Sign in to follow this  
patiirc

The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

16 minutes ago, patiirc said:

I've not actually played the mobile version so cannot comment 

Other tips

When opposition is out of breath in tag matches don't grapple, punch them 3 times til they fall and then stomp as you wont win grapples

Tag when your partner is powered up and you wont lose a grapple until power up has disappeared

When you have two partners with low energy and are not in the cage. Body slam opponent out and use table/ stairs/ boxes and try and go for a count out as you cannot be pinned on the outside.

Million Dollar Man and Perfect dont have body slams, so if going for rumble eliminations then avoid as it's more difficult to get all opponents out

Demolition are good rumble choices, their lack of fancy special moves (longer animations) means that they are ideal for breaking up pins or using body slams etc

There used to be a cracking guide on the net along time ago, but I cannot find it currently. However the basics are as with many beat'em ups is that you are looking for timings and animations hence the two punches then grapple.  Moves change when opponents have depleted energy so you can adjust strategy accordingly and try not to go for pins when the player is not depleted enough. Depeding on how dips and difficulty are set will depend how much damage you take per move. LOD are always over powered and have a bigger energy bar in that sense however punch and run seems to work, ditto out the ring for count out if you are trying to one credit and have low energy

Amazing, that’s brilliant thanks. I’m going to try and squeeze in another go later!

Edited by scratchdj

I didn't even realised it got a DS release. I hear it was pretty dreadful on 360/PS3. Hopefully it's not as bad as the DS Smackdown Vs Raw games with all their "draw this pattern on screen to escape the hold" mechanics that were implemented so poorly your guy ended up tapping out to Randy Orton's first chinlock of the match. 

Given the tagline and cover stars I expect it's quite separate from the PS360 release, though you could never really attempt a similar experience between those platforms and the DS anyway. It would have to be designed as its own game.

I'm actually in possession of a copy. Bought it from a GameStop in Orlando in 2010. 

It definitely uses the same engine as the PS3/Xbox game with obviously much scaled back graphics. The roster was updated due to the few years that had passed since the original release although I'm sure some of them were just reskins of other characters.  It is ok for what it is and the platform it is on at the time (although I'm not sure it will have aged well so not sure how passible it would be now).

I would say it is worth buying for its uniqueness if it is fairly cheap but wouldn't pay a massive amount for it. A psp version was also released at the same time however it is closer to the PS3 version and doesn't contain Hogan etc.

Edit: gameplay footage on YouTube 

Edited by iMPACt!

4 hours ago, Uncle Zeb said:

Cheers, I might get it for the Six Sides of Brexit ring canvas alone.

Unfortunately no playable Nigel Farage is contained on the cart.

I'm going to dig out my copy tonight now and take a nostalgia trip.

Edited by iMPACt!

I fired up TNA on the Xbox 360 not so long ago and it wasn’t at as terrible as I thought it’d be. It kind of reminded me an Acclaim arcade title and when you treat it like that, it’s not a bad half hour of fun.

Edited by scratchdj

I quite liked the TNA game on the main consoles. Was a good first attempt at a wrestling game, had a very fun engine, was fast and easy to pick up and play. It looked and animated fantastically for the time. The crap pinning system and severe lack of moves and match types hurt it. The base was there. If it got a sequel it'd probably have been easily my favourite wrestling game since the Day of Reckonings.

The try-hard epic intro that makes it seem like it's going to cure cancer is amazing, too.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

32 minutes ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

I quite liked the TNA game on the main consoles. Was a good first attempt at a wrestling game, had a very fun engine, was fast and easy to pick up and play. It looked and animated fantastically for the time. The crap pinning system and severe lack of moves and match types hurt it. The base was there. If it got a sequel it'd probably have been easily my favourite wrestling game since the Day of Reckonings.

The try-hard epic intro that makes it seem like it's going to cure cancer is amazing, too.

The pin system on the consoles is brutal. Almost impossible to kick out by wiggling the analogue stick.

The AI in the story mode is also ridiculous. So so hard as they kick out and reverse everything along with getting second winds.

It is great for quick exhibition matches though and had some good moments. That and Don West on commentary. Definitely a great base for a game and could have had a great sequel. 

2 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

Someone learnt how to do lens flares that week.