What would have happened to WCW if Eric Bischoff would have bought it?

thejeffjarrettone

• Paid Members

The problem with WCW back then was it had already scared off a chunk of its audience during 2000. It also had a stigma of being full of old people. The biggest problem was it was bleeding millions of dollars every month. Eric Bischoff had a lot of work to do.

I always wanted that Goldberg return where he destroys Scott Steiner, taking his title in the process.

This thread is making me sad. We were robbed!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With regard to the Old Guys, it was easily fixed: just go up to Nash, Hall, Hogan, Luger, basically all of Hogans pals (with the exception of Flair, he was a draw but I'd absolutely insist that he didn't wrestle) and say "Right, your times up, make friends with the door, don't let it hit you on the way out, I don't want wrinkly arse-prints on my door." WCW, as its been stated about a million times before, had a shitload of talent and could have done without the pensioners stinking it up.

just go up to Nash, Hall, Hogan, Luger, basically all of Hogans pals (with the exception of Flair, he was a draw but I'd absolutely insist that he didn't wrestle) and say "Right, your times up, make friends with the door, don't let it hit you on the way out, I don't want wrinkly arse-prints on my door."

Although, Nash and Hogan were still valuable in one way or another years after this point, Nash in TNA and Hogan in WWE for a while. If used correctly those two still had a lot to give. I'd also insist they wrestled a lot, lot less though.

• Paid Members
WCW, as its been stated about a million times before, had a shitload of talent and could have done without the pensioners stinking it up.

Who drew more money, sold more merchandise, wrestled in more main events, wrestled in more high profile federations and earned bigger salary's post 2001 than Hulk Hogan, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash in that WCW roster? WWE could not wait to hire all three of these when they became available. The initial success that the nWo had when they returned to the WWF was bigger than anything the likes of Shane Helms ever did. Apart from Goldberg, Booker T and Scott Steiner, who else did WCW's roster have that would have brought back their audience? Jarrett? Lance Storm? Kwee Wee? 2001 isnt 2010. Hall, Nash, Hogan and Flair were big names still with big value.

It's a crying shame for Wrestling it didn't come off. That's why reading stuff or posts to the effect that they want to see TNA go bankrup anny me so much, and are downright mental.

What I noticed when WCW went out of business is that RAW's ratings did not go up, those wCw fans just stopped watching wrestling altogether, I know this because thats what alot of my friends did, so yeah the name carried alot of weight back then.

I can vouch for that, i was a WCW lifer and hung around for a couple of years after hoping for a new number two promotion, MECW came and went as did the XWF and eventually TNA came along, i followed TNA on and off but to be honest i was done with wrestling for a good few years until the beginning of the year when Hogan and Bischoff regime came in.

Now i know many knock it, i know many think Bisch and Hogan are running them into the ground but to be honest i wouldn't be watching again if it wasn't for them, i came back sampled the product and fell in love with wrestling again. And many of my friends who were WCW marks aswell have started watching again, i don't remember so many people talking about TNA as i have of late, i'm still shocked when i talk to someone who's literally a casual fan and have started every conversation about wrestling i've had with them recalling a memory from the WWF Attitude era, and they now know who AJ is, they know who Samoa Joe is and they know the product. TNA is going places, give it time.

Well certainly TNA would appeal to old WCW fans, all the old favourites have been or are still there, so its easy to see why.

I also cameback to wrestling because I heard of Monday Night wars 2 and Hogan and Eric were going to TNA, I dont know what TNA fans are moaning about, thats two big draws right there, I some times get the impression that some smark TNA fans dont want the company to grow and want to keep it for themselves, you know its like when a rock band gets big and old fans say they now suck, sold out etc.

Pretty dumb if you ask me, of course I dont want to see Hogan doing the leg drop every week, but building up stuff around him and other old guys is the right thing to do like heyman says.

Im not sure because I dont live in america but it seems TNA is more popular over here, I think TNA should really try to get some kind of B/C-Show on Terrestrial tv much like WCW did in the past, not everyone has sky, as far as I know their isnt any american wrestling on normal tv right now? I can imagine if they did that then they would get some old WCW fans interested as they flick through the channels and see Hogan and co, along with new fans.

• Paid Members
Im not sure because I dont live in america but it seems TNA is more popular over here, I think TNA should really try to get some kind of B/C-Show on Terrestrial tv much like WCW did in the past, not everyone has sky, as far as I know their isnt any american wrestling on normal tv right now? I can imagine if they did that then they would get some old WCW fans interested as they flick through the channels and see Hogan and co, along with new fans.

It's a shame the Virgin 1 deal didn't continue to be honest.

• Paid Members

It's a shame the Virgin 1 deal didn't continue to be honest.

TNA's ratings for Virgin1 were shit though. If they were decent enough they wouldn't be on Extreme Sports.

WCW, as its been stated about a million times before, had a shitload of talent and could have done without the pensioners stinking it up.

Who drew more money, sold more merchandise, wrestled in more main events, wrestled in more high profile federations and earned bigger salary's post 2001 than Hulk Hogan, Scott Hall and Kevin Nash in that WCW roster? WWE could not wait to hire all three of these when they became available. The initial success that the nWo had when they returned to the WWF was bigger than anything the likes of Shane Helms ever did. Apart from Goldberg, Booker T and Scott Steiner, who else did WCW's roster have that would have brought back their audience? Jarrett? Lance Storm? Kwee Wee? 2001 isnt 2010. Hall, Nash, Hogan and Flair were big names still with big value.

And what *exactly* did Hall, Nash and Hogan do in WWE? Hogan had some pretty dire matches, Nash blew his knee and quit, Hall got fired for being Scott Hall. Besides, your arguement is circular: they weren't big stars, with the exception of Jarrett, because they weren't ALLOWED to be big stars.

• Paid Members

[

And what *exactly* did Hall, Nash and Hogan do in WWE?

Hogan, Hall and Nash drew a bigger buyrate in 2002 (one year after WCW went to shit) for their return to No Way Out during a period of downward business than WCW had drawn since 1997. That obviously showed they had name value in 2001. A nWo return to WCW (Hall and Hogan hadnt been seen for about a year by the time the Big Bang would happen) would have done far better business than Jeff Jarrett vs Dustin Rhodes.

Hogan had some pretty dire matches

So? When did having good matches equal drawing a buyrate?

Nash blew his knee and quit

He was also involved heavily in storylines and matches with Hulk Hogan, Steve Austin, The Rock, Shawn Michaels and Goldberg. Not exactly the name value of Reno was he?

Hall got fired for being Scott Hall.

I'm sure he was happy for the PPV paydays from No Way Out and WrestleMania, which he was a hefty part of. You dont come into the company and wrestle Steve Austin at WrestleMania (and be told you were going over until Austin spat his dummy out) without the promoter thinking you have the business worth to carry it.

Besides, your arguement is circular: they weren't big stars, with the exception of Jarrett, because they weren't ALLOWED to be big stars.

Seriously, I have no idea what this even means? Please explain it to me?

• Moderators
Besides, your arguement is circular: they weren't big stars, with the exception of Jarrett, because they weren't ALLOWED to be big stars.

Benoit's main event push in late '99 didn't happen then? I think the only people pushed harder than him at that point were Goldberg, Bret and Sid. I know he was getting the better of the outsiders at that point.

I think that's what you mean. I honestly don't know.

Seriously, I have no idea what this even means? Please explain it to me?

The midcarders, real talent etc weren't big stars because they weren't given pushes despite busting their humps and earning them. Consider: "Only an untrustworthy person would run for office. The fact that politicians are untrustworthy is proof of this."

As for the Benoit push, yes it did happen, and he did deserve it, but then he went all "FUCK YOU SULLIVAN!" and jumped to the WWF.

Bischoff also stated that since WCW's live events business was bleeding money, they would shut up shop with regards live event business at least for 18 months and focus solely on TV. In order to further cut costs, Bischoff met with reps at the Hardrock in Vegas and came to an agreement to build an arena above the Hardrock parking lot. His view was the Hardrock was cool and hip to co-brand with and that it would provide a solid, low cost location, and given that they were in Vegas there would be no issue with garnering an audience.

It's weird how much that paragraph reminded me of TNA. Having one location to do tv, not doing live events.

I think that if WCW had rebooted, it wouldnt have been a massive success at first. Of course there wouldn't have been any massive, national exposure. But given time and new stars, and it could have been quite successful.

I also disagree with people who want TNA to go bankrupt. WWE had it's most boring period during the time when WCW died and TNA became more recognised. I sure as hell don't want to go back to Triple H being champion for months on end and taking up tv time. In a couple of years when the majority of the main event scene retires, WWE is going to have some real problems

Been looking for this for ages. Eric Bischoff throws in the towel and admits WCW is fucked the week before the final Nitro. Jesus, Bischoff sounds depressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXCfTE21ivQ...ture=grec_index

Wow, I remember this! Bravo'r Glory days. God, i'm so bloody gutted reading this thread :(

That actually made me feel a bit sad and reminded me that right at the end WCW started to pick up again, I loved that set they used.

Archived