The MMA General News & Events Thread

David

• Replies 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Has he? Never knew that.Well he never had to worry about Pat Barry's ground game but Lister should be a great help to him for this camp.

I honestly can't see Mir getting Cro Cop to the ground though.As past it as he is I can't believe how many people are saying Cro Cop has no chance against Mir.

He's not a good style match for Mir at all IMO.He's slowed down considerably but his striking is still leagues ahead of Mir's.Mir's known for shitty cardio,Cro Cop can still be dangerous late in a fight.Pretty much every time Mir takes punishment he wilts under the pressure and turtles up waiting for the ref to step in.

And the main issue I think for this fight is that Cro Cop's sprawl is much better than Mir's takedowns.

If somehow the fight does go to the ground,Mir will have a big advantage but even then Cro Cop's only ever been submitted once and that was prime Big Nog.

Not the cakewalk for Mir it's being made out to be by the know-alls on Sherdog that's for sure.

• Paid Members

Has anyone heard this one before because I sure hadn't

From a column on BJ Penn by Dave Meltzer on the Yahoo site

In 2005, he fought Lyoto Machida, then a 220-pound heavyweight, in a Japanese freak-show match, and lost a competitive decision. When he returned to UFC in 2006, Dana White wanted him to fight at lightweight, his best weight, and become the dominant champion he was long expected to be. He had no interest, and instead clamored to get a fight with Andrei Arlovski, at the time the UFC heavyweight champion.

Jesus Christ...

• Paid Members

Yeah he's always had some fetish for fighting at weights that don't suit him but I'd never heard this specific one before.I can't even picture a fight between Penn and Arlovski.

If he does decide to have another pop at 170 I wouldn't mind Penn-Hughes 3.The first 2 were fun and they're tied at 1-1.They've not got much else going on,not many obvious opponents and neither guy's in the title hunt for the forseeable future (can't see Hughes getting another shot while GSP is champ).

Only other obvious option would be Penn-Gomi 2 at 155.

• Paid Members

Nice read.

I read recently that he wants to fight into his 40s.I can't see it myself,he has been slowing down for about 5 years now can't see him going another 10.

There's a place for Wand in the UFC though.He looked better than he has in some time against Bisping.He'll never be a contender again but he deserves to fight on the big stage,for now at least.If he gets to the stage Chuck's at where a fly could seemingly knock him out if it landed on his chin then he should deffo hang 'em up.

I think if the time comes where the UFC has to let him go as an active fighter,he'll call it a day.Can't see Wand wanting to fight anywhere else now.He'll probably just devote more time to his gym and his upcoming fighters then.

I hope he doesn't go on fighting too long anyway.

• Paid Members

thing is with BJ Penn, he seems intent on being looked at as the greatest fighter ever, that's what he says is his goal and he believes he can achieve that by fighting at different weights and beating anyone.

It sounds like a good plan but in practice it's aint worked out that way, i believe he's 2-4, outside of 155 Penn...there's no denying the guys courage, but i think he should just concentrate on 155.

How does everyone feel about Penn being dismissed as overrated now? it's all the talk on the big message boards, but you get no sense on them so i thought i'd throw it out here, does anyone believe that?

• Paid Members

another question to come out of 118...

What does Randy Couture do now?

i'm willing to think that Randy wants to get back in there before 2011, but the 205 division seems occupied at the moment, there aint many guys free to fight (unless of course fights coming up dont last long and guys end up un-injured)...Dana has said he will fight at 205 and it will be a top contender, which leads me to believe that he'll fight...

Thiago Silva. He's the only guy currently not lined up with a fight who i'd consider a top contender. I like the matchup, if Randy won they could easily bundle him in the for a title shot which has to be what the UFC have to be hoping for.

another guy who i'd like to see Randy figth is Stephen Bonnar. Bonnar might be further down in the pecking order, but that would be an absolute dogfight between two fan favorites, i don't think that it'll happen but i'd like to see it.

anyone else ive not thought of?

• Paid Members
another question to come out of 118...

What does Randy Couture do now?

i'm willing to think that Randy wants to get back in there before 2011, but the 205 division seems occupied at the moment, there aint many guys free to fight (unless of course fights coming up dont last long and guys end up un-injured)...Dana has said he will fight at 205 and it will be a top contender, which leads me to believe that he'll fight...

Thiago Silva. He's the only guy currently not lined up with a fight who i'd consider a top contender. I like the matchup, if Randy won they could easily bundle him in the for a title shot which has to be what the UFC have to be hoping for.

another guy who i'd like to see Randy figth is Stephen Bonnar. Bonnar might be further down in the pecking order, but that would be an absolute dogfight between two fan favorites, i don't think that it'll happen but i'd like to see it.

anyone else ive not thought of?

Rich Franklin when he recovers?

• Paid Members

^^ Cannot see how BJ can be called overrated. He's beaten too many top guys to be called that. It's just that Edgar has his number and has worked out a flawless plan to beat him. Maybe not the force he was, but overrated is a bit much I think.

On the subkect of Randy. I'd love to see Randy/Forrest. The rumoured Jones/Griffin fight seems to have been pulled so why not?

PUJI Capitol is conducting an internal review of Fighting and Entertainment Group's (FEG) assets and liabilities in advance of a push to attract investors to the struggling fight promotion.

"The actions they're taking are similar to an audit," FEG's U.S. representative, Mike Kogan, told MMAjunkie.com (UFC blog for UFC news, UFC rumors, fighter interviews and event previews/recaps | MMAjunkie.com) on Monday.

Kogan said the Japanese investment bank hopes to raise $230 million for FEG, which operates MMA's DREAM promotion and the K-1 kickboxing organization, over the next five years. But with the company's current financial condition, that timeline may need to be shortened.

More uncertainty arose this past week with reports that FEG had canceled DREAM.17, an event planned for Oct. 25 in South Korea.

Kogan, though, said that the event was taken off the table earlier this year when DREAM.14, originally scheduled for April 24 in Seoul, was scratched due to the absence of a television broadcast deal in the country.

"Basically, it's very simple; we don't have any Korean stars

Archived