British Wrestling on TV

bringbackwrestling

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think another factor to add to this is, not many UK stars have TV experience. Sure, they can work a live crowd, but they're going to be inexperienced playing to a camera, which is an entirely different ball game. Are there plans in place to combat this if using British talent?

Your quite right about British guys not having TV experience but thngs are changing, to their credit the FWA have started to address things but its something that will come in time. We will be using a combination of imported Talent and British Talent for the show and we will be working with the guys on all aspects of their TV performance. Details for wrestlers interested in trying out for the show will be posted in due course.

I've read a lot of this thread not all so forgive me if I miss anything.

Isn't the problem with British Wrestling on TV that no one wants to watch it?

I can see an audience of 500 people being a problem in getting this to do well.

It could be problematic, apart of our research at the moment is to get the right kind of studio so we can fit an audience in. From talks I've had its likely we will adopt a TNA style set up with all crowd in 1 or 2 sections to give the illusion of more people.

We are also starting some crowd gathering work in the next few weeks.

I think another factor to add to this is, not many UK stars have TV experience. Sure, they can work a live crowd, but they're going to be inexperienced playing to a camera, which is an entirely different ball game. Are there plans in place to combat this if using British talent?

Your quite right about British guys not having TV experience but thngs are changing, to their credit the FWA have started to address things but its something that will come in time. We will be using a combination of imported Talent and British Talent for the show and we will be working with the guys on all aspects of their TV performance. Details for wrestlers interested in trying out for the show will be posted in due course.

I've read a lot of this thread not all so forgive me if I miss anything.

Isn't the problem with British Wrestling on TV that no one wants to watch it?

I can see an audience of 500 people being a problem in getting this to do well.

It could be problematic, apart of our research at the moment is to get the right kind of studio so we can fit an audience in. From talks I've had its likely we will adopt a TNA style set up with all crowd in 1 or 2 sections to give the illusion of more people.

We are also starting some crowd gathering work in the next few weeks.

I really meant what are the viewing figures likely to be from TV? No one will watch it, only a very small fanbase such as TWC had.

We may all go on about watching it on TV but it's such a small TV audience. I wouldn't watch it for one. I can just about watch TNA and WWE.

Our target for viewing figures depends on what channel we end up on as well as what time and day. We've done some major trend anaylsis on ratings compared to viewing times and drew some interesting conclusions which we will use as recommendations.

As apart of our sales pitch we need to show viewing figures of between 10,000 - 20,000.

It's then down to us to advertise, advertise and advertise.

Out of interest what would make you watch British Wrestling on TV?

Our target for viewing figures depends on what channel we end up on as well as what time and day. We've done some major trend anaylsis on ratings compared to viewing times and drew some interesting conclusions which we will use as recommendations.

As apart of our sales pitch we need to show viewing figures of between 10,000 - 20,000.

It's then down to us to advertise, advertise and advertise.

Out of interest what would make you watch British Wrestling on TV?

A good effort towards production, like TNA produced in 2002. And no cheesyness. British wrestling always sounds bit cheesy in promos. Guys that don't, Regal, Barrett, Martin Stone to name just a few.

10-20,000 on a mainstream channel? When are you hoping to be on? 3am? I'm really not sure how you can make it worthwhile - actually, I just think it isn't worthwhile - unless you're on ITV or maybe, just maybe, 4 or 5 and drawing an audience in the seven-figure range.

I hate to crap all over this, bu this is never gonna work.

Wrestling just isn't popular anymore, and that's the American stuff like WWE too. So there is no way a British product with some of the crap that's out there in this country is gonna make it onto TV and draw any kind of viewers enough to keep it on TV.

I'm sure we have some good workers but in order to entertain people it's going to need showmanship. In fact the only way I can see this being a draw to viewers at home is to go a completely different direction and have it on after the watershed and have an adult style such as ECW.

You only need to look at shows like Gladiators and that Celebrity Wrestling crap with Roddy Piper to see that this is never gonna work.

I disagree. I see no good reason why a well produced British wrasslin' show can't be a moderate success, if it has the right kind of push and the right talent and some decent booking. The only problem is getting all those things.

• Paid Members
Any thing can be a success if done right. People laughed at Richard Branson when he said he was going to name his company "Virgin". Now the brand name is used in every day conversation with no second thought.

Yeah!....That's....The same.

It is in the fact that both had naysayers. There's no reason why British wrestling couldn't be back on TV. Sure, it won't be easy and an almost vertical uphill climb, but the possibility isn't zero.

I agree with Chemical, Its not fair to shoot anyones dreams down, anyone would love to have wrestling on there tv programs, Channel one (Virgin) loved TNA on there network it pulled in great ratings I believe, even to have some of that success is up.

But as mentioned it would need to be a permanent constantly showing, Galdiators and British wrestling thing was shown during saturday nights (originally) which is'nt great thanks to a certain someone making a saturday night which is taken up by morons who wanna see other morons sing and dance and make an arse outta themselves.

Ok the WWE have clearly taken over TV over here in the UK, but TNA out did WWE over here, as mentioned a little slice of that pie is good. Its getting the channels to accept it and at a time maybe during the evening so everyones watching.

TBH best of luck to ya. Any news please keep the UKFF posted.

Neil if your about this really should be in the main forum toget everyones notice.

• Paid Members
10-20,000 on a mainstream channel? When are you hoping to be on? 3am?

Just saw this. A niche programme was broadcast recently. It was on Channel One (the former Virgin 1) at 7:30pm on a Saturday night (so prime time) and the contract stipulated viewing figures of around 500,000. However, that number was seriously dented due to running against X-Factor, and the actual figures were in the 80,000 mark. Naturally, the contract was ripped up due to the actual numbers being nowhere near the projected numbers sold.

As you'll agree, these are considerably higher than 10,000-20,000.

Just saw this. A niche programme was broadcast recently. It was on Channel One (the former Virgin 1) at 7:30pm on a Saturday night (so prime time) and the contract stipulated viewing figures of around 500,000. However, that number was seriously dented due to running against X-Factor, and the actual figures were in the 80,000 mark. Naturally, the contract was ripped up due to the actual numbers being nowhere near the projected numbers sold.

I don't get what you're saying. You seem to like the idea of this, but from that post it seems you are saying that a show that got much higher viewing figures than the 10,000 - 20,000 this wrestling show will get got canceled. So how can this one do well?

• Paid Members

I don't get what you're saying. You seem to like the idea of this, but from that post it seems you are saying that a show that got much higher viewing figures than the 10,000 - 20,000 this wrestling show will get got canceled. So how can this one do well?

I do like the idea of a British wrestling show on British TV, as does 90% of this forum's members. But I'm also saying that if the target is for 10,000-20,000 viewers then it probably will be on at 3am, and not on a terrestrial channel.

Archived