What would have happened to WCW if Eric Bischoff would have bought it?

thejeffjarrettone

• Paid Members
Can anyone explain to me how long in advance the next Monday's episode had been referred to as the "season finale"? Did they do some kind of explanation at any point previous to Easy E's on-show call?

The show in which the WWF did the live telecast of Nitro was going to be the last show until the relaunch in May anyway. Cant recall when they made the announcement but the "Night of Champions" Nitro was going to be the final show until all the lads came back under new ownership. Been said a millions times in this thread, but its a fucking shame. There's no reason why WCW shouldnt be still going today. Especially after they reunited this pair ...

boogieknights.jpg

The potential is just blistering.

Just listened to an old Observer audio, where it states that WCW's PPV revenue was recieved on a two month backlog from the PPV company. So when WWF bought WCW, the money from the previous couple of months PPVs were given to the WWF upon the sale. So wierdly enough, WWF payed for WCW in March 2001 and then got the money back from PPV revenue lag that WCW earned before the sale in April 2001 from the January/February PPV revenue. Amazing when you think about it. WWF didnt even pay for the fucking thing.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After reading Bischoff's book. One thing I thought didn't add up was him blaming the Turner Exec's for stunting their creativity by making the show PG whilst WWE were going TV-14 and he couldn't match it. Then when he went to buy WCW, he wanted Nitro on the same channel. If they were messing him about so much, why did he want to stay there? They didn't want WCW there. Also, FX wanted to have Nitro on their channel but Bischoff would only give them Thunder, so they turned him down.

Other programs on the channels, sitcoms and the like were NOT subject to Standards and Practices, when Bischoff asked why Nitro and Thunder were the response he got from Time Warner brass responded that since WCW was an in-house AOL Time Warner product it was subject to more stringent rules.

So therefore once WCW was bought they could have the best of both worlds - escaped the stringent S&P of Time Warner and still broadcast on TNT/TBS

If i could just add something though and this is not a knock on anyone at the forum. I was a WCW fan, i remember the monday night wars, i remember when WWF overtook with the new attitude era and i remember thinking it was an uphill battle to just convince people to watch it.

A lot of my friends etc. were all WWF marks and had no interest in WCW, WCW was constantly knocked & criticised (sometimes fairly sometimes unfairly) by the internet wrestling community, but now over a decade later every forum is filled with topics just like this. The same people who knocked everything that wasn't WWF now with the benefit of hindset look back regretting they didnt watch WCW, wishing it was still around. The lesson is clear, appreciate what you've got today because you don't realise what you've got until its gone.

TNA has its faults, its moments that infuriate you, but it also has some damn entertaining storylines and a superb talent roster and more importantly unlike turner, the ownership and fully behind the wrestling product and are willing to listen to the fans. Knock it if you must but don't wish death on a promotion, i admit i'm biased against WWE, my old WCW ways immediately make me dislike the product but i never wish for them to go under.

• Paid Members
The same people who knocked everything that wasn't WWF now with the benefit of hindset look back regretting they didnt watch WCW, wishing it was still around. The lesson is clear, appreciate what you've got today because you don't realise what you've got until its gone.

How on Earth can you make a statement like this? Why have you decided they're the same people who decried WCW back in the day?

• Paid Members

To be fair WCW, even when it was making money, was a bit a dirty word for turner, ever since the Time Warner merger, let alone in 2001 with AOL situation. Even now, though faint traces of its legacy still exist within the company nobody talks about wcw. Ever. Its a bit of an unwritten rule.

• Paid Members
The same people who knocked everything that wasn't WWF now with the benefit of hindset look back regretting they didnt watch WCW, wishing it was still around. The lesson is clear, appreciate what you've got today because you don't realise what you've got until its gone.

How on Earth can you make a statement like this? Why have you decided they're the same people who decried WCW back in the day?

