British Wrestling on TV

bringbackwrestling

People will obviously say that a new promoter can't afford to pay a marketing company to come up with a "brand" for his promotion or can't afford market research or a slick website but also they can't afford to start promoting shows under a stupid name using advertising no one sees and in an area where no one gives too hoots about wrestling.

Indeed. If you're going to do something, do it right.

Why thank you :)

IMHO the new tech on the horizon (Google TV especially) and some of the tech already here (Apple TV) is going to make the Internet even more important to any promotion or worker who wants to seriously raise their profile and increase awareness.

Increasingly more people will be able to stream video content from sites such as YouTube direct to their TVs with the same amount of hassle as it does to find a channel on SKY- The "experts" are predicting that niche market products will see their views go through the roof and that will attract advertising in many respects removing the need for promoters to risk going under by trying to get their product "on TV"

My guess is the first tech savy promotion out there which gets in on the act could overnight position itself as the #1 UK promotion with a sizeable viewing audience.

And there's the FAIL in this whole project. You do know that massive chunk of the country still has ZERO internet access? And a lot of those people are exactly the people who are likely to watch a wrasslin' show? And that even if you could technically reach all the people you want to, how many of them are going to know enough to seek you out and watch you online? NONE. That's the answer. NONE. OK, a handful might, but in real TV audience terms that's a big fat zero. Do you know how much UFC spent on advertising their first (OK, second if you include the Albert Hall show) show over here? SIX MILLION DOLLARS. I'm not sure that their UK business is running a profit yet and their audience, even on a relatively prominent channel and with a pretty impressive amount of "buzz" for a niche product, is still pretty tiny.

DO NOT INVEST MONEY IN A TV PRODUCT THINKING YOU CAN MAKE IT WORK IN THIS WAY. IT CANNOT. YOU WILL FAIL AND PISS AWAY LOTS OF MONEY WHILE CREATING ANOTHER BIT OF EVIDENCE FOR THE "BRITISH WRESTLING CANNOT BE SUCCESSFUL AS A TV PRODUCT" FILES. PLEASE STOP NOW BEFORE YOU GO BANKRUPT.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I don't see the problem with Internet TV. If done right it can be quite valuable, as you're not struggling with regional and national limits then, your content is available to every one. The Internet started in the same way, just with text as opposed to video.

The advertising isn't there, either to get people watching or to pay for the production. The "long tail" is a nice idea and works for certain types of product, but in wrestling you need to either make money from TV or from live shows. The money isn't there for the former to work and the audience won't be there to make the latter profitable.

The simple fact is that in the "people who will go looking for wrestling on the internet" demographic, you're only really looking at about half the active members of this forum to cover more or less all of Britain. Do you really think there's a business in broadcasting a

Been working this week so not been online as much as normal but its all good, as least things are moving. We are awaiting feedback from our first two choice channels bith of which carry major advantages. Still hoping that we will know by the end of the month but time is ticking away.

I've spent most of the week looking at Studios, its amazing how hard it is to get somewhere suitable without paying London prices. Going to look at warehouses and sporting venues next.

Our design team have drawn up several drafts for the look of the studio and they are impressive although one looks far too much like the impact zone set.

I've a further meeting with them this week. I hope to have a studio organised by then so i can give them dimensions and they can cost up.

Some one mentioned about marketing in a pm/email, I'll pass your request on and let you know.

I've been following this for a bit and it's quite interesting- I'm a 15 year plus veteran of shooting/cutting all things moving image related and i've been saying similar things for years about the stumbling block to getting wrestling on TV is the wad of cash needed to shoot a pilot.

I didn't catch how many episodes you were planning but

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This has been the first chance I've had to get online in any meaningful way for a few weeks so its time to give a few updates.

Firstly we've had feedback from the pitches we've made to the top television channels in the country. Sadly BBC and their respected channels have no interest in professional wrestling and the same for ITV 1,2,3 and 4. ITV gave us some really good feedback and provided us with the reason why they wont be going ahead. Its a shame as I thought we were a good fit for ITV 4 but i can understand their reasoning. The positive is that this door isn't 100% closed and we will keep talking over the next few months to keep dialogue alive.

Since the last update we had really great talks with a european wide TV station who showed great interest in the project, they were happy with every aspect and we really thought that this was a banker until the very top boss pulled the plug because 'he doesn't like wrestling'. This was a major blow for us but that's how TV works all the marketing plans and presentations mean nothing against one mans opinnion.

So its fair to say its been a disappointing time so far, the projects not dead as we are still awaiting feed back from 4 and 5. Based on past history of these channels with wrestling I am less than hopeful. We have some other options that we are working on as well however with each option there is a smaller and smaller audience attached to the channel. Smaller audiences mean less sponsorship money so our budget is in constant flux.

Away from the TV side of things we've made some great strides and hope to start making some announcements soon regarding events for 2011 including what i think is a UK first and a really exciting opportunity.

In other news a deal i thought was dead has been ressurected and a opportunity for some talent exchange has arisen.

Khemical to answer your question we are looking in the Yorkshire area to shoot the show and run our shows from.

• Paid Members
This has been the first chance I've had to get online in any meaningful way for a few weeks so its time to give a few updates.

Firstly we've had feedback from the pitches we've made to the top television channels in the country. Sadly BBC and their respected channels have no interest in professional wrestling and the same for ITV 1,2,3 and 4. ITV gave us some really good feedback and provided us with the reason why they wont be going ahead. Its a shame as I thought we were a good fit for ITV 4 but i can understand their reasoning. The positive is that this door isn't 100% closed and we will keep talking over the next few months to keep dialogue alive.

