The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Old Karl Pilkinton in a wig himself is back in podcast form. He and Alex Shane are doing a weekly podcast discussing all the worlds news it seems. What's cool about this is, its a spoken word version of Power Slam. You got your news and opinion, your Q and A's and your PPV reviews all within the thing. Pretty decent listen if you've got nothing else on.

Reading the book was a bit like reading the magazine itself for me. Found everything from the early 90s - 2005 really engaging, then gradually lost patience with his groaning indifference to WWE and impenetrable hatred of John Cena. Surely a wrestling fan just cannot be so ignorant to SOME of Cena's abilities, regardless of some of the old criticisms? Fin also carried his sly pissynesss with Bret Hart over from the magazine too which was sometimes quite overbearing.

All that said, I enjoyed it overall and found his PS tales quite interesting, but I've absolutely no motivation to hear what he thinks about wrestling ever again. As a journalist or commentator on it, he feels light years behind those I'd choose to read or listen to on podcasts now.

• 5 months later...

An e-book of interviews from Power Slam? That sounds like an interesting read for people who didn't read the magazine back then and a trip down memory lane for those that did.

• 1 month later...

Reading Fin's second book right now and am enjoying it.

Regardless, looking back at the 1994 Austin interview was frustrating as Fin seemed to be asking questions out of kayfabe, but Austin was answering completely inside of kayfabe. I found it very cringe worthy.

However I have really enjoyed looking back on the others from Foely, Bam Bam and Douglas.

Bam Bam's in particular was pretty interesting and eye opening (although not exactly in a positive way)

Regardless, looking back at the 1994 Austin interview was frustrating as Fin seemed to be asking questions out of kayfabe, but Austin was answering completely inside of kayfabe. I found it very cringe worthy.

Austin was rather profound when he said, in gimmick or not, that he was the 'future of pro-wrestling'.

How right he was!

Austin was rather profound when he said, in gimmick or not, that he was the 'future of pro-wrestling'.

How right he was!

Yeah, it's quite funny looking back and seeing quotes like this.

• Paid Members

The questions were added after the fact, because it was originally an article. So the questions he is asking are for the benefit of the reader in 2016. That's not what he was asking in the original magazine.

Liked the book. Power Slam had some absolute belting interviews over the years. I really liked the new intros to the interviews.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay