Upcoming DVD releases

AshC

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Normally you'd think they could get away with editing out any favourable commentary lines, then cutting away as soon as the final bell goes. However, I don't know how comfortable they'd be ending the match with the crossface.

I'd be very surprised if WWE were using a film intermediate or anything like telecine to create an effect on old videos. They'd more likely just slap a film look filter on stuff.

They do use pan and scan (well, tilt and scan) style cropping on old footage to make it look widescreen in the documentaries, but for the matches on the extras, I think they just put black borders on the sides.

I rewatched the Austin documentary recently, must have been a bit drunk when I watched it the first time to think there was any TK going on.

Does Triple H come across as having a Jesus complex as insinuated by his "Thy Kingdom Come" DVD coupled with his "King of Kings" moniker? Maybe he could get Motorhead to cover the Millenium Prayer for the final nail in the crucifix.

Just watched the 50th anniversary DVD. In the two hour documentary, there's 28 seconds on Steve Austin.

That's why I like everybody on good terms with the WWE, you tend to get a true reflection on what they mean to a company and more balanced films, books etc. Goldberg was one of the biggest stars on the last century and he is barely mentioned by the WWE. Batista was one of the biggest stars of the last decade: same thing. I remember when the WWE would pimp Snuka as their icon in the 90's when Hogan was off making the big bucks with Turner. The only time he's mentioned these days is when Mick Foley decides to repeat stories for the millionth time or his daughter hits a rubbish looking splash from the top rope. WWE really is a "what have you done for me lately" company, sadly. It's always been the case and likely always will be.

• 3 weeks later...

Coming soon - The Best of WCW PPV Matches...

Starrcade! Halloween Havoc! The Great American Bash! Road Wild! For the first time ever, collect all the greatest pay-per-view matches and moments from the rich history of World Championship Wrestling. During the 1990's, WCW showcased numerous legends of sports entertainment, producing an annual slate of wildly successful pay-per-view events.

From Ric Flair's championship clashes with the enigmatic Sting, to the nWo running roughshod over the promotion, early thrillers between legends Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio, and brawls amidst a sea of Harleys at Strugis, "The Place Where the Big Boys Play" brought the primetime audience to their feet. In this 3-disc DVD/2-disc blu-ray set, relive these historic years and celebrate WWE's greatest rival in sports entertainment.

I like the listing for the Best PPV Matches of 2013 - could have maybe used Henry/Cena - but this is the first year I can buy the Blu Ray and not feel I need to go back and buy the individual ppvs...

An Historic Year

Royal Rumble 27thJanuary 2013

WWE Championship Match

CM Punk vs. The Rock

Elimination Chamber 17thFebruary 2013

Six Man Tag Team Match

John Cena, Ryback, and Sheamus vs. The Shield

Straight Edge vs. The Streak

WrestleMania 7thApril 2013

Undertaker vs. CM Punk

WrestleMania 7thApril 2013

WWE Championship Match

The Rock vs. John Cena

RKO vs. WMD

Extreme Rules 19thMay 2013

Extreme Rules Match

Randy Orton vs. Big Show

Extreme Rules 19thMay 2013

Steel Cage Match

Triple H vs. Brock Lesnar

A Perfect Payback

Payback 16thJune 2013

Triple Threat Intercontinental Championship Match

Wade Barrett vs. The Miz vs. Curtis Axel

Payback 16thJune 2013

WWE Divas Championship Match

Kaitlyn vs. AJ Lee

Payback 16thJune 2013

Dolph Ziggler vs. Alberto Del Rio

Climbing the Ladder of Success

Money in the Bank 14thJuly 2013

World Heavyweight Championship Money in the Bank Ladder Match

Cody Rhodes vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Wade Barrett vs. Jack Swagger vs. Antonio Cesaro vs. Fandango vs. Damien Sandow

The Best vs. The Beast

SummerSlam 18thAugust 2013

No Disqualification Match

CM Punk vs. Brock Lesnar

SummerSlam 18thAugust 2013

WWE Championship Match with Special Guest Referee Triple H

John Cena vs. Daniel Bryan

The Drive to be Champion

Night of Champions 15thSeptember 2013

World Heavyweight Championship Match

Alberto Del Rio vs. Rob Van Dam

Night of Champions 15thSeptember 2013

Fatal 4-Way Match for WWE Divas Championship

AJ Lee vs. Natalya vs. Naomi vs. Brie Bella

Battleground 6thOctober 2013

Seth Rollins / Roman Reigns vs. Cody Rhodes / Goldust

Hell in a Cell 27thOctober 2013

Alberto Del Rio vs. John Cena

Hell in a Cell 27thOctober 2013

Steel Cage Match for WWE Championship with Special Guest Referee Shawn Michaels

Randy Orton vs. Daniel Bryan

Nothing Short of Incredible

Blu-Ray Exclusives Matches

Reel 1 of 1

Extreme Rules 19th May 2013

United States Championship Match

Kofi Kingston vs. Dean Ambrose

Payback 16th June 2013

Chris Jericho vs. CM Punk

Money in the Bank Kick-Off 14th July 2013

WWE Tag Team Championship Match

The Shield vs. The Usos

SummerSlam 18th August 2013

Alberto Del Rio vs. Christian

Hell in a Cell 27th October 2013

Triple Threat Match for WWE Tag Team Championship

Cody Rhodes / Goldust vs. The Usos vs. Seth Rollins / Roman Reigns

I can't tell whether that's just a bad set, or whether the PPVs have been so nondescript this year. Cena vs Bryan, Triple H vs Brock in the cage, and Ziggler vs Del Rio are the only ones I'd have as definites for a Best Of 2013 DVD. I suppose you have to put Undertaker's WrestleMania match on every year as well. Beyond that, though, it should be a better crop. I don't know if that's just the best of a bland lot.

Coming soon - The Best of WCW PPV Matches...

Starrcade! Halloween Havoc! The Great American Bash! Road Wild! For the first time ever, collect all the greatest pay-per-view matches and moments from the rich history of World Championship Wrestling. During the 1990's, WCW showcased numerous legends of sports entertainment, producing an annual slate of wildly successful pay-per-view events.

From Ric Flair's championship clashes with the enigmatic Sting, to the nWo running roughshod over the promotion, early thrillers between legends Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio, and brawls amidst a sea of Harleys at Strugis, "The Place Where the Big Boys Play" brought the primetime audience to their feet. In this 3-disc DVD/2-disc blu-ray set, relive these historic years and celebrate WWE's greatest rival in sports entertainment.

This will be interesting to see. Hopefully not many Starrcade matches as they already did the Starrcade dvd set.

• Paid Members

Odd one-disc set confirmed for April by wrestlingdvdnews.com:

"Music has been integral in WWE history, especially anthems for all the greatest WWE Superstars. Since Sgt. Slaughter first made his entrance to the Marine Corp hymn in the early 80′s music themes have become synonymous with the Superstars themselves. Just hearing the first few notes brings the crowd to their feet. They are the songs that let the WWE Universe know that business is about to pick up. Now, get behind the music and learn the inside story behind the timeless anthems of WWE and the superstars."

We

Odd one-disc set confirmed for April by wrestlingdvdnews.com:

"Music has been integral in WWE history, especially anthems for all the greatest WWE Superstars. Since Sgt. Slaughter first made his entrance to the Marine Corp hymn in the early 80′s music themes have become synonymous with the Superstars themselves. Just hearing the first few notes brings the crowd to their feet. They are the songs that let the WWE Universe know that business is about to pick up. Now, get behind the music and learn the inside story behind the timeless anthems of WWE and the superstars."

We

Archived