What would have happened to WCW if Eric Bischoff would have bought it?

thejeffjarrettone

Was never a big WCW fan (mostly as it was tucked away somewhere on the UK TV schedules) but it was weird watching that, and actually hearing Bischoff sound as though he was admitting defeat! One question though, did any former champions take Bischoff up on that offer?

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Was never a big WCW fan (mostly as it was tucked away somewhere on the UK TV schedules) but it was weird watching that, and actually hearing Bischoff sound as though he was admitting defeat! One question though, did any former champions take Bischoff up on that offer?

The Stinger came back from his shoulder surgery early to wrestle. He didnt have to, but he had to really didnt he? It was only fitting to have Sting vs Ric Flair as the last match. Nash said no, Goldberg said no, DDP turned up to meet Shane McMahon and shake his hand but didnt wrestle or go out to the live crowd, Hogan was suing WCW and probably wouldnt have anyway.

Nash's excuse was funny: "WWF owned WCW, but I was under a Turner deal, so I wasnt going to work for the opposition". Nash is class.

On the final Nitro is there any truth to the story that a bunch of mid carders were planning to jump Scott Steiner and give a real beating live on the air only to change their minds when they realised that it could cost them a future job with the WWE?

I have always wondered who was behind the idea if its true.

On the final Nitro is there any truth to the story that a bunch of mid carders were planning to jump Scott Steiner and give a real beating live on the air only to change their minds when they realised that it could cost them a future job with the WWE?

Depends who they were I suppose but I imagine Steiner would've handled himself, or at least took some eyes out on his way down

• Paid Members

Thats bollocks. Never heard that before. Most of the dressing room were pals with him. Even Lance Storm said he was a top bloke. The only people that hated Steiner was the likes of DDP and Terry Taylor who's lives Steiner made hell. Another thing, it makes no sense if WWE was taking WCW over or not. Who would hire a bunch of guys who'd take their personal business onscreen anyway?

I know Rick Steiner was shooting on the likes of Lash LeRoux, Konnan and Big Vito, but I still doubt they'd have dared do anything with either of them. It took 7 big men to tear Steiner off DDP. I doubt 3 Count, Kwee Wee and Chavo were going to do much.

Thats bollocks. Never heard that before. Most of the dressing room were pals with him. Even Lance Storm said he was a top bloke. The only people that hated Steiner was the likes of DDP and Terry Taylor who's lives Steiner made hell. Another thing, it makes no sense if WWE was taking WCW over or not. Who would hire a bunch of guys who'd take their personal business onscreen anyway?

I know Rick Steiner was shooting on the likes of Lash LeRoux, Konnan and Big Vito, but I still doubt they'd have dared do anything with either of them. It took 7 big men to tear Steiner off DDP. I doubt 3 Count, Kwee Wee and Chavo were going to do much.

It was just something I read a good few years back (actually it may have been Rick and not Scott) and it just stuck in my head.

I must of missed that epiosde with the eric clip, through my own stupidity, I did however catch the last Nitro, what a sad and strange day that was seeing RAW and Nitro mixed together that was awesome and sad at the same time.

I still remember some random Nitro where some fan attacked Scott Steiner, lol honestly what nutter attacks Scott Steiner, even if you were drunk, surely a beast like Steiner would frighten you, no do not attack, it will not end well for you.

Yeah its pretty sad talking and seeing what could of been with WCW, but atleast be happy you grew up in the time it was on and got to enjoy it, those days remind me of alot of things like how people used go to arcades(untill they vanished too) or round your mates house to play goldeneye 4player etc, fun days for sure, now its all online and very anti social.

Who knows where wrestling will go in the future, when Vince finally passes, his vision will be gone, who knows what Steph and TripleH will do with it, thats if their isnt a blood bath for control at titan towers ala some suits gain control of it , with all that money it makes, it might acually get worse and then we will be crying about WWE 2010 then too lol.

If the past teaches us anything, its enjoy it while its around, because it probably wont be back again.

