British Wrestling on TV

bringbackwrestling

10-20,000 on a mainstream channel? When are you hoping to be on? 3am?

Just saw this. A niche programme was broadcast recently. It was on Channel One (the former Virgin 1) at 7:30pm on a Saturday night (so prime time) and the contract stipulated viewing figures of around 500,000. However, that number was seriously dented due to running against X-Factor, and the actual figures were in the 80,000 mark. Naturally, the contract was ripped up due to the actual numbers being nowhere near the projected numbers sold.

As you'll agree, these are considerably higher than 10,000-20,000.

I would be surprised at this if I'm honest. Channel One top rated show Criminal Minds draws between 250,000 and 300,000 I cant see anyone pushing for a higher audeince with a niche show.

10-20,000 on a mainstream channel? When are you hoping to be on? 3am? I'm really not sure how you can make it worthwhile - actually, I just think it isn't worthwhile - unless you're on ITV or maybe, just maybe, 4 or 5 and drawing an audience in the seven-figure range.

I think 7 figure sums are unrealistic even WWE doesn't get that kind of figure. Live RAW draws about 90,000 and Impact has been doing around the 100,000 mark. Over the course of the year viewing figures for all wrestling related shows are up even doubling in some shows. The 20,000 target would make us the most watched show on some channels or put us in the top 10 of others.

As regards the time that we are on we've made recommendations as to when we think we will draw best based on figures from the last 52 weeks.

In relation to talent we aim to use some of the most high profile free agents around to get media attention and the channel surfer as well as building up the best of british around them.

Holla if you hear me

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RAW is on in the early hours of the morning, on a premium subscription channel, and TNA...well, TNA isn't.

In the USA, where RAW is on at a decent time, we get this...

This week's WWE RAW drew a 3.3 cable rating, with 4,777,000 viewers this week. The show did hours of 3.26 and 3.39.

Why is it so unrealistic to aim for 7 figure viewerships, if like Kenny said, you were on ITV, Channel 4, or Channel 5, which are all terrestrial TV channels? Countdown, a crappy game show, on the day of Carol Vorderman's exit got 1.8m viewers. Put together a decent product, on the right channel, at the right time, and you'll get 7 figure viewing.

• Paid Members
RAW is on in the early hours of the morning, on a premium subscription channel, and TNA...well, TNA isn't.

In the USA, where RAW is on at a decent time, we get this...

This week's WWE RAW drew a 3.3 cable rating, with 4,777,000 viewers this week. The show did hours of 3.26 and 3.39.

Why is it so unrealistic to aim for 7 figure viewerships, if like Kenny said, you were on ITV, Channel 4, or Channel 5, which are all terrestrial TV channels? Countdown, a crappy game show, on the day of Carol Vorderman's exit got 1.8m viewers. Put together a decent product, on the right channel, at the right time, and you'll get 7 figure viewing.

you can't compare the USA to the UK, given that the USA has a far larger population. And the reason Carol Vorderman's last appearance on Countdown may have achieved 1.8 million viewers was because, well, it was her last show and people wanted to see her in her final outing?

Indeed, they wanted to see her last show, possibly under the impression it would be something special. Create something special, and the people will come, right?

Sure, the population is far larger, I was just pointing out that when RAW is live in a better time slot, it does better. If RAW was shown at 2am in the USA, how many viewers do you think it would get? Certainly not 4,777,000.

I've changed the title to reflect todays meetings :angry:

Looks like we now have a venue sorted and talks have begun through our agent with 2 more TV channels. We should have a decision from them by the end of the month.

I'm goosed if i never see the inside of a train again I'll be happy.

By the way its a strange experience seeing your name in a thread title.

• Paid Members
People will obviously say that a new promoter can't afford to pay a marketing company to come up with a "brand" for his promotion or can't afford market research or a slick website but also they can't afford to start promoting shows under a stupid name using advertising no one sees and in an area where no one gives too hoots about wrestling.

Indeed. If you're going to do something, do it right.

People will obviously say that a new promoter can't afford to pay a marketing company to come up with a "brand" for his promotion or can't afford market research or a slick website but also they can't afford to start promoting shows under a stupid name using advertising no one sees and in an area where no one gives too hoots about wrestling.

Indeed. If you're going to do something, do it right.

Why thank you :)

IMHO the new tech on the horizon (Google TV especially) and some of the tech already here (Apple TV) is going to make the Internet even more important to any promotion or worker who wants to seriously raise their profile and increase awareness.

Increasingly more people will be able to stream video content from sites such as YouTube direct to their TVs with the same amount of hassle as it does to find a channel on SKY- The "experts" are predicting that niche market products will see their views go through the roof and that will attract advertising in many respects removing the need for promoters to risk going under by trying to get their product "on TV"

My guess is the first tech savy promotion out there which gets in on the act could overnight position itself as the #1 UK promotion with a sizeable viewing audience.

Archived