I think he's got a point to be honest. I've seen enough threads and posts on may forums which basically, would like to see TNA go out of business. My answer to that is that it would achieve nothing, as the most boring time I can remember is 2002 onwards when WWE had no viable alternative, and because of that, nothing to drive them on.

I think he's got a point to be honest. I've seen enough threads and posts on may forums which basically, would like to see TNA go out of business. My answer to that is that it would achieve nothing, as the most boring time I can remember is 2002 onwards when WWE had no viable alternative, and because of that, nothing to drive them on.

I'm just speaking from my own experiences but a lot of people that crapped all over WCW back in the day that i know, now look back with much nostalgia etc. its really baffling. And the same thing is occurring today, TNA is treated the same way WCW was at times. I guess it stems from the constant comparisons with WWE, don't compare, their different, some people prefer Pepsi over coke, leave it at that no need to deride TNA and wish they would go under because some people think its second rate in comparison to WWE.

I guarantee you that if TNA was to go out of business in a few years time there'll be a threads just like these reminicising about how great TNA was back in the day and how people missed it. Competition is good for all,this is not the 90's no need for wrestling wars anymore, time to stop finding fault , nit picking and comparing just enjoy the show!

I agree with all of that. I never watched WCW at the time, but used to read the reports and it made it sound shit. But watching it now, it's pretty awesome.

I was thinking just that, I cant speak for everyone, but I never got the impression from any comments in here that people used to be WCW haters back in the day, I think most people here watched WCW from way back when it was on ITV upto its last days.

Yes of course their are people like you mentioned, probably people that only saw its last few bad years, so they know no better.

I dont even like it when people compare TNA to WCW, lol the gulf in product quality is about as big as WWE is to TNA right now, thats when you really get people talking rubbish, the illusion that Sting, Flair and Hogan etc are in there makes them think its WCW 2.0, its not even close, I wish it was.

TNA wishes it was even the shitty version of WCW because that would be better than what it is now, thats the sad truth, WCW even in its last years could draw 2.0 and 3.0, TNA have never got a 2.0 and TNA is the new WCW really?

I dont want to TNA to go out of business, it has its moments, its just too much hit n miss for me, saying that I hardy watch wrestling full stop anymore, the industry has been on a decline since WCW went out of business which just says it all really.

I was thinking just that, I cant speak for everyone, but I never got the impression from any comments in here that people used to be WCW haters back in the day, I think most people here watched WCW from way back when it was on ITV upto its last days.

Yes of course their are people like you mentioned, probably people that only saw its last few bad years, so they know no better.

I dont even like it when people compare TNA to WCW, lol the gulf in product quality is about as big as WWE is to TNA right now, thats when you really get people talking rubbish, the illusion that Sting, Flair and Hogan etc are in there makes them think its WCW 2.0, its not even close, I wish it was.

TNA wishes it was even the shitty version of WCW because that would be better than what it is now, thats the sad truth, WCW even in its last years could draw 2.0 and 3.0, TNA have never got a 2.0 and TNA is the new WCW really?

I dont want to TNA to go out of business, it has its moments, its just too much hit n miss for me, saying that I hardy watch wrestling full stop anymore, the industry has been on a decline since WCW went out of business which just says it all really.

I did preface my post with "this is not a knock on anyone on the forum", i'm not insuating for a second that anyone posting in this thread was a WCW hater or anything like that, was just speaking of my own experiences with people in general.

Y'now i'd have to disagree with your statement regarding the huge gulf between TNA and WCW, to be honest with you with the exception of production value, i feel TNA's product is far and away better than the 2000/2001 Russo & then Fusient WCW programming. I think its unfair to compare simply via ratings, yes WCW was still drawing 2.0's in its dying days but hell that was 2001, wrestling was still hot, not today. WWE was doing at least high 4's and 5's back then, not today they aint!!

Wrestling ratings have dropped off a cliff, TNA would have drew 2's in 2001 without question.

I did preface my post with "this is not a knock on anyone on the forum", i'm not insuating for a second that anyone posting in this thread was a WCW hater or anything like that, was just speaking of my own experiences with people in general.

