The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members

I never got the Double Dragon hype, the original arcade game is a pile of shite and I've never played a port or sequel that impressed me. Have I missed out on a version I should be playing?

Yeah, they even made a film version of "Double Dragon" which was shite as well. "Streets of Rage" for me,

Best game I ever played for the Speccy was "Armageddon Man" and nobody has ever heard it, which makes 12 year old Baz sad. You basically played God and you controlled everything. Probably shit looking back, but there you go.

Think this might be it: http://www.worldofspectrum.org/infoseekid.cgi?id=0000269

Edited by bAzTNM#1

It definitely deserves a higher place in history than it seems to hold, as one of those perfectly-formed gameplay concepts alongside Tetris and Breakout. Perhaps being British is what holds it back from greater recognition.

Lemmings was very much a European phenomenon, where home computers ruled the roost unlike in Japan and America where consoles were the big boys. There were console ports but they played awkwardly just like other greats including Cannon Fodder which'll also never be held in the highest regards outside of this continent.

I've made a conscious effort to stay away from the SEGA/Nintendo retro eras and play more "local" games, luckily there are now a few great youtubers creating content based on these too so it's not all AVGN types.

• Paid Members

What are "Sensible Software" up to these days? Apart from "Sensible Golf" (which was decent enough. Couldn't live up to the hype.) and their joke game "Sensible Trainspotting" (which was meant to be shit), everything was gold-dust (n. Goldust).

Edited by bAzTNM#1

What are "Sensible Software" up to these days? Apart from "Sensible Golf" (which was decent enough. Couldn't live up to the hype.) and their joke game "Sensible Trainspotting" (which was meant to be shit), everything was gold-dust (n. Goldust).

Sold to and integrated into Codemasters in 1999. They had some great games, but the 3d console jump hit them hard.

• Paid Members

Sensible Golf was a fantastic game, especially when you compare it to a lot of the more modern mobile gaming golf games and things like Everybody's Golf.

Nothing better than hearing an 'EEEEEAGLE!' After chipping in from a bunker.

SWOS is still my all time favourite football game. Adored it.

You weren't a true Amiga owner unless you owned that demo of Sensi where the ball would randomly explode.

Amiga Power/Format were the two main mags until the official Playstation one started up, mostly for the coverdiscs with this being the daddy of them all.

$_1.JPG

I was also the nerd that covered his school books in glue and stuck images from the mags on them.. better than leftover wallpaper like some kids.

Amiga Power/Format were the two main mags until the official Playstation one started up, mostly for the coverdiscs with this being the daddy of them all.

$_1.JPG

I was also the nerd that covered his school books in glue and stuck images from the mags on them.. better than leftover wallpaper like some kids.

I remember buying PSM fairly often but the cover price was a bit steep for 15/16 year old to buy on a regular basis, I did buy that one though just for the MSG Demo and after playing it, I couldnt wait to get the full game!