Feuds where the heel was in the right

Dashing

I brought this up in a similar thread a few months back, but Dean Malenko vs Lita/the Hardys. Basically, the James Bond of the WWF was trying his best to woo Lita, and she was having none of it. After a few weeks of hapless courting, she seemed to take pity on Deano and let him take her out for a meal, which finished early as Lita announced her amorous intentions, prompting Dean to bellow the immortal line 'WAITER, CHECK!'. When they got back to the hotel, it was revealed that it had all been a nasty trick, with the Hardy Boys appearing from nowhere to clobber Dean with a lamp and flip the bed over on top of him.

The only suggestion throughout the feud that Malenko was in the wrong was that he was supposedly married, but given this was around the time Val Venis and the Godfather were babyfaces, it hardly broke the moral code of the WWF landscape at the time. Lita, on the other hand, was a right bitch to Malenko throughout the storyline, manipulating him out of a perfectly good steak dinner and causing him to get his clock cleaned by a couple of smug little emo twats. I couldn't see any way that most male WWF fans wouldn't be cheering when the Radicalz subsequently battered the Hardys.

Love it if someone could find a link to this. :thumbsup:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Sid Justice eliminating Hogan from the 1992 Rumble. It's sold as every man for himself, yet when Sid chucks out the favourite he is made a heel. Interesting note that the crowd actually cheered this when it happened but was covered over with boos on the official release.

Silver Vision released the full version over here though. I have the VHS from the time it was released and its "Sidamania" running wild. For someone who is apparently a waste of space and useless, Sid had a habit of completely overshadowing whoever the 'Man' was at the time.

shawn in his feud with hogan before summserslam 05 spoke pretty true of constantly immortalising himself, while hogan lived off a reputation he had made years earlier, afterall shawn was the one still with the company making young stars look good

Then Hogan mentioned about Michaels going home and "losing his smile" and double-crossing a fellow employee in the ring (something Hogan never did) and Hogan was totally in the right. Hogan always made the young stars look good. They looked great getting all that pussy in the 80s and buying houses because of a show people were watching because he was on it.

He intentionally stole the limelight from Warrior, which he bragged about. He also, depending on who you believe, was behind the non-fast count over Sting (Patrick has confirmed in interviews that there was a faction wanting him to make a non-fast count).

• Paid Members
He intentionally stole the limelight from Warrior, which he bragged about. He also, depending on who you believe, was behind the non-fast count over Sting (Patrick has confirmed in interviews that there was a faction wanting him to make a non-fast count).

Isnt the same at all. Both knew the deal going into it. There's difference between protecting your spot and stock and lying both before and after and then double crossing someone infront of a live audience. The handshake is totally overblown anyway. I was a kid at the time. It was order of the day for a babyface to shake hands with the winning babyface. It was good thing he did as well, because the Warrior would have died of his arse eventually anyway.

Also, Nick Patrick said he "couldnt remember the incident" on his shoot interview from the other year, but the story goes like this. Sting was paid 7 figures to do run-ins and sit at home for 18 months. He returned out of shape and pasty skinned and hadnt even been to work out at the power plant to shake off his ring rust. Hogan layed the match out to Stings face before hand. No backstabbing. He told him how it was. Yes it was the wrong decision, because it cut Stings legs off, but he didnt double cross him. Also, Hogan was a big money draw on both of those occassions, so the risk of failure wasnt as high as anyone of Michaels backstabbing acts. For example: Hogan killed off Vader in WCW in 1995. Didnt really matter, because WCW had opponents lined up for Hogan and could spend money to bring in others down the road to keep business rolling. Vader was a monster in 1996 in the WWF. He went nuts at the Rumble, squashed Yokozuna and beat up Gorilla Monsoon. Shawn Michaels squashed him like he was Mike Sharpe. Vader could have been the Andre to Michaels Hogan in 1996, but instead the program was killed off before it got started.

Sid was great from his run with the Sky scrapers all the way to 1999. Would never dispute that. But now with a seriously smaller stature and genuinely being an old man, with serious doubts about his ability to work after a serious (to put it lightly) leg injury. He would add very little in 2010.

All the smart fans are gone mostly. You think the kids that watch wrestling today are gonna cheer Sid?

I wasnt pulling for his return or anything, but it would be nice to see him on that retro-show they are doing. Really surprised he never turned up on TNA though. He seems made for them. A Steiner vs Sid in a "you moved out of the way and I broke my leg" feud seems like something they'd have went for a few years ago.

I am. He's still huge, he still has half the brain you have, he can still deliver a powerbomb. The only real letdown for a possible Sid return is that Batista's left the WWE, and that was the matchup I wanted to see.

This might be obvious but any heel V John Cena.

The hate on John Cena is just boring now, and has been for quite a while.

I loved the Jericho/Michaels fueds. Didn't Jericho buy into the fact Michaels had a leg injury, only to be made to look like a chump when Michaels admitted he was a liar? Think the crowd cheered for Michaels that night too!