Since the last update we had really great talks with a european wide TV station who showed great interest in the project, they were happy with every aspect and we really thought that this was a banker until the very top boss pulled the plug because 'he doesn't like wrestling'. This was a major blow for us but that's how TV works all the marketing plans and presentations mean nothing against one mans opinnion.

So its fair to say its been a disappointing time so far, the projects not dead as we are still awaiting feed back from 4 and 5. Based on past history of these channels with wrestling I am less than hopeful. We have some other options that we are working on as well however with each option there is a smaller and smaller audience attached to the channel. Smaller audiences mean less sponsorship money so our budget is in constant flux.

Away from the TV side of things we've made some great strides and hope to start making some announcements soon regarding events for 2011 including what i think is a UK first and a really exciting opportunity.

In other news a deal i thought was dead has been ressurected and a opportunity for some talent exchange has arisen.

Khemical to answer your question we are looking in the Yorkshire area to shoot the show and run our shows from.

All sounds very interesting, if you need any help at all (in any department) please do drop me an pm!

• 2 weeks later...
And there's the FAIL in this whole project. You do know that massive chunk of the country still has ZERO internet access? And a lot of those people are exactly the people who are likely to watch a wrasslin' show? And that even if you could technically reach all the people you want to, how many of them are going to know enough to seek you out and watch you online? NONE. That's the answer. NONE. OK, a handful might, but in real TV audience terms that's a big fat zero. Do you know how much UFC spent on advertising their first (OK, second if you include the Albert Hall show) show over here? SIX MILLION DOLLARS. I'm not sure that their UK business is running a profit yet and their audience, even on a relatively prominent channel and with a pretty impressive amount of "buzz" for a niche product, is still pretty tiny.

DO NOT INVEST MONEY IN A TV PRODUCT THINKING YOU CAN MAKE IT WORK IN THIS WAY. IT CANNOT. YOU WILL FAIL AND PISS AWAY LOTS OF MONEY WHILE CREATING ANOTHER BIT OF EVIDENCE FOR THE "BRITISH WRESTLING CANNOT BE SUCCESSFUL AS A TV PRODUCT" FILES. PLEASE STOP NOW BEFORE YOU GO BANKRUPT.

Actually as of June 2010 the UK has an absolutely massive 82.5% penetration in net users-that's over 52 MILLION people using the web!!!

That's not to mention the huge number of English speaking Internet users who would have more than a passing interest in a free wrestling on TV if the balance of production values and quality of wrestling was right.

I imagine that 6 Million dollars was less than the catering budget for their after show party. UFC does BIG money and looking at the potential size of the UK market that marketing spend was an investment -an investment heavily subsidised by the UFC's many many sponsers and also by which ever US network was carrying the PPV...oh and what kind of DVD sales has that event done in the UK to date???

As for how people are going to find the product- Well isn't that what marketing is for???

Just recently TNA paid a minor celebrity

We've had a meeting this week with TV and Internet Exes and have been trying to fastforward the industry over the next year, 3 years and 5 years. Its a hard task with tehnology moving so quickly but in essense we looked at some of the plans for youview, Sony, Ninetendo and Goolge. Various elements are coming together that will allow one company with the right set to exploit a massive market. Without going into too much detail but I believe that youtube will be the driving force of indie wrestling within the next 3 years.

I believe that you will see traditional broadcasting challenged in a major way at the end of a 5 year period. My job is too look at this and try and be a market leader in this area and work out how to incorperate this into a viable business proposition.

• 2 months later...
Just a quick update. Sorry that this is an announcement of an announcement.

We will have an announcement up before the end of the month regarding the future of the bringback wrestling campaign.

To be honest mate, I have just read this whole thread and you are coming across totally full of crap. Are you a fantasist or something?

This has been going on since September last year! Every one of your posts contains the same generic, non specific information.

If you are actually talking to TV companies about wrestling, why would you want to prejudice any of these negotiations by talking about them on wrestling forums? (you would never mention figures for a start which you have done many times) Furthermore, nothing that you have written solidifies your credentials in any way of being part of a proffessional organisation looking at developing a new British Wrestling Company (show me professional web-sites, phone numbers, office addresses, past achievements in TV - you haven't so far)

Wrestling is full of these type of characters. Not sure if anyone else remembers but there was going to be a show in I think 2001 at the Coventry Skydome. I spoke to the guy organising it because I was at Uni at the time and wanted to do some filming there. The guy was a complete dreamer and I soon realised that this was a figment of his imagination. It turned out that he owed everyone money and I think the FWA ended up taking over the show in the end.

So please until you actually get this fictional TV deal, stop posting crap and get into the real world or else you will fail your Media Studies A-Level Course!

Just a quick update. Sorry that this is an announcement of an announcement.

We will have an announcement up before the end of the month regarding the future of the bringback wrestling campaign.

To be honest mate, I have just read this whole thread and you are coming across totally full of crap. Are you a fantasist or something?

This has been going on since September last year! Every one of your posts contains the same generic, non specific information.

If you are actually talking to TV companies about wrestling, why would you want to prejudice any of these negotiations by talking about them on wrestling forums? (you would never mention figures for a start which you have done many times) Furthermore, nothing that you have written solidifies your credentials in any way of being part of a proffessional organisation looking at developing a new British Wrestling Company (show me professional web-sites, phone numbers, office addresses, past achievements in TV - you haven't so far)

Wrestling is full of these type of characters. Not sure if anyone else remembers but there was going to be a show in I think 2001 at the Coventry Skydome. I spoke to the guy organising it because I was at Uni at the time and wanted to do some filming there. The guy was a complete dreamer and I soon realised that this was a figment of his imagination. It turned out that he owed everyone money and I think the FWA ended up taking over the show in the end.

So please until you actually get this fictional TV deal, stop posting crap and get into the real world or else you will fail your Media Studies A-Level Course!

c1154901 thank you for your comments but I won

Archived