The UKFF Retro Gaming Thread

patiirc

• Paid Members
16 hours ago, MungoChutney said:

I got a Retro Pi for Christmas and it's great. Played right through Streets of Rage with my son last night. Bloody marvellous getting to share that with him. 

Class.

When we set up at gaming conventions (not wrestling specific ones) the kids always want to play Fortnite & Fifa, but the dads obviously aren’t arsed. Then they spot our retro hub with Streets of Rage & Golden Axe etc and their eyes light up. They make a beeline and it’s always the same outcome, the kid sees an opportunity to play some games with dad and both get really in to it. Quality bonding.

The one that springs to mind is the time a dad told the kid, whilst playing Streets of Rage, “Don’t press A, it’s a special weapon, save it for the boss”. He tried to explain several times, but the kid pressed it straight away, several times, with no baddies in sight. The dad reaches over, taps the reset button and says, “Look son, this is really important, please listen to daddy, DO NOT press A”. Every single adult in the room could sense & understand his frustration. It was almost like retaliation for every time the kid has had to explain to dad, how and why you play minecraft.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I played through the first Streets Of Rage on that "Ultimate" Megadrive collection for PS4 last night. I'd read that it was a good collection in terms of the number of games, but that it somehow struggles to properly emulate them, which is odd given how powerful the PS4 is and how it should easily be able to run something as "simple" as a Megadrive emulator.

Anyway, I digress. Thewholeway through  the game it just felt a bit off. The AI was acting erratically, inputs were being  dropped, strange collision detection, slowdown, Just avery odd experience playing through the game. The two Blaze pallette swap bosses completely ignored me both times we encountered them unless I got aggressive and  went after  them, but the number of times I walked right up and grabbed them (which is usually near impossible) was ridiculous. Also we pissed the last boss. Most unusual. I'm tempted to give SOR2 a go tonight, but am anticipating a similarly off experience. I'd have thought Sega/whoever made this would have somehow patched it since release, but maybe it's not possible. Good job I have the Sega Vintage Collection Streets Of Rage collection on my XBox 360/One, and the standalone SOR2 release for it, the M2 port for 3DS and my Megadrive if need be.

M2 should be hired to do every port, they're amazing at it.

It's not a retro game as such but has anyone played DUSK? It's the best 90's FPS since Quake but made in Unity only last year, it's amazing how genuine it feels but with many of it's own ideas amongst those taken from games like Blood and even Redneck Rampage,

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Merzbow said:

M2 should be hired to do every port, they're amazing at it.

It's not a retro game as such but has anyone played DUSK? It's the best 90's FPS since Quake but made in Unity only last year, it's amazing how genuine it feels but with many of it's own ideas amongst those taken from games like Blood and even Redneck Rampage,

They did all the3D Sega ports on3DS I think,and they're awesome. It's a shame they don't think they can get SOR3 ported on there though so the whole trilogy is done. Well, Bare Knuckle 3 as the localisation for Europe/North America ruined it. I've got a fan translated ROM of BK3 and it's so much better. If I'm playing 3 on my360/XBone I have to set it to the Japanese version as it's properly balanced, and it has Ash.

sor3-7.gif?w=136

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, hallicks said:

@jazzygeofferz what's unbalanced about the game? Genuinely curious as it's been so many years since I played it regularly, I remember it being harder than the previous one. I always go back to SOR2 when I'm jonesing for a side scrolling beat em up. 

Sega of America thought Bare Knuckle 3 was too easy,so they upped the difficulty. The"easy" mode on SOR3 is Bare Knuckle 3's "normal" difficulty etc, so when you're playing on Normal you're actually playing on "hard" etc.It shows as well, because it just feels too much.  When I'm playing SOR2 on Normal it's a challenge, but it still feels fair,while SOR3 feels like a slog. Plus they butchered the colours of the characters' costumes, rerecorded the voice samples for Axel & Blaze's blitz attacks,changed some of the in game mechanics as well I think.

Streets Of Rage 2 is one of the best games ever made. Arguably the best game on Megadrive with the possible exceptions of Aladdin and/or Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, hallicks said:

Urgh, disaster! Didn't know about all that, thanks for info. 

You're best playing Bare Knuckle 3.If my desktop PC was working I'd stick my fan-translated ROM on my Dropbox for you. It's still a good game at the heart of it, you can tell the Megadrive is struggling with it,though. Playing on an emulator eliminates the slowdown as well.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Streets of Rage Remake has become my go-to for some SoR these days, I just love how customisable it is with elements from all three games a few new tricks too if you fancy them.

Do you remember Beats Of Rage on Dreamcast? It was a homebrew which used assets from the King Of Fighters games. That was supposed to be pretty good. I've seen the Streets Of Rage Remake. It looks cracking. There are so many great things like that out there. If anybody likes the old Command & Conquer games there's one called OpenRA which is like an HD update of them in open source. You can play the campaign missions, skirmishes or online, and it's all free. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Any Greater Manchester/North West-based forumites seen this? There's a barcade called NQ64 opening next weekend in  the Northern Quarter. You pay a fiver and they give you 15 credits to use on any of the arcade/pinballmachines or consoles in there. There's booze and snap as well. Looks pretty interesting. I'm more than likely going to give it a month or two  for the hype to blow over then give it a look if anybody fancies an excursion there?

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/nq64-arcade-games-bar-manchester-15821870?fbclid=IwAR1DFK4DpscZvGPlFiMz_SEPRmZo3a19VB_rlAveBg0a5TtW92aNDVfBTgA

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah I saw that and am planning a visit to it, saying that I've been planning my visit to the one in Bury since that opened as well.

If you can find a Sunday afternoon around the start of a month that you're free I'll happily pop up to Arcade Club with you for a few hours. That's when it tends to be quietest.