The moment you thought about quitting wrestling

IANdrewDiceClay

• Awards Moderator

I still maintain that the rapid ascension of JBL to the main event, and his title win, were terribly done. The last person he wrestled before he challenged for the WWE Title was Scotty 2 Hotty. There was no attempt to make him a top guy by putting him with other top guys (not that there were many on SmackDown at that point, but Scotty 2 Hotty?)

The Judgment Day main event with Eddie ended in a DQ, and I'm fairly sure Jables didn't even wrestle again until the GAB, where he actually won the title, and did so in a really unconvincing way. Didn't there have to be a referee restart for him to win?

That coupled with the fact the first few months of his title reign were pretty weak and uneventful, meant I couldn't like him as Champion. Great character, yeah, but not Champion. It took til near the end to bring me round, and now I kind of miss him, especially on commentary.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 pages of people mentioning all kinds of shit with no critisism, then a few mentions of Cena lead to the people posting it being questioned for why they hate him and people summizing it's just because it's the cool thing to do.

I'm all for discussion and everything but a lot of people on here seem to dismiss anyone critisizing John Cena as someone doing it just to get a reaction.

Personally I find his matches hard to enjoy because his offence and his selling - so everything he does inside a wrestling ring - are so phony looking (something I've never said about any other WWE main eventer ever) that I can't suspend my disbelief, and I have the same problem with his promos. I love psychology in a match where the heel breaks down the babyface until he can muster up a comeback. That's probably the biggest critisism of Cena (and there are many), that he STILL hasn't grasped the concept that if somebody works for 10 minutes on your arm or leg you really shouldn't be running around or picking people up 2 minutes later.

So there is literally nothing about John Cena I enjoy watching.

... just kidding, I only don't like him because it's the cool thing to do.

Aye, pretty much sums it up. However, I think his promos are usually well delivered - it's just that the idiot writers tend to give him awful, cheesey shit to work with.

Besides which, I don't have a vagina or play in a sandpit (well, sometimes on Saturdays...), so Cena is clearly not being marketed to the likes of me, so bollocks to it.

Edited by Wendell Cooley

I still maintain that the rapid ascension of JBL to the main event, and his title win, were terribly done. The last person he wrestled before he challenged for the WWE Title was Scotty 2 Hotty. There was no attempt to make him a top guy by putting him with other top guys (not that there were many on SmackDown at that point, but Scotty 2 Hotty?)

The Judgment Day main event with Eddie ended in a DQ, and I'm fairly sure Jables didn't even wrestle again until the GAB, where he actually won the title, and did so in a really unconvincing way. Didn't there have to be a referee restart for him to win?

That coupled with the fact the first few months of his title reign were pretty weak and uneventful, meant I couldn't like him as Champion. Great character, yeah, but not Champion. It took til near the end to bring me round, and now I kind of miss him, especially on commentary.

The match wasn't re-started Angle (I think was the GM at the time) showed footage of the match ending and thatshowed JBL touched a turnbuckle first (the ref thought Eddie had touched it first).

I'm no huge fan either (he's been really good most of this year but the prospect of him vs Orton again has made me hate both of them a bit), just commenting on the "I'm too old and male to like him!" superiority complex. Although I feel like I'm too old and wise to just go along with what Fin Martin and Wade Keller spout, so I'm just as guilty of being condescending.

Only women and kids like Cena/Hornswoggle/WWE etc, only virgins and losers like cruiserweights/Shimmer/indies etc. Why can't we all just stereotype along?

Edited by Pityinthecityofsin

i think Cena's promo's are ok, until he slows down near the end....and every time he has to end up SHOUTING SOMETHING LIKE 'BY POOPY I AM GOING TO WIN ON SUNDAY'

imagine if everything you said had to end in a massive shout

i think Cena's promo's are ok, until he slows down near the end....and every time he has to end up SHOUTING SOMETHING LIKE 'BY POOPY I AM GOING TO WIN ON SUNDAY'

imagine if everything you said had to end in a massive shout

It's weird, it's like he gets himself angered by making references to old NES games and American adverts I haven't seen, and he just has to scream. Hitler did much the same thing, mind, and he got made Taoiseach of Germany because of it.

I'm no huge fan either (he's been really good most of this year but the prospect of him vs Orton again has made me hate both of them a bit), just commenting on the "I'm too old and male to like him!" superiority complex. Although I feel like I'm too old and wise to just go along with what Fin Martin and Wade Keller spout, so I'm just as guilty of being condescending.

Only women and kids like Cena/Hornswoggle/WWE etc, only virgins and losers like cruiserweights/Shimmer/indies etc.

Fair enough. Your harsh words have upset me, though, so I'll cheer myself up by watching Cena get massacred by the fappers at One Night Stand:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJhHDoarORU

Now THAT'S why I fucking love wrestling.

11_Vangry.jpg

made me physically sick when that pair jiggled down to the ring.

whyyoucb6.jpg

crap stupid and childish I could put up with but giving him the cruiserweight title made me nearly tear my hair out.

080930_SamoaJoe_215x350.JPG

Best explain. I love Samoa Joe, I still think he's a great wrestler and deserves more. It's not him having the title I didn't like it was the way he was booked. Joe beats Kurt Angle is a classic match and wins the title, then someone (say Scott Steiner who Joe's faced and beaten before) comes out and challenges him. joe accepts and then Kevin Nash (his mentor and best friend whose abandoned him in loads of tag matches) says 'nah you can't beat him' and Joe throws a wobbly. For seven months this went on, Joe and the title suffered. Joe looked pathetic and whiny, the title was devalued by Joe's stature of 'loser who doesn't deserve it' and nothing made sense. I hated it by the time it finished, shit booking by Vince Russo and why he should be fired.

• Paid Members
Has anyone posted this?

hornswoggle.jpg

I loved it.

I know you're only smark-baiting here, but I must admit I didn't like it. I didn't have a problem with them putting the belt on him so much, it was the fact that they retired the title while he held it. I know the Cruiserweight championship had been treated like a joke for years, but I still think it was very sad for it to end it's run as a comedy title with a midget champion. Only bothered me a little bit though, I wasn't going to turn the TV off in disgust or anything like that.

wwe1.jpg

Boring promos, boring vignettes, boring gimmick.

A return to the dork ages of Mid 90's WWF.

Del Rio is amazing. I agree that the vignettes were shit- I wasn't at all excited about his debut at all, but since he has been on SmackDown he has been phenomenal.

Edited by AmpedUp