The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

2 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

If you can find a Sunday afternoon around the start of a month that you're free I'll happily pop up to Arcade Club with you for a few hours. That's when it tends to be quietest.

I'm meant to be picking up @Devon Malcolm on the way, hope he still isn't waiting!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I was sent an original WrestleFest JAMMA by Ashens last week and met up with Phil who runs NERG (North East Retro Gaming Event).

The aim was to see if we could fit the motherboard in to an empty JAMMA cabinet. 

I plan to run a WrestleFest tournament at NERG in July, and the following short, 3 minute video documents the upcoming event and our efforts of getting WrestleFest up and running. I’d appreciate a watch if you have a moment.

Ill be running a competition (shock horror) for some free tickets to The NERG event. 

I love this game so much and I’m overjoyed to have an original in my possession. 

Just need Superstars now 🙂

• Paid Members

For those with a PC and access to GOG, I'd highly recommend Beneath a Steel Sky. It's a free to download Point n Click from 1994, but it's very very good. The writing in it is fantastic, had me in stitches for the most part. Some very clever puzzles and a decent story.

• Awards Moderator
On 3/16/2019 at 10:28 AM, FelatioLips said:

For those with a PC and access to GOG, I'd highly recommend Beneath a Steel Sky. It's a free to download Point n Click from 1994, but it's very very good. The writing in it is fantastic, had me in stitches for the most part. Some very clever puzzles and a decent story.

I bought it the week it came out and didn't put the Amiga down until it was done. Replayed it about ten years ago, and pleased to see it wasn't nostalgia talking but was legitimately good. 

• Paid Members

Speaking of GOG, I downloaded the original Diablo recently. My internet's down at home, so plowed a couple of hours into it and got six levels in.

I'd forgotten most of it, but so much of it sends nostalgia flooding back. I'd completely forgotten that it pretty much all seems to take place in a "labyrinth" under the church, that's barely a casual stroll away from the town. A bit of a change of pace when I'd got used to globe-trotting RPGs. I'd definitely conflated a lot of this and Diablo 2 in my memory, too.

• Paid Members

Torchlight is good as well. It's a similar concept, but it's steampunk as opposed to the fantasy setting of Diablo. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Torchlight is good as well. It's a similar concept, but it's steampunk as opposed to the fantasy setting of Diablo. 

Oooh, might have to check that out. I've been fancying some steampunk gaming lately - it looks a little too much along the "goggles and haircuts" side of steampunk rather than the blimps and Victoriana retro-futurism I'd prefer, but beggars can't be choosers.

On that topic, Civilisation 2 had an expansion pack called "Fantastic Worlds", which featured a Jules Verne-themed scenario that I loved. Does anyone know of a full-fledged strategy game in that vein?