The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

Powerslam is correct to criticise Cena. He is the worst top babyface in pro wrestling history. His wrestling skills are even more limited than Hogan on a bad day, his gimmick is childish and tacky and his personality is one dimensonial. He only became top face because Austin quit due to injuries, the Rock went to hollywood and the one guy they were banking on (Brock Lensar) got fed up of the business. The sooner the already too long "Cena era" is over the better.

• Paid Members
What's the consensus, then? Is humanracer Fin in disguise, a gimmick-troll or just the latest common-or-garden mong?

Indie & Co / kralcdxela, I reckon.

If not, definitely the latter two.

• Paid Members
Powerslam is correct to criticise Cena. He is the worst top babyface in pro wrestling history. His wrestling skills are even more limited than Hogan on a bad day, his gimmick is childish and tacky and his personality is one dimensonial. He only became top face because Austin quit due to injuries, the Rock went to hollywood and the one guy they were banking on (Brock Lensar) got fed up of the business. The sooner the already too long "Cena era" is over the better.

Agree with most of this, it's cliche to say but I've not enjoyed Cena since 2004. His entire character makes me cringe. Crazy to think he's been on top for 7 years now. But they've built him up for so long and now we're stuck with him for the time being, and he's the best of a bad bunch as there's nobody to really replace him as the ultra-top dog right now. I've actually got a couple of mates who gave up watching WWE a few years back largely because they couldn't stand seeing John Cena in such a prominent position on a weekly basis, and are tuning in to Mania just to see him get his arse kicked (which shows that the Rock-Cena feud is drawing outside interest I guess). I can certainly accept that outside the ring Cena's a lovely guy though and it's really commendable to see him doing the Make A Wish stuff to the extent he does.

His wrestling skills are even more limited than Hogan on a bad day

He has had some of the best matches in the last few years against the likes of Edge, Punk, Michaels, Triple H, Umaga and probably a fair few more

his gimmick is childish and tacky and his personality is one dimensonial

thats not Cena's problem, that could be applied to most in wrestling at the moment

He only became top face because Austin quit due to injuries, the Rock went to hollywood and the one guy they were banking on (Brock Lensar) got fed up of the business

thats a pointless comment as it would apply to whoever became top face, you could say Triple H only became top heel at the turn of the century because there was nobody else about, it didnt make him any less effective

There are loads of divs who bang on about the Cena era being shit because of Cena, if that was the case there would be loads of people in the midcard tearing up shows and being held down but there isnt, Cena is regarded by those who make the big decisions are the best of his bunch. The fact is no full time wrestler can match his reactions or his popularity and I say all this as someone who isnt a Cena fan, I just think I understand the business better than a lot of people who mindlessly criticise Cena. Sure he should be criticised at times, I have done it as much as most going back to when he was feuding with a wheelchair bound Kurt Angle on Smackdown but its those who criticise him with the repetitive crap that they have seen elsewhere that dont understand things.

Let me finish with this - who would you have as the top guy in the company?

fair enough but he has had some of the best matches over the last few years, Punk has had loads of bland matches with others although the other three mentioned are very consistent, hes not a bad wrestler as people have made out above

As much as Cena has won me over lately with his mic skills(aside from the giggling no sell, I actually thought the slap was agood idea would have bought some heat back to the segment). I find it hard to enjoy his wrestling. It's not the storytelling or pschology of the match. It's simply the execution of the moves it looks like a five year old playing wrestler. The vertical suplex looks scrappy and horrible with the little jump but thats his style the shoulderblock is the pits. Having said that I do see some of the way the Rock wrestled in Cena they are both hokey and the moveset. Five knuckle shuffle, peoples elbow, Rock Bottom, AA, sharpshooter, STF

Edited by moofasa

• Paid Members

Agree with most of this, it's cliche to say but I've not enjoyed Cena since 2004. His entire character makes me cringe. Crazy to think he's been on top for 7 years now. But they've built him up for so long and now we're stuck with him for the time being, and he's the best of a bad bunch as there's nobody to really replace him as the ultra-top dog right now. I've actually got a couple of mates who gave up watching WWE a few years back largely because they couldn't stand seeing John Cena in such a prominent position on a weekly basis, and are tuning in to Mania just to see him get his arse kicked (which shows that the Rock-Cena feud is drawing outside interest I guess). I can certainly accept that outside the ring Cena's a lovely guy though and it's really commendable to see him doing the Make A Wish stuff to the extent he does.

I'm not stuck, I like Cena. No problem with him at all. I want a wrestler who looks like a star and carries themselves like one. Cena is a star and if they're buying into him then more power to him. Not his fault.

Here's a harder one, name a bad Cena match. Saying anyone can have a good match with the likes of Edge, Triple H and CM Punk is bollocks too, there is no realistic way he would be able to have good matches week in and week out purely on the strength of his opponants.

Good point Jim, I cant recall the guy having a bad match. I think his biggest flaw is he is repetitive in his comeback and doesnt change it up or allow anything to stop the comeback but Bret Hart was accused of the same thing about his comeback. I am not comparing the two in any other way but for me the repetition is the biggest issue. I dont remember him having too many stinkers though