For example: Hogan killed off Vader in WCW in 1995. Didnt really matter, because WCW had opponents lined up for Hogan and could spend money to bring in others down the road to keep business rolling. Vader was a monster in 1996 in the WWF. He went nuts at the Rumble, squashed Yokozuna and beat up Gorilla Monsoon. Shawn Michaels squashed him like he was Mike Sharpe. Vader could have been the Andre to Michaels Hogan in 1996, but instead the program was killed off before it got started.

It wasn't just Michaels that ruined Vader though. They had him jobbing to The Warrior and Ahmed Johnson in super-short squash matches on all the house shows didn't they.

In the build-up to Summerslam, Vader was the first guy to pin Michaels on TV since Wrestlemania 11, then in the Summerslam match, Vader beat Michaels by countout, then by DQ, then kicked out of Sweet Chin Music before getting pinned by a moonsault after missing his own.

I thought Vader looked strong in that match, and only afterwards did they start jobbing him out.

A shame (whoever was to blame) as I loved Vader and he could have been a main event player, rather than a flash in the (WWF) pan.

For example: Hogan killed off Vader in WCW in 1995. Didnt really matter, because WCW had opponents lined up for Hogan and could spend money to bring in others down the road to keep business rolling. Vader was a monster in 1996 in the WWF. He went nuts at the Rumble, squashed Yokozuna and beat up Gorilla Monsoon. Shawn Michaels squashed him like he was Mike Sharpe. Vader could have been the Andre to Michaels Hogan in 1996, but instead the program was killed off before it got started.

It wasn't just Michaels that ruined Vader though. They had him jobbing to The Warrior and Ahmed Johnson in super-short squash matches on all the house shows didn't they.

In the build-up to Summerslam, Vader was the first guy to pin Michaels on TV since Wrestlemania 11, then in the Summerslam match, Vader beat Michaels by countout, then by DQ, then kicked out of Sweet Chin Music before getting pinned by a moonsault after missing his own.

I thought Vader looked strong in that match, and only afterwards did they start jobbing him out.

A shame (whoever was to blame) as I loved Vader and he could have been a main event player, rather than a flash in the (WWF) pan.

Yeah but at the end of the six man match where Vader pins Shawn, does Shawn lay down and sell this fact to build upon for weeks leading upto Summerslam? No he doesn't he flips up and gives a tope to all the baddies and poses in the ring with his two muscle headed pals...I really felt sorry for Vader after that as you knew even when the spotlight was on him, he was just another guy for Shawn to beat.

Yeah but at the end of the six man match where Vader pins Shawn, does Shawn lay down and sell this fact to build upon for weeks leading upto Summerslam? No he doesn't he flips up and gives a tope to all the baddies and poses in the ring with his two muscle headed pals...I really felt sorry for Vader after that as you knew even when the spotlight was on him, he was just another guy for Shawn to beat.

Haha, I didn't say it was all perfect, but regardless of that moment, at the end of Summerslam I don't think anyone thought "well, that Vader is shit isn't he" I'm pretty sure most people saw that it was Michaels' hardest task to date and that surely a re-match would be in the works. He'd pinned Michaels on PPV the month before for the first time in over a year and was the first guy to kick out of Michaels' finish. That's hardly jobbing him out like a bitch is it.

After Summerslam they just seemed to forget about him and start turning him into a fat job-boy. I just don't really think it's accurate to say that "Michaels beat him like Mike Sharpe" that's all.

Vader should have got the push that Sid did after that, going into Survivors and beyond.

Vader over Sid, every day of the week!!!

Erm, more recently Sting and Kevin Nash? No? OK.

In terms of them being on the right side of the fence, yeah, maybe.

But the stuff with Sting was just so silly. Sting really wants Dixie to wake up and realize that she's being played, but rather than, y'know, just actually TELLING HER, he wanders around backstage talking bollocks cryptic clues and attacking people for months.

"I tried to tell you Dixie, but you wouldn't listen"

Fuck off Steve. If you can't put together a coherent sentence why would anyone bother listening to you!

Batista in his fantastic feud with Cena leading up to Wrestlemania and beyond. Cena is such a company man, always getting the limelight where Batista is far cooler and just as successful (kayfabe wise).

Randy Savage vs Hulk Hogan in 1988/89. Hogan was clearly stepping into the comfort zone. In real life if that was my lass, I'd be tempted to order a 300 quid replica WWF title belt and smack the lad over the head with it if he was getting to pally with my lass.

Always thought Foley and Edge were in the right in 2006 when they had that feud against ECW. Foley was actually kicking Heyman's arse as far as his "whore working for a pimp" line he delivered to Foley.

Agreed on Hogan. He came across as a prick in most of his feuds though. The Andre one, the Macho Man one, the Orndorff one, the Sid one. Heck, I even sympathised with Yokozuna. Hogan straight up called him a "Jap" and then came out and challenged him after he'd already had a match.

Archived