What would have happened to WCW if Eric Bischoff would have bought it?

thejeffjarrettone

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it would have started off at May's Big Bang PPV. Diamond Dallas Page could have won the World title, and the recently signed Rob Van Dam might have won the TV title. I don't know if it would have lasted without TNT/TBS though, so they might have sunk like WWA and XWF did.

I don't know if it would have lasted without TNT/TBS though, so they might have sunk like WWA and XWF did.

It may have eventually failed, but it surely would have had a better chance of a television deal than either the WWA or XWF, as it already had an actual known name and reputation in the industry, didn't it?

• Paid Members
I don't know if it would have lasted without TNT/TBS though

It didnt. Thats the sole reason Bischoff didnt buy it. He only wanted the company with the TNT/TBS deals.

WCW under the booking of Johnny Ace and Eric Bischoff was really well balanced and entertaining in the three months they were in charge. Bischoff sacked aload of useless midcard wrestlers and all the fashion models Russo brought in, and had agreed to sign up all the good ECW wrestlers like Super Crazy, Rob Van Dam and the like. WCW did the smart thing of taking all his stars off television (Goldberg, DDP, Kevin Nash etc.), so when they returned on the Big Bang show it'd have some impact. Wrestling in 2001 was different to today. I think it could have worked. Hogan and Hall were coming back as well, so that would have been cool to see. Sabu (after being under contract since February 2000) as finally legally aloud to debut as well.

I could almost cry when I think about WCW not being around anymore. I used to love it. Even when it got really really shit.

It may have eventually failed, but it surely would have had a better chance of a television deal than either the WWA or XWF, as it already had an actual known name and reputation in the industry, didn't it?

Bischoffs backers were no way going to buy a wrestling promoton along with big name talent like Bill Goldberg, Hulk Hogan and Diamond Dallas Page on the off chance someone would pick them up eventually. Without the television deal, WCW was dead.

I don't know if it would have lasted without TNT/TBS though, so they might have sunk like WWA and XWF did.

But it wouldn't have had Ted Turner's money that they were loosing every year, so even if they got a small TV deal and even if they were not on a Monday night, they could have gone bust anyway. If not they could have been instead of what we know as TNA, and could still be a small-ish company that is no threat to WWE.

According to "The Death Of WCW", Bischoff registered the web address "WCWExtreme.com" and planned to reboot the whole company, vacate all the titles and start again. So, as title thread, what do you think would have happened?

WCW did a reboot in 2000 didn't they? I don't remember that working out too well for them.

• Paid Members
But it wouldn't have had Ted Turner's money that they were loosing every year, so even if they got a small TV deal and even if they were not on a Monday night, they could have gone bust anyway. If not they could have been instead of what we know as TNA, and could still be a small-ish company that is no threat to WWE.

The money backers had agreed to sign all contracted WCW performers, including the likes of Goldberg who was on $stupid.3 million a year and cash cows like Hogan, so they must have been minted. Bischoff wasnt going to buy it and the financial backers werent going to piss away all that money if they thought it was going to be Orlando Studios and fanfests with Don West every six months. Bischoff wanted to get back into the game. And wrestling was huge back then. WCW were drawing bigger than TNA thats for sure.

WCW did a reboot in 2000 didn't they? I don't remember that working out too well for them

That wasnt a reboot. It was a different direction featuring a different writer. They never change downership, revamp the midcard and cruiserweights with ECW wrestlers and international talent like they planned on doing or bringing back a host of big names we hadnt seen in a while like they were going to do in 2001. All WCW's revamp was in 2000 was "Hogan isnt feuding with Sid now, he's feuding with Kidman".

• Paid Members
I could almost cry when I think about WCW not being around anymore. I used to love it. Even when it got really really shit.

I loved it too, like many people with basic cable it was the only wrestling I could see and I loved it right to the end, Buff Bagwell, Alex Wright, Vampiro and 3 Count will always have a place in my heart *sniff*

The money backers had agreed to sign all contracted WCW performers, including the likes of Goldberg who was on $stupid.3 million a year and cash cows like Hogan, so they must have been minted. Bischoff wasnt going to buy it and the financial backers werent going to piss away all that money if they thought it was going to be Orlando Studios and fanfests with Don West every six months. Bischoff wanted to get back into the game. And wrestling was huge back then. WCW were drawing bigger than TNA thats for sure.

WCW did a reboot in 2000 didn't they? I don't remember that working out too well for them

That wasnt a reboot. It was a different direction featuring a different writer. They change ownership, revamp the midcard and cruiserweights with ECW wrestlers and international talent like they planned on doing or bringing back a host of big names we hadnt seen in a while. All WCW's revamp was in 2000 was "Hogan isnt feuding with Sid now, he's feuding with Kidman".

Ah. I don't remember much of it but I thought they vacated all the titles, re-started pretty much all feuds and held tournaments on the following PPV. May not have been a company reboot but sure was an onscreen reboot.

If Bischoff managed to do a 'proper' one it probably wouldn't have amounted to anything much different, being that he and the guys with creative control were onscreen anyway.

• Paid Members
I think it would have started off at May's Big Bang PPV. Diamond Dallas Page could have won the World title, and the recently signed Rob Van Dam might have won the TV title. I don't know if it would have lasted without TNT/TBS though, so they might have sunk like WWA and XWF did.

It took me months to get people on Wikipedia to believe that the next PPV was going to be called that.

It took me months to get people on Wikipedia to believe that the next PPV was going to be called that.

I only knew becuase of a scan of the poster from the April (I think) 2001 WCW Magazine I have seen posted somewhere.

• Paid Members

DDP had been out for months you see. His return had to kick off with a big "BANG!"

Archived