The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

Wouldn't surprise me if most of his remaining readers were all in the Anti-Cena camp so can't blame him for appealing to his (however diminished) audience.

I wonder if he ever looked into launching a monthly tablet/iPhone only magazine? The expenses must be pretty minimal for that. No idea what the circulation of PS was at the end but you could still pick it up in a lot of newsagents around the country. 1000 subscribers at £2 each month would still be £500 a week for writing a fanzine about how much Roman Reigns sucks. 

13 minutes ago, Undefeated Steak said:

No idea what the circulation of PS was at the end but you could still pick it up in a lot of newsagents around the country. 1000 subscribers at £2 each month would still be £500 a week for writing a fanzine about how much Roman Reigns sucks. 

Fin gives detailed circulation figures by year in the Powerslam Years book; it was around 8,000 by the end give or take (peak was around 20,000 in 2006/7). And it cost him £17,000 for shelf space alone in the last year. 

I agree he probably could get that many subscribers at that price and make more money than he did with the magazine. 

I really recommend the book; a fascinating read - I'm sure even his critics will be impressed with him banging out an entire issue in between 10 appointments for skin cancer treatment over the course of a month!

• 3 weeks later...

On Facebook, while discussing why his Power Slam Interview E-books won't ever be released as printed books:

I cannot understand why some people are opposed to electronic books, anyway. People read text all day on their computer screens, tablets and phones. Why not books as well?

In case you’re wondering, I’m reading a printed book at present, Mr Nice by Howard Marks. 

His next book is about quitting smoking apparently.

18010015_1797013080626930_45706021201128

On 2017-4-7 at 9:33 AM, Mr_Danger said:

He lacked any objectivity at all when it came to Cena. For instance, I hate Mrs Brown's Boys and think it's as funny as having an enema with a tube wrapped in rusty barbed wire but the very fact lots of people find it funny makes it funny by default. The fact shit tons of people love Cena, buy his merch and the fact he is wrestlings only mega star should point to the fact that Cena is a lot better than he gives him credit for in the market he's in and has something that Fin doesn't get but should appreciate he has it nonetheless.

What was his general attitude towards the Hulkster?

He didn't seem to be a fan of the 80's Hulkamania era from what I can remember of the magazine.

His lack of objectivity over Cena is one of the main things that put me off the magazine in the end. It just got silly in with his refusal to rank him in the PS50.

He once ranked Shane McMahon for crying out loud.

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

On Facebook, while discussing why his Power Slam Interview E-books won't ever be released as printed books:

His next book is about quitting smoking apparently.

1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

I cannot understand why some people are opposed to electronic books, anyway. People read text all day on their computer screens, tablets and phones. Why not books as well?

In case you’re wondering, I’m reading a printed book at present, Mr Nice by Howard Marks. 

I watched all of Peep Show for the first time recently and am pleased to report I get this reference.

We're the stories about the time he did a lot of drugs any good?

Admittedly I don't know a whole lot about him. I knew someone at uni who seemed to think he was some sort of prophet, the kind of person who say about Marks "oh, you should read his book. He's amazing", but then when pressed as to why he was amazing you'd be greeted with silence, the same way people describe Scarface as an amazing film but can't ever explain why they think so

From what I do know about him- he did drugs, he smuggled drugs for a while, got caught smuggling drugs and went to prison for a bit, upon release he campaigned for different legislation on drugs probably so that they were declassified do that he wouldn't go back to prison again for trafficking 

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
On ‎07‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 10:57 AM, tiger_rick said:

His job wasn't to appease people, it was to sell a magazine. A magazine about wrestling that is incapable of recognizing why someone is successful, popular and having great matches IN SPITE of your personal opinion that he's terrible isn't worth shit.

Exactly. If you're writing a wrestling magazine, you're setting yourself up to appear as an expert, or at the very least as knowledgeable enough that people would be prepared to spend money to read your opinion. If your expert opinion on wrestling is that the biggest star in wrestling today is awful at wrestling, that looks an awful lot like you don't know what you're talking about. I'm sure it appealed to those who share the irrational hatred of Cena, but if you contrast it to a magazine like FSM, which - last I read it - managed to come across as well-informed without resorting to slagging off the easy targets, Powerslam just came across looking increasingly dated and amateurish.

As for the Howard Marks thing, I did a couple of gigs with him, and he's a fascinating guy to listen to, hell of a storyteller. But I would cringe every time half the audience would cheer because - shock! - he mentioned marijuana. One of those that's seriously let down by the shittier members of his fanbase.

• 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

The WrestleTalk lot have tried revamping Power Slam by the looks of it. Fin Martin's even involved in it (so much for that retirement lasting!) Just look at the type setting and the layout. Its an actual physical print mag as well, according to their twitter. Dont know if it'll be in shops, though.

DMVN9myXcAAcUOk.jpg

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

That looks like they sent it to print, but forgot to convert it to an image properly, so when the printer didn't have the same font file as them, it defaulted to the most generic font possible.

It looks shit, is what I'm saying.

Edited by BomberPat

I have read it. Inside they discuss...

Was Montreal a work? (Just noticed the Survivor Series '97 Subtitle :bored: )

Will the end of PG be the beginning of a new boom?

Dave Bradshaw gets merked by Raven in an interview

Theres no British Wrestlng without the FWA.

Edited by Edgehead