The lets all point and laugh at Fin Martin thread

• Paid Members

Being critical isn't necessarily a bad thing, as long as you're interesting with it. Fin Martin isn't, or at least not any more. I occasionally read old issues on the bog, and it's always articles written by other contributors which are the more interesting. I recently re-read Rob Butchers review of a Fall Brawl (1998 I think) while pinching off a loaf that was hilarious, and it was stuffed to the gills with negativity.

That said, I haven't read a new PS in a long time, so it's difficult to comment on the current product.

• Paid Members

ive said it before but i love fin martin's bitter tone in the magazine, he is very funny when slagging people off

as far as i know the fin martin enemy list currently stands at:

ric flair

mick foley

bret hart

chris jericho

vince russo

john cena

i guess people like vince, hhh, nash and others are on the periphery waiting to join it

• Moderators

Fin Martin has fallen into Alverez territory for me now.

Basically, if you don't like something, you don't like it. There's no need to bang on and on about something being shite and hating it, when half the time it isn't that bad. Martin's vendetta against Jericho for instance is an example.

Powerslam has now left my upstairs bog magazine list, I can't be doing with Fin Martin anymore.

The thing that annoys me about Powerslam at the moment is the 4 (or sometimes 6) page PPV reports which, by the time the magazine comes out, feel like they're at least two months old. Although that's probably more to do with how many PPVs there are these days, but still. It's 4-6 pages that they could use for an interview or two, or a nice article or something. Anything as long as it isn't that awful McMahon Quarterly Report which seems to always be 100% made up.

Oh, and the constant referrals to a "John Cena Cartoon Comeback" (always capitalised) or his "NPSTF (No Pressure STF)" (actual quote - I'm not just adding in what the letters stand for - it's always written that way) really wind me up. We get that Fin Martin isn't a fan. Neither are a lot of people, but it really makes him come across like a complete dick.

Fin Martin is such a bitter fucker, its unreal. Ric Flair, Mick Foley, Chris Jericho, Hulk Hogan, Vince Russo all pop up into articles with no reason. He seems to actively seak them out in random artcles, just to slag off the people who he hates. He's went past giving credit where its due as well. His SummerSlam review where he failed to mention Bret's performance in it and the loud response but instead mentioned how he "didnt pace himself and blew up". Well of course he didnt. He was only scheduled to be in their for a quick pop and be eliminated. Power Slam used to be funny as fuck and very interesting read. Now its just the home for Fin Martin putting his midlife crisis on paper. He's all about "pushing the young guys" and all that bollocks, but rarely gives reasons why such-and-such should be pushed. The magazine is filled with bitterness and pointlessness. Why would I have any interest in a twitter page in a magazine?

Reading the older issues, he hated it in the attitude era as well. He was always moaning about lack of workrate and saying the WWF did shit PPVs in 1999. But he just didn't seem as bitter about it back then. He was probably making loads more from the magazine at the time.

That's when he referred to the WWF's flagship show as Raw Is Talk

I haven't bought Powerslam since the one with Heyman and Lesnar on the front so I haven't read too much of the Jericho hatred, what's Fin Martin saying exactly? On topic I have always bought the magazines in short sperts, most of us could probably take it or leave it so the negativity isn't really doing himself too many favours.

• Paid Members

I don't mind him slagging people off, especially the ones who deserve it. I'm not even a fan of Chris Jericho. What really baffled me about the Jericho article was that he's now re-writing his own opinion. Way back when, Chris Jericho was going to be the next big thing according to PowerSlam. Now acknowledging that it never happened for him is fine but that recent article criticised a lot of his work at a time when PowerSlam wouldn't shut up about how great he was.

• Paid Members
Gave up on PS years ago. Most due to that SWM idiot.

Ironically, he now goes under his real name and writes serious articles. He's the best thing about the magazine now. I have no idea why they kept doing the heel writer gimmick. That should have died out in 1998. SWM's really good when he's being serious. He does a positives and negatives type thing, and he takes some getting used to reading SWM being positive. He's good though.