2009 ranking: 27th

2008 ranking: 24th

2007 ranking: not listed

2006 ranking: not listed

2005 ranking: not listed

mikeywhiplash.jpg

Photo - Tony Knox

Who is he?

Full-time member of the touring Superslam/AllStar Wrestling promotion, Whiplash has been known to appear as both a babyface and as a heel, occasionally as the cocky "Chippendale" character. Whiplash is currently one half of the British Tag Team Champions with regular partner Robbie Dynamite and, individually, he holds the World Heavy-Middleweight belt. This year, UKFFers vote him higher than Dynamite, a swap from last year....

Whiplash's tag exploits with Dynamite has just been covered in the write-up of Dynamite at #36, so I won't go over them again..... On a nightly basis, Mikey has been either teaming with or facing Dynamite, James Mason, Rampage Brown, Little Legs, Goliath, Joe Legend, Ricky Steamboat Jr, Dave Taylor, Karl Krammer, Xtreme Dean, Brandon T, Tony Spitfire, Kid Cool, Wade Fitzgerald, Mark Haskins, Doug Williams, Oblivion, American Avalanche (former WCW star PN Newz), Zak Zodiac, former Toryumon X star Shadow Phoenix, El Ligero, ROH's El Generico and others..... He has also recently been doing double-duty on some shows, also appearing as comedic gimmick wrestler Dunk the Clown.....

What did the UKFF think?

"Another who has been great for years, but is only now getting properly noticed online. Not as good as Dynamite, but almost. Has more of a gimmick variation "Wildman Whiplash" "Chippendale Whiplash" etc. Still a shame the name stuck, as it does offer confusion and also just sounds like a ripoff"

"One of the best in the country"

"I find Mikey to be more charismatic that Robbie"

"How is he not in the WWE? Great look, big big guy, super smooth in the ring, loads of experience and can wind up a crowd with the best of them. He might not always have the best match on the card but as an overall package I think he offers more than most"

"Outstanding technical ability"

"With The Thrillers tag team in the dust for the time being and the Kartel at odds, he is half of the best tag team in IPW:UK"

"If you just see Whiplash working gay heel for All Star, then you'll probably think he's "only" the best worker on Brain Dixon's books. Given room to work as a babyface...he's a superstar. Amazing look and charisma as a face, along with technical work and selling that he clearly loves having the chance to bust out. Still one of the best heels in the country as well. It's worth paying a tenner and sitting through a Gangrel match to enjoy him bumping like a mad man and bringing the house down."

"Could probably slide into a WWE position tomorrow, due to the schedule he works. He is the very definition of a pro-wrestler, can work matches probably blindfolded knows how to adapt to different styles and make his opponents look good"

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe I was the one person who voted Dynamite at Number One.

There's been loads of guys I'm not familiar with so far, some look awful and based on their looks I can't believe for a second they can possibly deserve to be in this list.

Val Kabious on the other hand.....never heard of him, but he looks awesome. Hopefully will get the chance to see him sometime.

• Paid Members

If I'd have attended a single UK show this year before moving to the US, I think I'd have put these guys right up top - totally won me over the first time I ever saw them in IPW, and think they totally vindicate the All Star way of working, as they have more layers of polish on them than any other guys working in the UK right now.

• Paid Members

No. 32 - Derice Coffie / D-Rok

Score: 109 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2010 votes: 0

2009 ranking: 31st

2008 ranking: not listed

derice.jpg

Photo - Tony Knox

Who is he?

Appearing as either lovable Jamaican bobsledder Derice Coffie or as violent street thug D-Rok, the man behind the gimmicks makes his 2nd UKFF UK50 appearance, retaining virtually the same ranking as he did last year on the strength of his appearances in 1PW, IPW:UK, FWA, DWA, AWW, TXW and others.....

Making frequent appearances for IPW:UK on their touring shows (such as holiday camps, etc), D-Rok was initially one half one the Trailer Park Boys with T-Bone. On such events, he faced the likes of Zulu Prince, Andy Simmonz and Martin Stone, before bringing the Derice Coffie character to the promotion, signalling the end of the Trailer Park Boys. On the February hardcore show at the Tap n' Tin in Chatham, Derice lost to Kurrupt in a comedy match, before returning to the holiday circuit and mixing it up with Joel Redman, Iestyn Rees and others this summer.....

