Sign in to follow this  
patiirc

The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

Jedi Knight 2 is now out on PS4 and Switch, less than a tenner too. It really is a bare bones release tho, you're not even getting the multiplayer but there's still a lot of good old game for the money.

Me and my mate were back at the Centre for Computing History in Cambridge for their latest arcade night and had a brilliant time as usual.

We've missed the last few so it was interesting to see the different stuff they had. At first, we were a little underwhelmed at the cabinets there, but we soon realised the lack of some of the more popular machines meant we were playing stuff we’ve never played before and would normally skip for our favourites. I’d never have though I’d be spending my Saturday night trading high scores with a local man on Red Barron, for example.

They also had two pinball tables, a Wii with House of the Dead on a big projector and all the usual computers and consoles setup.

We got speaking to a man who had built a really interesting setup. He’d got original arcade boards and hade made stackable trays for them and a universal connector to a custom-built system that recognised the game and setup a joystick panel accordingly. The custom bit showed details of the game being played and allowed several settings to be updated, and the screen was even on a jig that could be rotated 90 degrees for vertical shooters. We were a little in awe of it and how good it was.

CB53661E-182A-420A-BA32-B38715BBEEDA.jpeg

5DCC5CC5-01AF-4B49-96B0-2AF294DC9F18.jpeg

F2C464AA-E8FC-4076-A915-8CA712F17CDA.jpeg

9E5ED17A-B33B-47F7-BDC7-311F673A0948.jpeg

7664D8B8-E4BD-4D02-A81D-50D4555C79FE.jpeg

DDA66C37-5929-45D0-B321-106DAA7E0988.jpeg

304F848F-E49E-470E-82FA-A370F75127AF.jpeg

CEFA6962-F073-4649-B353-FD41FE69FD84.jpeg

381801BE-B30B-4D2E-8AC4-BCFD01FE4FBB.jpeg

CE09CA7D-3CE0-439D-AE6B-61FB2F808D5B.jpeg

74C3529F-0CE9-4EAC-AD95-F5C946B6AC57.jpeg

CA00FCD3-F12E-4E22-9CA9-61E8880C9AEC.jpeg

73ED728E-32DC-4243-8A5F-0262458BB007.jpeg

Edited by scratchdj

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

That looks like a great day out.

Yeah it really was. It’s such a well-run place and always a lovely atmosphere, we love going there.

In a continuation of my Vita homebrew journey, my sd2Vita arrived yesterday, along with a 128gb microSD. I think this may be the handheld I retire to my grave with. NPS was scarily easy to work.

I've got an R3 card somewhere, so I'm going to turn my DS Lite into a main GBA/DS emulator and that'll be it. I'll be set for life.

8 hours ago, Accident Prone said:

In a continuation of my Vita homebrew journey, my sd2Vita arrived yesterday, along with a 128gb microSD. I think this may be the handheld I retire to my grave with. NPS was scarily easy to work.

I've got an R3 card somewhere, so I'm going to turn my DS Lite into a main GBA/DS emulator and that'll be it. I'll be set for life.

Yep, NPS is freakishly easy to use and baffles me somewhat. I keep expecting it to stop working once “Sony find out”.

Glad you’re enjoying the Vita awesomeness 👍

I discovered from a YouTube video the other day that if you change the language settings on the Megadrive Mini to Japanese it allows you to play the Japanese versions of the games. Rumour has it that the American ROMS are in there somewhere, as if you set the American Megadrive Mini to a European language it'll let you play the PAL versions, while English defaults to the North American version. I wonder how much it'd be to import one from North America to be able to play all three sets of ROMs. I guess you've then got the issue of power converters and the like, though.

14 hours ago, scratchdj said:

Yep, NPS is freakishly easy to use and baffles me somewhat. I keep expecting it to stop working once “Sony find out”.

Glad you’re enjoying the Vita awesomeness 👍

A game I downloaded last night updated this morning, and I for sure thought I was fucked and found out, but it just started working as it should. So perplexing. It was your initial post that started this!

Edited by Accident Prone