The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

Good point Jim, I cant recall the guy having a bad match. I think his biggest flaw is he is repetitive in his comeback and doesnt change it up or allow anything to stop the comeback but Bret Hart was accused of the same thing about his comeback. I am not comparing the two in any other way but for me the repetition is the biggest issue. I dont remember him having too many stinkers though

Wrestling at its best is, at its core, is the constantly the same. Nothing in any business is original and Cena is the modern day Hulk Hogan, a truly good crowd worker. What Ive always enjoyed is how often the boo's for Cena stop during the matches. Crowds always buy into Cena during his matches the same way they did with Hogan. There will always be exceptions, tonight in Rock's home town will be one and MITB will always be remembered as another but these really are exceptions.

• Paid Members

It depends when with Cena, he's had a few duffers but that was back when he was finding himself in the ring or against fucking scrubs like Orlando Jordan. Still Cena is a superb worker, he miracle with Khali is evidence of the point.

• Paid Members

Spot on Chilli, I've been saying that about the Khali match for years (I'll resist the obvious joke there). Cena's in-ring work in big matches has ben absolutely stellar for years. Look at Money in the Bank last year, for just one example. I like Punk, always have, but has anyone had such a great, dramatic match with him since then? Or before, even? You could say, considering the audiences they were aimed at and the respective aims of the matches in question, that the trilogy with Samoa Joe in ROH is up there, but maybe not even that and certainly not much else. And it certainly wasn't anything approaching a carry job from Punk. That was a blinding match and it was 50-50 effort, with each guy helping the other be fantastic.

Cena's great and has been for ages. The only bugbear anyone could possibly have is the repetitive comeback, in which case I'd like to take this opportunity to say SHAWN FUCKING MICHAELS.

Edited by opcws

As poor as powerslam has been in recent years I'll give them some credit. The interview with McGuinness this month was a good read. It's a shame he's still keeping tight lipped on what it was that got him released though. He gives the impression it was more than just injuries. It just makes it one of those things its none of your business but you know theres something there and want to know what.

He may not have had 100% stinkers but his overall performance is far from great. Like someone else said, he does his moves like a five year old. Even Bret Hart said in an interview that Cena's in ring ability is limited. Obviously wrestlers like Edge can carry someone like Cena but it doesn't really mean Cena is of the same ability as someone like Edge. Hogan was limited too in the 80's but his good guy gimmick was right from the time and he also appeared vunerable at times. Later with Hart, Austin and the Rock you had some really stellar matches and stinkers were a rarity, though mostly with Hart who sometimed had an opponent he could not carry such as Backlund. These faces were also constantly cheered, which is the whole point of being a face. Cena's defence is that people boo him because he appeals to children but really I think a lot of children probably boo him too. Him gimmick is so cringworthy and at times offense and homophobic. It really it such a wonder he became as big as he was. I will admit I stopped watching wrestling around 2004 when I felt it was getting a little stale, plus I did have not have access to SKY. When I started watching it again I was amazed Cena was the top face because I remember him being crap. I watched his DVD's and mataches and my opinion hasn't changed. Fin knows wrestling inside out and he has to be honest with his criticism. It is the same with people who cannot understand why the last few series of a comedy show like Red Dwarf were being criticsed. It was because they are not all that good. Someone has to stand up for quality and it will do the WWE no favours for praise to be lavished on Cena constantly. Just because T shirts sell does not mean the product is quality. As for who I would have as the top face. Not my problem. I am not a booker or writer. But the WWE should have a policy of Cena being replaced as top face at the earliest opporunity. They kept trying to replace Hart when he was top face and he was actually a stellar wrestler. I can only assume the WWE are just too lazy to do anything now.

• Paid Members
He may not have had 100% stinkers but his overall performance is far from great. Like someone else said, he does his moves like a five year old. Even Bret Hart said in an interview that Cena's in ring ability is limited. Obviously wrestlers like Edge can carry someone like Cena but it doesn't really mean Cena is of the same ability as someone like Edge. Hogan was limited too in the 80's but his good guy gimmick was right from the time and he also appeared vunerable at times. Later with Hart, Austin and the Rock you had some really stellar matches and stinkers were a rarity,though mostly with Hart who sometimed had an opponent he could not carry such as Backlund. These faces were also constantly cheered, which is the whole point of being a face. Cena's defence is that people boo him because he appeals to children but really I think a lot of children probably boo him too. Him gimmick is so cringworthy and at times offense and homophobic. It really it such a wonder he became as big as he was. I will admit I stopped watching wrestling around 2004 when I felt it was getting a little stale, plus I did have not have access to SKY. When I started watching it again I was amazed Cena was the top face because I remember him being crap. I watched his DVD's and mataches and my opinion hasn't changed. Fin knows wrestling inside out and he has to be honest with his criticism. It is the same with people who cannot understand why the last few series of a comedy show like Red Dwarf were being criticsed. It was because they are not all that good. Someone has to stand up for quality and it will do the WWE no favours for praise to be lavished on Cena constantly. Just because T shirts sell does not mean the product is quality. As for who I would have as the top face. Not my problem. I am not a booker or writer. But the WWE should have a policy of Cena being replaced as top face at the earliest opporunity. They kept trying to replace Hart when he was top face and he was actually a stellar wrestler. I can only assume the WWE are just too lazy to do anything now.

1) That's absolute bollocks and physically impossible.

2) Mania 11 sucked yes but the Survivor Series '94 match was a gem and Backlund was a talent himself to not be needed carrying.

3) He better criticize Edge & Christian's new barnets then.

4) A Fatwa?

5) They wanted to see who could draw more than Hart, Hart wasn't too good of a draw but his replacements turned out not to be either. Nothing to do with him being a cracking hand in the ring or anything.

6) The last line. If so they deserve to go out of business. But what you said isn't true either.

Edited by Chilli_Dog

This month is actually a really good month for them. Its got four interviews in it. Its enough material to ignore Fin Martin altogether. Nigel McGuinness is especially really good.

I enjoyed this month's edition. Though in the Finlay interview, I found the question "What did you think of Martin Kirby and Martin Stone?" a bit strange. Considering he only wrestled three guys over here, it seemed weird that the third (JD Knight) was omitted.

• Paid Members
Here's a harder one, name a bad Cena match. Saying anyone can have a good match with the likes of Edge, Triple H and CM Punk is bollocks too, there is no realistic way he would be able to have good matches week in and week out purely on the strength of his opponants.

That wasn

To be fair, I grew up on Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart, I like there style of wrestling and the way sell, which is what I don't like about Cena's style. He can sell, but his comebacks are terrible for the storyline ass kicking he gets. At least Hulk Hogan Hulked up, Cena doesn't he just jumps from dying to arse kicking in a split second.

If Cena incorporated his own Hulking up method I don't think I'd bat an eyelid, but he just seems to stand up and run, which is annoying to me.

The latest issue was better than it's been for a while - the interviews with Nigel McGuinness and Dave Finlay were both good reads. But I see they're stretching out the Q&A section over two pages now. No issue at all this month. Next one is May 3rd.

I never knew WWE were going to produce a "Screwed: The Bret Hart Story" hatchet job DVD if Bret refused to co-operate with the DVD they eventually released "The Best There Is....."

I never knew WWE were going to produce a "Screwed: The Bret Hart Story" hatchet job DVD if Bret refused to co-operate with the DVD they eventually released "The Best There Is....."

If I remember correctly there was even a story making the rounds that The Self Destruct of the Ultimate Warrior DVD was actually a warning to Bret of what would happen if he didn't play ball.

• 2 weeks later...