In 1PW, D-Rok was a member of the Prophets of Liberty, and appeared in the tag team Survival of the Sickest insanity at the promotion's "4th Anniversary Show" in November. From there, they beat the top-line babyface trio of Martin Stone, Terry Frazier and Darren Burridge in Nottinghamshire in February, then returned for 1PW's last ever weekend, first falling to Keith Myatt and Ruffneck in a tag bout in Ellesmere Port, then coming out on the winning side of the 8-man tag team brawl against Ruffneck, Myatt, Mad Man Manson and his old buddy T-Bone in Liverpool..... In FWA, Derice recorded losses to El Ligero and "Rockstar" Spud, and also made regular appearances for Birmingham's AWW and Devon's DWA.....

In a bizarre moment on the January Triple-X Wrestling show in Coventry, "That 70s" Andy Shoes son/tag team partner CK Light (who now changes appearance each time out, as Shoes' constant time-travelling corrupts the timeline) looked very, very much like Ashton Smith/Derice Coffie/D-Rok.....

What did the UKFF think?

"He's the man to step into the spot left by Bubblegum"

"Gets better in the ring with every showing and will be a major player in years to come"

"Probably will be the person who fills the gap left by Bubblegum, this guy has great facials and always involves the crowd on everything"

"Very talented and funny as a face, and an excellent heel too"

"He is head and shoulders above any other goodie in the whole country for the sympathy he can get. Is the man to step into Bubblegum's shoes"

"Great charisma and connection with the audience, even better as a heel"

"This guy could be the UK version of the Rock he just drips charisma and could easily fill the void that Bubblegum has left"

Edited by Big Benny HG

• Paid Members

No. 31 - T-Bone

Score: 109 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2010 votes: 1

2009 ranking: not listed

tbone.jpg

Photo - Tony Knox

Who is he?

The last of the UKFF UK50 debutantes in this year's list is, obviously, also the highest ranked. Finishing on exactly the same score as his buddy Derice Coffie, T-Bone earns the higher ranking due to gaining more 1st place rankings (1) than Coffie (0). The "King of the Caravans" has popped up all over the country in the last 12 months, working everything from major shows to holiday camps, often also delivering the ring to the show. As such, T-Bone has been very busy indeed, but has justified his position on the cards through his strong in-ring performances.....

For IPW:UK, T-Bone was previously one of the Trailer Park Boys with D-Rok, but has mainly this year featured as a singles wrestler. On the promotion's touring shows (seaside towns, holiday camps, etc), T-Bone has tangled with Andy Simmonz, Zulu Prince, Danny Garnell and Dave Mastiff, and was even granted a pinfall win over one of the promotion's top singles stars, Terry Frazier, in Bognor Regis last November..... On the series of shows in Swanley, Kent, TB had a really strong 25 minute showing in the Christmas Rumble before being eliminated by Danny Garnell, then returned in April to team with Paul Robinson, Marty Scurll and PJ Jones to beat D-Rok, Snare and the Bhangra Knights in an 8-man tag..... T-Bone has also been a regular for the promotion's adult/hardcore shows at Chatham's Tap n' Tin Club. In July, he lost to Martin Stone and followed up in September by taking part in the Hardcore Lottery Tournament, where he was knocked out in the first round by Jon Ryan in a Tables Match. He overcame Kurrupt in a decent match at "W-R-A-S-S-L-I-N" in November, but lost to Danny Garnell there in February in order to establish "The Invader" as a strong opponent for Martin Stone.....

In 1PW, T-Bone lost singles matches to Dave Mastiff and Val Kabious, then ended up on the losing team in the 8-man tag against the Prophets of Liberty on 1PW's last ever show, in Liverpool in May..... T-Bone has also appeared for AWW, pureCATCH, NBW, SSW and many, many more, and even toured Europe with the ex-WWE superstar-laden NWE.....

What did the UKFF think?

"Possibly the most improved in the country and is as deserving as anyone of being on the list"

"Another big star this year, and a great crowd pleaser"

"Everything about him has improved this year"

"Great look, has the ability to go far"

"Most improved in the whole UK"

"Awesome tattoos!"

"Great look, looks like somebody not to mess with. A great up and comer"

"This guy has to be the most improved in the whole of the UK, going from shitarse shows to touring Europe with NWE. He certainly has gone far and I really believe he has all the ability to go right to the top"

Edited by Big Benny HG

• Paid Members

Whiplash's facials and crowd interaction at the IPW 6th Anniversary Show in their match against Kincaid & Moss were simply outstanding.

