The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

How does everyone feel about Penn being dismissed as overrated now?

Nah, I wouldn't say that.

He's maybe in danger of slowing down. Age is a factor in most cases when it comes to MMA fighters, and although Penn is only 31 he did live a bit of a slack lifestyle for a while, didn't he?

I think the real test will be when he fights someone else. It could always just be that Edgar had his number. It happens.

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

i forgot about Rich Franklin as a possible opponent...i can see that happening.

as for BJ Penn, it's hard to say. I think the main problem is that there's that aura around him, not many fighters have it, but BJ Penn definately does, the commentary team constantly tout him as the 'great' BJ Penn, there's almost like this legendary resume imagined for him that doesn't really exist.

Is BJ Penn one of the best lightweight fighters ever? yes in a way, but i think the 'legendary' term is a bit premature. At one point, when BJ defeated Sherk i actually thought he'd never lose again, he looked a freakin' beast that night, even after the 2nd St. Pierre fight i got that feeling back again when he dismantled Florian and Sanchez, but these losses have definately harmed him.

BJ Penn's problem does seem to be heart, the guy has bags of courage (in that he's not a quitter and he'll fight anyone), he had all the technical ability in the world, but he has this problem of not being able to pull himself out of a rut when the going gets tough, i think that's an attribute that a 'legendary' fighter must possess and i don't think BJ has it.

The next year is going to be crucial to him if he wants to be labelled a legend, he needs to come back strong (and early indications seem to show he's going to try), and he needs to come back showing the fire he used to have.

• Paid Members

I don't think Penn's overrated but I just think Frankie being quicker than him and hard to control on the ground makes him a tough match up stylistically.

I do agree that a lot of it's mental with BJ though.He's in limbo at the minute,he's in a weird position where I think he'll beat pretty much everyone but Edgar.It's a similar situation Rich Franklin found himself in after the fights with Anderson,he's not likely to get another shot while Frankie's champ.

As far as Randy,I think Randy vs Rich Franklin makes the most sense.Both big names,both coming off wins but neither guy deserves the title shot just yet IMO.A win for either could put them in line or a win away.It would be a really interesting fight to watch too.

They can do Forrest vs Thiago Silva too which would be fun.

• Paid Members

Ken Shamrock's got another fight lined up...

he's fighting Johnathon Ivey at USA MMA on October 16th. Ivey's a journeyman who's lost to pretty much any decent fighter he's ever faced.

Finally Shamrock appears to be doing the Dan Severn type thing in fighting guys he can be competitive with and win, Shamrock's been punching above his weight for a long time. If he still wants to fight, fine...but at least make it worth your while.

This is better for Ken than fighting Rizzo or Tito or someone but still I think he should be fighting fellow old codgers like Severn, Frye or Abbott

Will generate more interest, make more money and wih all three I just mentioned have a intriging back story and unfinished business, having said that id rather he just hang them up all togeather as ive stated before if he wants money than there are plenty of ways in MMA to make money other than fighting that he can do, training schools, merchandise and commentary work (he has done that before)

• Paid Members

no big MMA this weekend other than tonight's Bellator, which made me decide to stick up stuff about next weekend's shows...outside of the big shows it's possibly the biggest MMA weekend of the year, 4 shows happening and i wanna see em all...thought i'd get this up early so we could talk about em:

Thursday 9th:

Taichi Palace Fighting 6 - High Stakes

high-stakes_medium.jpg

Doug Marshall vs. Kasey Uscola

Rob McCullough vs. Corey Hill

Anthony Ruiz vs. Leopoldo Serao

Micah Miller vs. Diego Saraiva

card is aired on GoFightLive ppv...never used it, but im tempted to try it for this.

Friday 10th:

MFC 26 - Retribution

mfc26poster.jpg

Antonio McKee vs. Luciano Azevedo

Tom Watson vs. Jesse Taylor

Solomon Hutcherson vs. David Heath

Dwayne Lewis vs. Mike Nickels

Ryan Ford vs. Douglas Lima

airs live on HDNet

Sh1ne Fight - Lightweight Grand Prix

shine4-poster.jpg

Charles Bennet, Carlo Prater, Connor Huen, Marcus Aurelio, James Warfield, Drew Fickett, Hector Munoz, Rich Crunkilton

Bennett vs Fickett is the only fight announced so far.

