The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

Regardless, looking back at the 1994 Austin interview was frustrating as Fin seemed to be asking questions out of kayfabe, but Austin was answering completely inside of kayfabe. I found it very cringe worthy.

The questions were added after the fact, because it was originally an article. So the questions he is asking are for the benefit of the reader in 2016. That's not what he was asking in the original magazine.

Ah. Got it. Must have misunderstood that when I read it.

• Paid Members

Reading Fin's second book right now and am enjoying it.

Regardless, looking back at the 1994 Austin interview was frustrating as Fin seemed to be asking questions out of kayfabe, but Austin was answering completely inside of kayfabe. I found it very cringe worthy.

Austin was rather profound when he said, in gimmick or not, that he was the 'future of pro-wrestling'.

How right he was!

Because it had Hogan & Savage on the cover and therefore my aunt thought it was the WWF Annual she got me every year, I ended up with the WCW Annual at Christmas 1995 (not that I really minded).

The tagline on the Stunning Steve Austin page was "Tipped to be the biggest star!"

They weren't wrong, but perhaps not quite how they imagined it.

Edited by Statto

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Yeah, he pretty much goes "ah well, I'm gone then. Fuck off" at the end of the book. No reason why. Like when the magazine finished, he writes a few lines and leaves more questions than answers. Really liked all 3 Power Slam books, so its a shame he's jacking it in. I much prefered him writing about old stuff he liked than new stuff he didnt. I can only assume the 3 PS books died on their arse and its to much work for what he's getting out of it.

8 hours ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Yeah, he pretty much goes "ah well, I'm gone then. Fuck off" at the end of the book. No reason why. Like when the magazine finished, he writes a few lines and leaves more questions than answers. Really liked all 3 Power Slam books, so its a shame he's jacking it in. I much prefered him writing about old stuff he liked than new stuff he didnt. I can only assume the 3 PS books died on their arse and its to much work for what he's getting out of it.

I've spoken to him and its mainly a financial decision as you say. Would have loved to write more books but couldn't justify it financially.

He is also closing the PS webiste. Seems to be moving on completely.

• Paid Members

Its a real shame because I think he is the best wrestling writer of all time.  The quality of the Powerslam Years ebook was outstanding.  Always felt it was priced way too low to make a profit out of it, especially given the insane amount of time it must have taken to research and write.  Really going to miss his work.

Do we know if he is going to carry on podcasting?

2 hours ago, bbabba said:

Its a real shame because I think he is the best wrestling writer of all time.The quality of the Powerslam Years ebook was outstanding.  Always felt it was priced way too low to make a profit out of it, especially given the insane amount of time it must have taken to research and write.  Really going to miss his work.

Do we know if he is going to carry on podcasting?

Are you on drugs?

The guy has zero objectivity on people he dislikes i.e cena and never gave him credit

For all Fin kept me informed through the years, his inability to be fair on the guys he personally didn't like made the mag a chore in its final years 

5 hours ago, Jimmy Boy said:

Are you on drugs?

The guy has zero objectivity on people he dislikes i.e cena and never gave him credit

Power Slam, by the end at least, was essentially one giant blog as he wrote almost everything himself. And if you don't like someone and genuinely think they're terrible (Cena) then there's no point lying about it to appease people. I thought he was wrong with the Cena stuff and his over the top praise of Christian,  but I'd rather he stay honest with his opinion than flip flop all the time. 

The last one was in June '14, as I believe it ran for exactly 20 years and the first issue was June '94 with Owen Hart winning KOTR on the cover.

It was a great magazine in it's time but in retrospect a lot of the news was just cribbed from the Observer.

I enjoyed reading about stuff I couldn't see like WCW, ECW and Japan more than I did the WWF coverage.

The negative coverage of WWE in the last few years must have turned a few readers off. At some point you have to countenance your own personal opinion with what people buy the magazine to read, and find a middle ground. Fin seemed unable to do that.

He lacked any objectivity at all when it came to Cena. For instance, I hate Mrs Brown's Boys and think it's as funny as having an enema with a tube wrapped in rusty barbed wire but the very fact lots of people find it funny makes it funny by default. The fact shit tons of people love Cena, buy his merch and the fact he is wrestlings only mega star should point to the fact that Cena is a lot better than he gives him credit for in the market he's in and has something that Fin doesn't get but should appreciate he has it nonetheless.

What was his general attitude towards the Hulkster?

Edited by Mr_Danger

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Yakashi said:

Power Slam, by the end at least, was essentially one giant blog as he wrote almost everything himself. And if you don't like someone and genuinely think they're terrible (Cena) then there's no point lying about it to appease people. I thought he was wrong with the Cena stuff and his over the top praise of Christian,  but I'd rather he stay honest with his opinion than flip flop all the time. 

His job wasn't to appease people, it was to sell a magazine. A magazine about wrestling that is incapable of recognizing why someone is successful, popular and having great matches IN SPITE of your personal opinion that he's terrible isn't worth shit.