The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

• Paid Members

I think the people he's talking about were watching NWA stuff on Screensport on very earl cable TV.

Don't remember too much NWA stuff on cable tV in the 80's, Screensport showed AWA, WCCW and All Star UK shows regularly, SKY channel showed WWF

BSB showed WCW. I've got the show in which Owen Hart appears.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

About 40% through the ebook so far and I have to say it's superb. The level of detail in the writing is in depth without the main thread of the book dragging.

I've always enjoyed Fins writing style. Whilst the knocks on him for his cynicism are understandable, he comes across as someone who is extremely passionate about the wrestling business.

I can't wait to continue reading this later on!

• Paid Members

I think the people he's talking about were watching NWA stuff on Screensport on very earl cable TV.

Don't remember too much NWA stuff on cable tV in the 80's, Screensport showed AWA, WCCW and All Star UK shows regularly, SKY channel showed WWF 

Right back in the early days, like mid-80s, ScreenSport used to show NWA stuff as part of the "Satellite Wrestling" series, which was mainly matches with the All Star crew and ring. Not sure how much they showed, but one of the listings for tapes of the series includes a Magnum TA-Wahoo MacDaniel match. I've also seen one person who remembered it being NWA on Monday night and AWA on Wednesday. This is all in the pre-minidish days when you either had to have local cable or a dish too big for a wall.

I've just finished the ebook and its a truly excellent read.

As someone who is just starting a career in publishing I really appreciated his detail about the various ups and downs of the industry and the candidness with which he admitted his own shortcomings and the detail behind tough decisions he had to take.

I started watching the WWF as a wide-eyed 9 year old in 2000 and found PS an invaluable source of 'inside' information in the (for me at least) pre-internet days, so I owe Fin for helping develop my passion for wrestling which endures to this day. I obviously had no clue before reading the book that PS was in so much trouble back in '97, but I'm damn pleased he persevered with his brainchild until it clearly wasn't viable for much longer.

If he's ever around London I'd like to buy him a half.

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

• Paid Members

Besides Alex Shane droning on and on before asking a question, I enjoyed it. I had to contain laughter when Alex pretty much saying Power Slam closing ruined his childhood.

Powerslam closed last year - when Alex was 34. What are you on about?

• Paid Members

Alex Shane and Fin Martin did a podcast, and Alex said that Power Slam closing was like finding out a childhood hero wasnt on the up and up. It wasnt anything more than a joke to start the interview. Nothing else.

Yeah, I heard that - so he didn't say "Power Slam closing ruined his childhood". Was wondering, as it made no sense.

Right back in the early days, like mid-80s, ScreenSport used to show NWA stuff as part of the "Satellite Wrestling" series, which was mainly matches with the All Star crew and ring. Not sure how much they showed, but one of the listings for tapes of the series includes a Magnum TA-Wahoo MacDaniel match. I've also seen one person who remembered it being NWA on Monday night and AWA on Wednesday. This is all in the pre-minidish days when you either had to have local cable or a dish too big for a wall.

The Screensport show had mainly All Star stuff from Hanley and the area, I remember them having a Sheepherders match on once from South West wrestling, I also remember Stampede being on too 

Rediffusion cable was a secret treasure for wrestling fans in the 80's, the only place where you could see American and All-star promotions on TV and there was no advertising about it or anything. I got told about it by a mate and signed up in a Granada TV shop in 1985 and had the little box on the wall with the switch to change channels. It was great up till February 1989 when the SKY as we know today came into being and it died a death, All Star had already stopped as they were now showing on ITV and I switched to the dish to carry on watching WWF.

Edited by tony1234

• Paid Members

Just put up a review of the book: http://www.prowrestlingbooks.com/pro-wrestling-through-the-power-slam-years-1994-2014-by-findlay-martin/

Short version is that if you've been following wrestling throughout most or all of the Power Slam years, you won't learn much new wrestling-wise but it's fun to relive some of this stuff. If you hated the style/tone of the magazine, you might not get much from it. If you liked/miss PowerSlam you'll enjoy it a lot and you'll learn a lot if you're a younger/newer fan.

• Paid Members

Just put up a review of the book: http://www.prowrestlingbooks.com/pro-wrestling-through-the-power-slam-years-1994-2014-by-findlay-martin/

Short version is that if you've been following wrestling throughout most or all of the Power Slam years, you won't learn much new wrestling-wise but it's fun to relive some of this stuff. If you hated the style/tone of the magazine, you might not get much from it. If you liked/miss PowerSlam you'll enjoy it a lot and you'll learn a lot if you're a younger/newer fan.

I think that's really fair sans the stuff about PowerSlam itself which is really interesting and stuff I didn't know.

The rest, I'd say there's very little I've read that I've never known but tons that I'd forgotten. It's an ace trip down memory lane and its made me dig out loads on the Network for a rewatch.

• 3 months later...