Match Structures / In match story telling

Jason Mayhem

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but there was a similar, newer one like this which I couldn't find.

Anyway, I just re-watched Bret Hart vs. Mr. Perfect from Summerslam 91. I forgot just how good it is and what a compelling story they tell; two prime athletes, Bret wrestling the whole match like he's truly vying for the title and everything he does it to win it (the succession of big moves and nearfalls towards the end is especially good), Perfect beating Bret from pillar to post and trying to get into his head while doing it, the match nearly ending in tragedy several times, and an innovative and logical out-of-nowhere finish. Cracking match!

I mentioned this in Chat last night, but the Styles v Daniels match at Destination X told a really good story. They knew each other so well that for the first 20 minutes or so neither of them could actually hit one of their signature moves, as the other would spot it coming and avoid. It was a good match that built gradually into more and more spectacular sequences, with Daniels getting really frustrated but never actually going "heel".

They did really well I thought. Both better wrestlers than they were when they first fought in TNA years ago.

Archived