The US TV Thread: 2010 Season

Chaka Demus

I've only watched Chase and Detroit 187 out of all the new stuff recently and they've got me worried about trying anything else - utter dog shit. The Event sounds good and might give me some hope so I'm going to watch that before anything else.

The returns of Chuck, Dexter and Eastbound and Down have all been great though so hopefully I'll find 2 or 3 new shows to add to my list.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shame about Lone Star. But it just wasn't suited at all to the big networks. If it was aired on HBO or FX it would have done well, I haven't read one bad review about it.

Got a sneaky feeling it'll get picked up by a TNT or FX, which has happened with a couple of critically accalimed, shit in the ratings dramas on the networks.

It's a shame about Lone Star. But it just wasn't suited at all to the big networks. Got a sneaky feeling it'll get picked up by a TNT or FX, which has happened with a couple of critically accalimed, shit in the ratings dramas on the networks.

Doesn't that normally happen with ones that've had a chance to build up a following, can't imagine Lonestar has one after two episodes?

Shame though, I heard great things about the first few episodes but wanted to wait a few to ensure it was going to last at least half a series before getting invested.

Earlier start on Lie To Me is all gravy though, really really enjoy it despite its many flaws.

• Moderators

Fuck me, there's a lot of TV to plough through this season.

The Event is pretty bad so far. You might think it'd be audacious to have a big new post-Lost high concept mystery show that hinges around a flashback structure and a plane crash, but it's all done in such a lazy way. The flashbacks are there to inject some kind of tension in a plot which wouldn't have any were it told in a linear way, and even though it's not confusing, it's a pain in the arse to not be able to look away for a second in case you miss an "eleven months ago" subtitle and not know when the fuck the scene is set. The characters aren't gripping at all either. It might be unfair, but any show like this is automatically going to be compared to Lost, and yeah, that was the greatest pilot ever, but 2 episodes in to The Event and I haven't been given a reason to give a shit about any of the characters.

Maybe we've, or I've, just reached a point where after so much great TV like The Wire and Lost, you see through bad TV so quickly that there's just no tolerance for it.

Maybe we've, or I've, just reached a point where after so much great TV like The Wire and Lost, you see through bad TV so quickly that there's just no tolerance for it.

I think that's the case with most people, which is probably why there's less serialized drama's these days. There probably won't be any soon. After great programs like Lost, Prison Break and to a certain extent Heroes it's hard to see where they can go with that type of program.

I've quite enjoyed The Event so far but I do agree with you on the Flashbacks. They do seems to be stuck in at random intervals and as you say it discourages the vierer from looking away from the TV, which can't be a good thing. Going by people's reactions (Based purley on the TVIV on Something Awful) that seems to be a big problem with others as well.

Treme was good - season 1 has finished but season 2 will air Spring next year.

Only 10 episodes long so definitely worth a shot.

Thanks for the tip, I've just seen episode 1, although I didn't get hooked on it straight away I will give it a chance just like I gave the Wire a chance and that paid off.

Archived