The moment you thought about quitting wrestling

IANdrewDiceClay

Del Rio is amazing. I agree that the vignettes were shit- I wasn't at all excited about his debut at all, but since he has been on SmackDown he has been phenomenal.

Agreed fully, vignettes were repetative but ever since his debut he has been the only thing thats got me watching Smackdown. Didn't ever expect him going over Rey on his first night and with such a sweet submission.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Awards Moderator
I still maintain that the rapid ascension of JBL to the main event, and his title win, were terribly done. The last person he wrestled before he challenged for the WWE Title was Scotty 2 Hotty. There was no attempt to make him a top guy by putting him with other top guys (not that there were many on SmackDown at that point, but Scotty 2 Hotty?)

The Judgment Day main event with Eddie ended in a DQ, and I'm fairly sure Jables didn't even wrestle again until the GAB, where he actually won the title, and did so in a really unconvincing way. Didn't there have to be a referee restart for him to win?

That coupled with the fact the first few months of his title reign were pretty weak and uneventful, meant I couldn't like him as Champion. Great character, yeah, but not Champion. It took til near the end to bring me round, and now I kind of miss him, especially on commentary.

The match wasn't re-started Angle (I think was the GM at the time) showed footage of the match ending and thatshowed JBL touched a turnbuckle first (the ref thought Eddie had touched it first).

Ah, I see. That's even worse than a restart. To win me over, the win had to be decisive, and to win it like that... It's basically a fluke, isn't it?

• Paid Members
Ah, I see. That's even worse than a restart. To win me over, the win had to be decisive, and to win it like that... It's basically a fluke, isn't it?

What are you on about? It wasn't designed to 'win you over'. JBL was the heel, the finish was designed to piss you off. Mission accomplished.

• Paid Members
Hitler did much the same thing, mind, and he got made Taoiseach of Germany because of it.

I'm pretty sure he was never appointed Taoiseach. He was made the Chancellor of Germany however.

• Paid Members
Boring promos, boring vignettes, boring gimmick

A return to the dork ages of Mid 90's WWF.

Oh, God. Yes Please! If Only!

I did as well. It was like your team losing and your favourite player heading the winner in. Its funny how you can look back at your attitude at the time and see how it buried Bret. I remember me and my friends all talking about it at school saying "well Bret is good, but Hogans much better because he beat Yokozuna". The power of protecting someone is evident in the 8 year old Ian's playground convos.

:laugh: We must have gone to the same school!

Edited by garynysmon

Hitler did much the same thing, mind, and he got made Taoiseach of Germany because of it.

I'm pretty sure he was never appointed Taoiseach.

Well that's a shame. I really, genuinely thought he was. Now fuck off back to your ROH hovel-thread and have a cry, you useless little wretch.

I still maintain that the rapid ascension of JBL to the main event, and his title win, were terribly done. The last person he wrestled before he challenged for the WWE Title was Scotty 2 Hotty. There was no attempt to make him a top guy by putting him with other top guys (not that there were many on SmackDown at that point, but Scotty 2 Hotty?)

The Judgment Day main event with Eddie ended in a DQ, and I'm fairly sure Jables didn't even wrestle again until the GAB, where he actually won the title, and did so in a really unconvincing way. Didn't there have to be a referee restart for him to win?

That coupled with the fact the first few months of his title reign were pretty weak and uneventful, meant I couldn't like him as Champion. Great character, yeah, but not Champion. It took til near the end to bring me round, and now I kind of miss him, especially on commentary.

The match wasn't re-started Angle (I think was the GM at the time) showed footage of the match ending and thatshowed JBL touched a turnbuckle first (the ref thought Eddie had touched it first).

Here you go http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtU1F63QzRQ

• Awards Moderator

What are you on about? It wasn't designed to 'win you over'. JBL was the heel, the finish was designed to piss you off. Mission accomplished.

I'm fully aware of that, but a champion, face or heel, has to be perceived to have some kind of ability, or he wouldn't be challenging for the title, and JBL didn't really show that for me until he was well into his title reign. If he cheats to win the belt, fair game, that's a finish designed to piss people off and want to see Eddie get his revenge or Taker get the title off him or whatever, but the way he won it didn't even do that for me, and as a result I didn't buy into him as a champion or care enough about the title to want to see anyone with it. Explaining what I'm on about accomplished!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
wrestlemania-20-victory.jpg

Definitely mine- Benoit winning the title that is, not killing his family.

After Mania 20, with Benoit & Guerrero embracing with their world title, I realised for me WWE could probably not get any better than that moment. So I stopped watching it after that point. I still watch it now & then, but not religiously like I did.

• Paid Members

I'm fully aware of that, but a champion, face or heel, has to be perceived to have some kind of ability, or he wouldn't be challenging for the title, and JBL didn't really show that for me until he was well into his title reign. If he cheats to win the belt, fair game, that's a finish designed to piss people off and want to see Eddie get his revenge or Taker get the title off him or whatever, but the way he won it didn't even do that for me, and as a result I didn't buy into him as a champion or care enough about the title to want to see anyone with it. Explaining what I'm on about accomplished!

OK I get you now, but I think it had been well established already in this thread that rushing the belt onto JBL was a massively unpopular move at the time. The fluke manner in which he won the actual title match had nothing to do with it, it was the fact that he was there in the first place and booked to win that pissed everybody off. Your earlier post made it sound like you were not impressed because JBL hadn't outwrestled Guerrero.

Definitely mine- Benoit winning the title that is, not killing his family.

I meant him winning the title as well. I couldn't stand the everlasting Triple H-Michaels rivalry and the one thing worse than that was Chris Benoit as champion. If it weren't for the Foley vs Orton feud, I wouldn't have been following Raw at all at that point.

10.jpg

This with piano wire a couple of days after 7/7

Yeah because two wrestlers are totally relevent to 7/7.

Some pretty important people thought otherwise, and Hassan was subsequently removed from Smackdown and his character written off at the Great American Bash PPV. Relevance-wise I just was not comfortable seeing this in the PPV highlight package a few days after 7/7, they could have easilly edited it off but chose not to, and that's what pissed me off.

batista-vs-jbl-images_display_image.jpg

This match. Batista been exposed as a bore as a face when not feuding with Triple H and the match was generally shit. The main event scene wasn't convincing me to sit through pay per views anymore. It wasn't until the day after December to Dismember that I did switch off for a year though.