the PG era which is totally the opposite of what we grew up watching. Personally for me that started around '98 I'd say, so attitude era WWF, Goldberg WCW and ECW. I mean, for me, '98-'01 has never been topped and probably never will.

But I went to a house show the other week and Cena, work wise, is head and shoulders above anyone else. The only one who comes close is Orton and he's still miles behind in terms of working the crowd. Cena is WWE, and you don't get that from not being able to 'work'.

• Paid Members
1997 seemed to be the year where WWF really started blurring the lines and changing the dynamic with what made a babyface, a babyface and a heel, a heel as mentioned previously with the obvious Austin-Hart example, mainly down to the audience/society dictating that change.

You're right. Although even after going the way of the anti-hero, and it being a roaring success, they still had one last go at the all American superhero with The Patriot. I think it was after that bombed that they realised they had to completely change the face/heel dynamic and the product for good.

• Paid Members

Tito Santana and Rick Martel.

Santana NEVER visited him in hospital in the year and a half he was out after his destruction by the Demolition. Never once. Now Santana wants them to be tag-buddies!?!?!?

The situation gets worse when Santana clobbers Martel at Wrestlemania 5. Now he's not visited him in hospital and then he clobbers him in his bad neck. F*ck him. Martel was in the right. :p

• Paid Members
Even though it was not a feud. When Kurt Angle went undercover in the alliance and brought them down at survivor series 2001.

That confused the hell out of me too. I definitely interpreted Kurt's actions as a face turn, and it seemed really lazy to turn Austin back just by having Vince and Angle act like twats all night and have Austin come out and attack them. Seemed like they were flashing subliminal "AUSTIN IS A FACE AGAIN" messages through the screen and we just accepted it. Makes sense though as I think they knew they would be getting Rock less and less, although how far Stone Cold seemed away from the belt by the time of WM18 was really inexplicable/inexcusable.

Even though it was not a feud. When Kurt Angle went undercover in the alliance and brought them down at survivor series 2001. The night after on raw Vince was going to give the wwf title to Angle, But Austin who was the leader of the alliance stunned Angle and took back the title. And when the segment was over the fans cheered Austin and Angle was booed :confused: Because as I remember it Angle was a face before the fake turn when he joined the alliance, And Austin was a heel that genuinely wanted to put an end to the wwf. Does anyone know why it went down that way??

Throughout the evening they had loads of backstage promos in which all the wrestler said "You didn't do this for the WWE... you did it for yourself. You selfishly switch sides constantly to guarantee you would have a job and didn't give a shit which company went under."

Personally I thought it was well executed. Though I admit the way they handled Austin was confusing. They never gave us a reason as to why Austin jumped shipped to WCW.

Austin said on an episode of Raw/Smackdown that he joined the Alliance because he thought Vince was lining Angle up to be his number one wrestler instead of Austin, so it played into the Austin being paranoid about everything aspect they introduced to his character after his initial heel turn

Hah. Must of missed that.

Personally I would of thought a better reason would of been Austin saying "You know what... that git did everything in his power to fuck up my first title reign! Why shouldn't I jump ship and force him to lose his business and legacy?"

• Paid Members
Personally I would of thought a better reason would of been Austin saying "You know what... that git did everything in his power to fuck up my first title reign! Why shouldn't I jump ship and force him to lose his business and legacy?"

First, second, third, fourth!

Archived