The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

Amiga Power was great. I still have loads of them. Official PlayStation Magazine was another one I bought. CVG. There was another multiformat magazine called Maximum. Which was very good. It only came out for a few issues though. Seven in total. The quality of the magazine was immense. A real Joy to read and lovingly put together.

Edited by BigJag

• Paid Members

Crash for Speccy, although it as my dad buying them.

Amiga Power for the Amiga stuff, a belting magazine that truly helped my with my Monkey Island adventuring, their walkthroughs were great.

Playstation stuff I used to read Powerstation and PSM, would get the official if the demos were good.

I also read another Playstation mag that I can't recall the name of, they were a little bit more risqué with half dressed women everywhere (hints and tips pages featured a stunning brunette in a Docs outfit normally looking over glasses and biting seductively on a pen) they once did a feature with an experiment on whether gaming was more exciting than sex. That was a great mag for teenaged me.

From then on to cover all bases I'd read Total or Retro Gamer. Did a lot of train journeys between Wolverhampton and Reading, Total and RG were always in my hands to pass the time.

What gaming magazines did everyone buy?

I was a big fan of Total! and still have all the issues to this day.

Yep, I loved Total. Nearly applied to have them round for dinner but didn't want them to see how povvy we were.

Total was brilliant. I would collect them monthly until I moved to Germany in 1994. I think I missed Total more than anything when I lived there. I remember seeing a copy of Total in a supermarket, and sprinting up to the magazine aisle. "Finally, I'm about to get my Andy Dyer fix again!" I thought, then my hopes got dashed when it was all German :(

Moved back to England months later, but the magic wasn't there anymore.

What gaming magazines did everyone buy?

I was a big fan of Total! and still have all the issues to this day.

Yep, I loved Total. Nearly applied to have them round for dinner but didn't want them to see how povvy we were.

Total was brilliant. I would collect them monthly until I moved to Germany in 1994. I think I missed Total more than anything when I lived there. I remember seeing a copy of Total in a supermarket, and sprinting up to the magazine aisle. "Finally, I'm about to get my Andy Dyer fix again!" I thought, then my hopes got dashed when it was all German :(

Moved back to England months later, but the magic wasn't there anymore.

I went off the magazine a bit when Steve Jarratt left to launch Edge Magazine and was replaced by Frank O'Connor, but loved it again when Andy Dyer took over, shame he was only there for about 6 or so issues.

The last few issues were a bit of a mess (and seemingly difficult to find in my local newsagent compared to earlier issues) but in a way I still enjoyed them.

All this talk of old games magazines has reminded me of one of the greatest things to ever appear on television - the Gamesmaster "Dave Perry Incident". Journo Dave had written an article making a big deal about not playing the N64 until it was officially released in the UK, and then found himself having to play Mario 64 (before it was out in the UK) for a challenge on Gamesmaster. He lost, claimed he'd been set up, had a sulk and never appeared on the show again. Fantastic stuff, and hilariously uncomfortable to watch. Let's all have a right good chuckle at the silly old tit getting stroppy!

https://youtu.be/UEFr6ACZ8sI

• Paid Members

I remember looking at the Amiga magazines just before they all died off and they were like 7.99 in 1998 money, which was mental. Still promising that "Championship Manager 2" would appear on the Amiga. :(

Oh, I remember that stuff from "Gamesmaster". Cringe-worthy.

He had in fact been set up. Dominik Diamond used to do that shit a lot (on other shows). What a wank, the lot of them.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

I collected EVERY magazine I could, even the small US one (Electronic Monthly?), Edge, CVG (shit paper) and Nintendo Power were my favourites.

This thread has bought up massive nostalgia ( I really don't play anymore), and I don't want to google because that's no fun, but have I made up a game on either Commodore or Spectrum called Colin The Cleaner because that was the bollocks.

• Paid Members

Just bought this for Rey's Image for the Pi. Should get it tomorrow. Hope it works. I blindly bought a counterfeit card off of ebay that I've won a dispute for. What a whammer!

Bloody hell that's cheap! That's the card I used for Reys and it works fine.

Must have been a misprice. They've just cancelled my order this morning. Confused as they've had this as a price for a really long while.

EDIT: Amazon now have them for around the same price. Will give them a go!

Edited by Bettencourt

• Paid Members

Zzap was brilliant. The Mighty Brain on the letters page. Roger Frames buys budget games. I used to like reading Commodore Format as well. There were some cracking games on their covertapes. When I had an Amiga I'd read CU Amiga. PSW was a good mag as well. GamesTM is a good magazine nowadays, as is Retro Gamer. They sometimes use the Oliver Frey artwork from Crash for their covers, depending on what the big cover story is that month.

mag_mean_machines_sega_oct1_LRG.jpgGamesmaster_Games_Master_Issue_1_January

Be still my beating heart...

I bought many a copy of theses. Always enjoyed Gamesmaster, always had console envy though as as a kid only had a Gameboy, until i left school when i borrowed my mate Snes.. I gave it back 6 months later... 

Found this..https://archive.org/details/mean-machines-magazine 

Have a read of some old issues!

Edited by King of Hamptons