Upcoming DVD releases

AshC

I'd love a Best of Chris Jericho dvd. I know he has a 3 disc DVD out already but there's so many other brilliant matches which could be included. Plus it'd be nice to have given that he's my favourite of all time and all.

No other wrestlers library of matches suffers as bad as Jericho's when it comes to the exclusion of Benoit footage. So many blinders tucked away.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
I'd love a Best of Chris Jericho dvd. I know he has a 3 disc DVD out already but there's so many other brilliant matches which could be included. Plus it'd be nice to have given that he's my favourite of all time and all.

No other wrestlers library of matches suffers as bad as Jericho's when it comes to the exclusion of Benoit footage. So many blinders tucked away.

This is true. It's a damn shame that the ladder match at Royal Rumble 2001 in particular can't have more light cast on it. What an absolute belter that was.

Even if you exclude Benoit he's still had plenty of quality bouts against people such as Triple H, Kurt Angle, William Regal, Austin, The Rock, Christian, Michaels and so on and so forth. And that's just from his WWE stuff.

• Paid Members

I actually can't recall any really standout Jericho vs Angle matches. I don't think they had that many singles matches to be fair, but I was always underwhelmed by them and thought they didn't gel as well as you'd expect.

I really liked the Jericho vs Rey series in 2009 though. Especially the Great American Bash match.

• Paid Members

I love the Superstars DVD idea. Just checked Wikipedia which used to have a list of memorable angles from the show, but it's gone. It does note their were eight title changes on the show, so it would be cool to include those. You could also include a few matches where the jobber went on to be famous.

Great call on the WWF Superstars DVD. Down the line i'd also like a Prime Time Wrestling one. The format I remember is the round table hosted by Vince but there were some brilliant ones beforehand with Gorilla and Bobby etc.

Primetime would be ok but a lot of those matches were taken from other TV tapings or generally house shows such as MSG, Boston Gardens etc. After the Superstars of the 80's and 90's etc releases there's no reason why they couldn't do Matches of the 80's, 90's etc. Have them like the new ECW unreleased series where there's the potential to release various volumes too. I'd quite like to see them do a 'Year in review' series too.

• Paid Members
Yeah, i remember WWE including a really good Bret Hart/Bob Backlund match from '94 on the 'Greatest Finishers DVD', sure that was off Superstars.

The one which Bret won with a small package, and Backlund "snapped" thereafter? Yes, that was from the 30/07/94 Superstars, and was a very good match, much better than the Survivor Series match which was hamstrung by the choice of finish to tie in with the stipulation.

wand, for me the best Jericho vs Angle match was for the WCW title at Rebellion 2001. Everything just seemed to click for them.

Maybe the blurays are just not cost-effective enough? I personally don't see the point of bluray as a format (aside from the extras, obviously, but that's just a ploy to make you buy the bluray instead of the DVD, they're not an added feature of the format)). Is the jump in picture quality really that great? Particularly for archive matches not shot in high-def?

Im assuming they just taken a look at past sales figures and made a decision based on that. Survivor Series isn't a PPV draw like it used to be so im assuming that Home Video sales mirror that too. With regards to the others, The RAW set was going to a 10 disc affair which will have cost a bomb to manufacture on mass and would only appeal to hardcore collectors.

With regards to blu-ray as a format newer stuff looks fantastic, and archive footage is upscaled to a degree and looks fine depending on the era (90s footage looks better than 80s footage etc.) But it depends on the specific title I suppose. Take the recent Mid-South set, all of that is archive footage so the only stuff that will show HD picture quality is the talking heads. In Mid-Souths case, the blu-ray is purely to add on some exclusive content

• Awards Moderator

The Blu-rays were a tremendously difficult sell to WWE back at Silver Vision. We pushed extremely hard for WrestleMania XXIV and eventually released the first. You'll notice SV released more Blu-ray PPVs than the US, because the attach rate in UK & Europe was just so much higher.

Every single thing about the cost of producing a Blu-ray was phenomenally more expensive than DVD. The cost per title was well over six times the price.

While the cost has bound to have decreased, it's almost certainly seen a stiff levelling off in Blu-ray players being sold. I bet they can now predict Blu-ray sales of WWE titles to the nearest 50 with some accuracy.

I don't know how feasible it would be but I'd like to see a UK only release, sold through Freemantle which would be a nice way to introduce themselves after taking over from SV, all about British stars. Featuring Alfred Hayes, The Bulldogs, Finlay, Regal, Taylor etc. etc. Would be pretty coool.

I don't know how feasible it would be but I'd like to see a UK only release, sold through Freemantle which would be a nice way to introduce themselves after taking over from SV, all about British stars. Featuring Alfred Hayes, The Bulldogs, Finlay, Regal, Taylor etc. etc. Would be pretty coool.

I don't think that's a bad idea at all but I don't think it necessarily be a UK exclusive, though in likelihood it would probably only shift units over here. Similarly, one more likely to shift the kind of units WWE would want would a Hispanic themed compilation featuring guys like Rey, Eddie, Chavo, Tito Santana, the Colons etc.

Archived