Both very well deserved spots on the list.

An amazing actor

in reference to Nathan Cruz.

Nathan actually has acting credentials. He achieved qualifications in the subject at Hull College, a place where I am currently doing an acting degree myself. Several of my mates have worked with Nathan on numerous plays and performances in the past and all, aside from one who Nathan apparently mercilessly ripped the piss out of, thought he was a talented guy.

I think wrestlers could really benefit from taking acting classes or having an acting background as it will really help in the performance aspect of the business.

Glad to see Nathan there. He is doing Hull very proud!

• Paid Members
An amazing actor

in reference to Nathan Cruz.

Nathan actually has acting credentials. He achieved qualifications in the subject at Hull College, a place where I am currently doing an acting degree myself. Several of my mates have worked with Nathan on numerous plays and performances in the past and all, aside from one who Nathan apparently mercilessly ripped the piss out of, thought he was a talented guy.

I think wrestlers could really benefit from taking acting classes or having an acting background as it will really help in the performance aspect of the business.

Glad to see Nathan there. He is doing Hull very proud!

Christopher Daniels did just that, after getting into the business he took acting classes to help him develop his facials and selling.

He probably should have asked for his money back.

Keeping on topic, I've only seen the smallest amount of T-Bone wrestling on tape, so can't really comment. Very good look, though. Once again, I'd love to hear who voted him number 1.

Great to see Derice keep his spot, he really is a talented guy. Never seen him do heel (well, not for years since he was starting out, anyway) and I really can't imagine it.

• Paid Members

No. 30 - Sha Samuels

Score: 120 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2010 votes: 1

2009 ranking: 35th

2008 ranking: 37th

2007 ranking: 42nd

2006 ranking: 20th

shams.jpg

Photo - Tony Knox

Who is he?

Sha Samuels is best known for being one half of one of the UK's most established, well-known and successful tag acts, The Kartel. Over the last 12 months, he has appeared most notably in IPW:UK, where the culmination of a gripping, slow-burn 2-year storyline saw him turn on long-time tag team partner Terry Frazier, setting up a feud UK fans have been wondering about for years. In 2010, Sha achieves his highest UKFF UK50 ranking since 2006.....

In the summer of 2009, IPW:UK fans were quietly wondering what woud happen if The Kartel were to split. The promotion had been dropping hints and seeds over the past year, as Terry Frazier had achieved singles success with the British National Championship Tournament, the All England Title and becoming a top contender to the IPW:UK title, and Sha was left on the sidelines. With The Kartel no longer Terry's top priority, fans wondered if Sha was jealous of his partner's achievements, and subtle little hints of such had been dropped in for months..... At "Summer Sizzler 2009" in Sittingbourne, Sha was again sat watching in the crowd as Terry battled Leroy Kincaide in the main event for a title shot at the Anniversary Show. The announcer interviewed Sha, asking what he felt about Terry's success and the rumours of his jealously, and Sha was quick to confirm he was 100% committed to The Kartel and was 100% behind his partner that evening..... After Terry lost his title opportunity and his All England belt to Kincaide, Samuels and Frazier reunited for a tag team dream match against Robbie Dynamite and Mikey Whiplash at the "5th Anniversary Show" in September. A miscue between the Kartel, seemingly out of practice as a team, led straight to "The AllStars" picking up the win in a fantastic match. A few words were exchanged, before the pair put it behind them and returned later on to save their mate in The Firm, Martin Stone, from a beating at the hands of Whiplash, Dynamite and debuting Danny Garnell. This set up a 6-man tag team elimination bout at the next Sittingbourne show, "Brawl at the Hall", in November. Sha failed to keep his cool and was caught using a steel chair for the disqualification, and was the only one eliminated on his team that night when as Stone and Frazier went on to win. Hot head Samuels was a weak link in the team, it would suggest. Sha returned at the close of the match for a beer bash celebration with his buddies, only for more dissention as he took exception to being accidentally splashed in the eyes with beer. Again, a few words, and things were patched up.....

While this was going on, trouble had also been seen for the team when Sha's inability to control his temper had seenTerry eliminated from the FWA's World Heavyweight Title Tournament in August after he'd blasted Frazier's opponent, Joel Redman, with a chair..... Next up, Terry faced Whiplash at IPW:UK "No Escape" in February, but Sha was noticable by his absence and support, more so when it was the assist from Whiplash's partner Dynamite which caused Frazier to lose..... This set up a tag rematch between The Kartel and The Allstars for the "Sittingbourne Spectacular 2010" in April, where Sha's frustrations saw him walk out and leave Frazier at the mercy of Whiplash and Dynamite. After the loss, Samuels returned, again with a steel chair, to run off the Allstars, seemingly saving his partner. Instead, he officially brought the long-running team to an end when he cracked Terry with the seat.....