Airs on US PPV

Saturday 11th:

Shark Fights 13 - Jardine vs. Prangley

sharkfights13poster.jpg

Keith Jardine vs. Trevor Prangley

Houston Alexander vs. Sokoudjou

Paul Daley vs Jorge Masvidal

Joey Villasenor vs Drew McFedries

Brock Larson vs Tarec Saffiedine

Preliminary Card

Douglas Evans vs Ronnie Mann

Paul Bradley vs Johnny Reese

Aaron Rosa vs Devin Cole

Karen Darabedyan vs Marcus Hicks

Pete Spratt vs Eric Davila

Airs on US PPV....Prelims stream free on sherdog.

Great weekend! Shark Fights is one of the cards of the year in any promotion.

• Paid Members
MMA Hour w/ Paul Heyman

i plan on watching that when i have some time, Paul Heyman sitting down with Ariel Helwani to talk MMA...should be some good stuff in there about wrestling too, check it.

i just watched it...fucking great watch, seriously if you have 90mins to spare, watch it.

no big MMA this weekend other than tonight's Bellator, which made me decide to stick up stuff about next weekend's shows...outside of the big shows it's possibly the biggest MMA weekend of the year, 4 shows happening and i wanna see em all...thought i'd get this up early so we could talk about em:

Thursday 9th:

high-stakes_medium.jpg

card is aired on GoFightLive ppv...never used it, but im tempted to try it for this.

Friday 10th:

MFC 26 - Retribution

mfc26poster.jpg

Antonio McKee vs. Luciano Azevedo

Tom Watson vs. Jesse Taylor

Solomon Hutcherson vs. David Heath

Dwayne Lewis vs. Mike Nickels

Ryan Ford vs. Douglas Lima

airs live on HDNet

Sh1ne Fight - Lightweight Grand Prix

shine4-poster.jpg

Charles Bennet, Carlo Prater, Connor Huen, Marcus Aurelio, James Warfield, Drew Fickett, Hector Munoz, Rich Crunkilton

Bennett vs Fickett is the only fight announced so far.

Airs on US PPV

Saturday 11th:

Shark Fights 13 - Jardine vs. Prangley

sharkfights13poster.jpg

Keith Jardine vs. Trevor Prangley

Houston Alexander vs. Sokoudjou

Paul Daley vs Jorge Masvidal

Joey Villasenor vs Drew McFedries

Brock Larson vs Tarec Saffiedine

Preliminary Card

Douglas Evans vs Ronnie Mann

Paul Bradley vs Johnny Reese

Aaron Rosa vs Devin Cole

Karen Darabedyan vs Marcus Hicks

Pete Spratt vs Eric Davila

Airs on US PPV....Prelims stream free on sherdog.

Great weekend! Shark Fights is one of the cards of the year in any promotion.

Anybody going to be getting these on the old copied disc format?

• Paid Members
Ken Shamrock's got another fight lined up...

he's fighting Johnathon Ivey at USA MMA on October 16th. Ivey's a journeyman who's lost to pretty much any decent fighter he's ever faced.

Finally Shamrock appears to be doing the Dan Severn type thing in fighting guys he can be competitive with and win, Shamrock's been punching above his weight for a long time. If he still wants to fight, fine...but at least make it worth your while.

for anyone wondering if Ivey has done anything memorable in his career...he has:

ni6pi.gif

:thumbsup:

Thursday 9th:

high-stakes_medium.jpg

Does anyone know what the situation is with Corey Hill? After the hideous leg break back at the Fight for the Troops special, I was under the impression that the UFC was going to pay for his medical bills and keep him under contract. I am sure I have seen his name pop up on another minor show recently, was he quietly released by the UFC?

Archived