Y'now i'd have to disagree with your statement regarding the huge gulf between TNA and WCW, to be honest with you with the exception of production value, i feel TNA's product is far and away better than the 2000/2001 Russo & then Fusient WCW programming. I think its unfair to compare simply via ratings, yes WCW was still drawing 2.0's in its dying days but hell that was 2001, wrestling was still hot, not today. WWE was doing at least high 4's and 5's back then, not today they aint!!

Wrestling ratings have dropped off a cliff, TNA would have drew 2's in 2001 without question.

Its not just the gulf in production value, its the overall product, bigger stars more than 300 fans in the impact zone, a brand recognized world wide, and not just a threat to WWE but actualy took it over for awhile, none of this is TNA of today.

While wrestling ratings have dropped off the map, what makes you so sure TNA would get 2's in 2001, back in those hot years of 1999-2000, ECW got the same ratings TNA gets now, so why werent they getting 2's and 3's if wrestling was so hot back then, I can tell you're a big TNA fan but I think you're wrong comparing it to WCW, its not even close.

While catching WWE seems out of the question for TNA right now, they should be more concerned about keeping and solidifying their 2nd spot, because its not out of the question ROH could surpass them as the number 2 company one day, and there is that much rumoured new wrestling promotion in Florida that starts next year, if that turns out to be any good I can see alot of TNA talent jumping over there.

Its not just the gulf in production value, its the overall product, bigger stars more than 300 fans in the impact zone, a brand recognized world wide, and not just a threat to WWE but actualy took it over for awhile, none of this is TNA of today.

Again that's pre-1999 WCW, the business was hot (largely DUE to WCW) and i wouldn't argue for a minute that TNA comes close to that. But you had said that the dying days of WCW late 2000/2001 were better than TNA, i totally disagree with that, TNA has a better talent roster, better storylines and better in ring action than that time period.

While wrestling ratings have dropped off the map, what makes you so sure TNA would get 2's in 2001, back in those hot years of 1999-2000, ECW got the same ratings TNA gets now, so why werent they getting 2's and 3's if wrestling was so hot back then, I can tell you're a big TNA fan but I think you're wrong comparing it to WCW, its not even close.

But ECW was niche, and the THIRD run of the ladder at the time, TNA is mainstream and THEE premier alternative to WWE right now, just as WCW was back in 2000/2001. I am utterly confident that had TNA been in the same position, at the same time it would have done 2.0's in the ratings no problem.

While catching WWE seems out of the question for TNA right now, they should be more concerned about keeping and solidifying their 2nd spot, because its not out of the question ROH could surpass them as the number 2 company one day, and there is that much rumoured new wrestling promotion in Florida that starts next year, if that turns out to be any good I can see alot of TNA talent jumping over there.

Well Dixie has said many times, although the company have an overall goal of someday being the premier wrestling promotion in the world, they realise just how big a hurdle that is, and more to the point they ARE concentrating on solidifying the second spot and expanding on it. To be quite honest i don't really think TNA wants a war with WWE, i'm sure they realise its one their not going to realistically win anytime soon. Thats what i've been harping on in this post, stop comparing TNA to WWE, its NOT WWE and shouldn't be trying to be - its an ALTERNATIVE to WWE and thats all that anyone wants.

What do you think of the Wilpon group though? For me personally i'll take a wait and see approach, theres been a 101 wrestling companies come and go and make big statements like this only to never materialise or go up in smoke rather quickly (trust me i did business with MECW!), and if it is as rumoured the Brian Knobs/Jimmy Hart run XWF returning, i think TNA can sleep rather comfortably tbh.

• Paid Members
There's no reason why WCW shouldnt be still going today. Especially after they reunited this pair ...

boogieknights.jpg

The Boogie Knights w/Disco Duck were a license to print money!, can you imagine how great a cross-promotional feud would have been between them and Too Cool?, I still can't believe Disco never got a WWE run.

Archived