What a depressing, brilliant thread. WCW in it's dying days was boss. The cruiserweight tag team division could have been superb, and the Magnificent Seven were an awesome super faction. I loved everything about it from about midway through 2000 on. The clean production that didn't go over the top, the theme tunes, the silly little PPV specific entrance videos, Misfits In Action, The Wall, Shawn Stasiaks seven hundred failed gimmicks, the triple cage, SID, Vampiro being really cool [he could have been a big deal], the underrated commentary team of Tony, Mark Madden and Scott Hudson, everything.

Mark Madden is one of my favourite commentators ever. The banter he created was brilliant, and the entire team took a very tongue in cheek, finger pointing approach to the product once is became clear that it was terminally ill.

After reading Bischoff's book. One thing I thought didn't add up was him blaming the Turner Exec's for stunting their creativity by making the show PG whilst WWE were going TV-14 and he couldn't match it. Then when he went to buy WCW, he wanted Nitro on the same channel. If they were messing him about so much, why did he want to stay there? They didn't want WCW there. Also, FX wanted to have Nitro on their channel but Bischoff would only give them Thunder, so they turned him down.

• Moderators
One thing I thought didn't add up was him blaming the Turner Exec's for stunting their creativity by making the show PG whilst WWE were going TV-14 and he couldn't match it. Then when he went to buy WCW, he wanted Nitro on the same channel. If they were messing him about so much, why did he want to stay there?

I think he wanted to keep it there because TNT is in a shitload of houses, and Standards and Practises couldn't fuck an externally owned WCW around as it did when it was a Turner company.

That actually made me feel a bit sad and reminded me that right at the end WCW started to pick up again

At this point, it was like putting TCP on a cancerous tumour. They were royally fucked and I think everyone knew they were sort of pissing into the wind. It was heartbreaking, because I'd stuck with WCW since the early 90s when it was on ITV (I actually have an ITV Produced WCW Annual somewhere in my Wrestling Vault. Hell, I even nagged my parents into getting Sky with a package that had Bravo when I found out that WCW was on!!

• Paid Members
At this point, it was like putting TCP on a cancerous tumour. They were royally fucked and I think everyone knew they were sort of pissing into the wind.

No they werent. WCW had a bigger global appeal, bigger stars, higher ratings and they still had better buyrates than TNA does at the moment. If they were still aloud to be on TNT, wrestling would have been far better off than what we eventually ended up with for years. And the quality of the shows were great as well. WCW would have been starting out fresh under new ownership. Anything could have happened. Unlike today, where TNA are desperate to bring in a following, WCW had to provide a product to convince the fans that had been driven away in the 18 months to return.

That actually made me feel a bit sad and reminded me that right at the end WCW started to pick up again

At this point, it was like putting TCP on a cancerous tumour. They were royally fucked and I think everyone knew they were sort of pissing into the wind. It was heartbreaking, because I'd stuck with WCW since the early 90s when it was on ITV (I actually have an ITV Produced WCW Annual somewhere in my Wrestling Vault. Hell, I even nagged my parents into getting Sky with a package that had Bravo when I found out that WCW was on!!

Yep it was rather like the end of a relationship were one party starts acting in ways and doing things they should have done a long time ago. Thing is at one point the company had the perfect balance of wrestling and story lines for me this was 1992 with The Dangerous Alliance being THE best heel stable save The Horseman.

Not a view a lot of people may agree with but I really wish there was a wrestling product that followed along the same lines as WCW between the late 80's and early to mid-ninties.

• Paid Members

Would of.

Wait....

Yeah, I loved WCW. I think I miss it even more since I read Death of WCW however long ago, but that might be mostly because I kinda dislike Bryan Alvaraz. Although, The Big Bang is a shit name for a pay-per-view. Regarding the clip posted of the penultimate Nitro; yeah, Bisch sounds down. It's sad. Can anyone explain to me how long in advance the next Monday's episode had been referred to as the "season finale"? Did they do some kind of explanation at any point previous to Easy E's on-show call? I can't recall. I missed loads of WCW at the time, sadly.

Archived