The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

I bought Power Slam religiously for 10+ years, but this year I found it was just leaving me completely depressed as a wrestling fan so I stopped. And I've enjoyed watching wrestling more since I stopped being told that everything about it is terrible on a monthly basis.

Absolutley, it was like printed propaganda trying to convince everyone the product was bad, even if you liked it.

Fin Martin is a tool

if i remember correctly, i think this was a few issues back, he brought up something that happened a year ago on a WWE UK house show. memory is a bit cloudy but while he said it wasn't really important, he used it to bury WWE anyway.

this months issue, his rant about the statement on WWE Corporate website about the company asking fans not to submit storylines etc etc... i noticed how he buried WWE with that then put himself over by saying readers could submit their ideas to him.

add in that he approves Randazzo's utter shite, i have come to the conclusion Fin Martin is a cunthawk.

yes WWE has it's issues, but Martin looks to go out of his way to find something to have a WWE related moan about

I've been buying PowerSlam for the past 7-8 years and will continue to do so as it's still a good read in my opinion but i do agree with others saying that Fin Martin is a bitter old bastard because lets face it, he is. The magazine still dishes out some cracking articles and interviews though.

in this months issue, his rant about the statement on WWE Corporate website about the company asking fans not to submit storylines etc etc... i noticed how he buried WWE with that then put himself over by saying readers could submit their ideas to him.

I thought that was a wierd comment myself

Surely the reason WWE dosen't ask fans to submit storylines is a bunch of nutters/timewasters will start claiming that all the companys ideas were based on things they submitted if whether it's true or not.

Edited by vealster

I've bought PowerSlam monthly for over 14 years now, so it's habit.

My main issue with the magazine are the reporting on UK indy shows drawing the likes of 200 fans to Morecambe - it's lazy, as I'd imagine the only reason for it is one of the writers is involved in the promotions.

• Paid Members
in this months issue, his rant about the statement on WWE Corporate website about the company asking fans not to submit storylines etc etc... i noticed how he buried WWE with that then put himself over by saying readers could submit their ideas to him.

Surely the reason WWE dosen't ask fans to submit storylines is a bunch of nutters/timewasters will start claiming that all the companys ideas were based on things they submitted if whether it's true or not.

I think that is the reason, to avoid any potential grief over copyright of ideas. I don't disagree with Fin, I think there would be some great ideas posted by fans if they were open to it. However, they'd need to employee a team of people just to filter though the massive amounts of tosh they'd get.

Personally I think it would be intresting if fans could submit their own storylines etc. But, lets be honest if the WWE started using fan's storylines how could they justfy paying a load of script writers?

• Paid Members

I'm not for them getting storylines from fans, but I think it would be healthy if they actively seeked feedback from the fans to improve their product. Back when WCW was kicking their arses and Vince was skint, Vinnie Mac would use everything to get better and appeared to be open to ideas (he hired his magazine editor as a storyline writer, followed Paul Heyman closely and read Wrestling Observer).

They know they are not doing that great but it appears they have no idea what their fans are after at times.

Findlay Martin has always been amazingly smug. Back in the day, he seemed to have himself painted as the king of the UK hardcores and had a very overblown opinion of himself. Thats no bad thing if you keep it to yourself, but it used to come out so clearly in his work. Havent picked up his rag is maybe 13 years. Although I was in a pic in the mag from the Michinoku Croydon show however many millions of years back that was....so not all bad ;-)

Edited by Karl

fin martin is prepared to ask the really tough questions in his interviews; that should be commended here

His questions tend to be longer than the answers given. I remember a Jerry Lynn interview where Martin harped on with an anti-TNA rant, prompting Lynn to ask 'was that a question?'

• Paid Members
fin martin is prepared to ask the really tough questions in his interviews; that should be commended here

Why should he be commended. He only asks difficult questions when it suits his agenda.

Case in point the Jericho interview when he asked if Jericho thought fighting with the fans was right and would he do it again. As soon as he got an answer he didnt want to hear the interview ended with a really arse-y comment from Martin that I seriously doubt he actually said to Jericho.

I can't remember the exact wording - but i'm sure someone has the magazine kicking about.

As someone else has pointed out, his questions in the magazine are often longer than the answers. Now I don't actually believe they are all printed the way they are asked of the interviewee but what he's doing is trying to explain the background to a situation.

However, it would make more sense to say 'tell us about X situation' instead of trying to look like he knows everything.