Samuels and Frazier were therefore matched up against each other at the appropriately-titled "Unfinished Business 2010" in June. A ridiculously heated, wild brawl around the entire ringside area failed to fall under the referee's control, causing the bout to be thrown out. They were rematched in August at the "6th Anniversary Show", where a meaner, colder, more calculating and vicious Sha Samuels defeated his former partner in a No-DQ bout by referee stoppage when he choked out Terry with a metal riot baton. The story clearly has plenty of pages left unread..... Sha's issue does not just appear to be with Terry, however, since he ran in and attacked his former stablemate in The Firm, Martin Stone, later that same night after "The Guv'nor" had just defeated Danny Garnell in a steel cage match. With Sha now established as the top heel in the entire promotions, Sha vs. Stone appears to be a headline bout for one of the final major IPW:UK shows of 2010.....

What did the UKFF think?

"A great mover in the ring, can tell a story brilliantly, and excellent promo skills"

"His feud with Terry Frazier in IPW:UK has been well worked. Has a great intensity about him and can work as heel or face"

"Is no-one else happy about his current IPW:UK situation?"

"Has a natural charisma and very good in the ring. Plus the best theme tune around in the FWA: 'Sha's Life'!"

"I really think Sha has big time potential as a bad ass, mean-looking heel. He just has that look to him"

"Best heel in the country by a mile, split angle with Frazier in IPW:UK was perfect"

"My favourite baddie ever"

"One scary, scary man. Seriously - scary heel. Probably made all the more unsettling by how naturally loveable he is as a face. Probably lives in Terry Frasier's shadow in a lot of people's minds, which is a damn shame - has incredible selling and comebacks as a face and makes brawls feel as real as anyone in the country. Brilliant talker and just bleeds fire and passion when he's booked in heated feuds, which is thankfully a lot"

Some well earned places.

T-Bone crops up all over the place, partly because it is his ring that a lot of the wrestling promotions use, but he certainly doesn't just use this to wangle himself a spot on the card and looks better every time I see him.

Edited by Tim R-T-C

"Deserves it for the clothesline that turned a Dunne Brother inside out at AMP at the start of the year"

http://www.youtube.com/user/PeteDunneUK?fe...u/1/uMONvgbEXMQ

You mean this one? :p

Oh, and a sneaky little plug that you might get to see Renwick take off Pete Dunne's head all over again on September 5th...

Edited by Oblong

• Paid Members

No. 29 - BT Gunn

Score: 122 points

Total 1st place rankings in 2010 votes: 3

2009 ranking: 30th

btgunn.jpg

Photo - David J Wilson

Who is he?

Known as the "Scottish Enigma", BT Gunn appears for virtually every promotion north of the border, and reigned as the NWA Scottish Heavyweight Champion during the 2009 UKFF UK50 period, and made his first ever appearance in these rankings. He had lost his belt to Lionheart back in May 2009, but is now considered one of the very top stars in Scottish wrestling. In 2010, he's had a WWE Tryout, an invitation back, and makes a single place increase in the UKFF UK50 rankings.....

In SWA in the summer of 2009, BT Gunn was in the middle of a feud with former friend and tag team partner Micken. Gunn beat his old pal in a Kendo Stock match at After Hours in June 2009, and the pair were rematched for the 3rd annual "The Gathering" supershow in Kelvin Hall that September. There, in a hard-hitting and brutal contest, Micken got his revenge and, as per the stipulation of the bout, won control of BT's SWA contract..... At Clydebank in October for "Aftermath", Micken revealed he wanted to use his control to force a reluctant Gunn into reforming their team and going after the SWA Tag Team Titles. Babyface new 50% owner of SWA Peter Murphy then announced that if Micken was caught cheating in any of their tag bouts, Gunn regains the power over his contract...... With Micken disappearing and the storyline seemingful dropped, the SWA's 2010 "Rebirth" in Uddingston in March brought the start of the 16-man tournament to crown a new NWA British Heavyweight Champion. Gunn had chosen to side with Murphy in the ownership power struggle with heel Eric Canyon around which SWA shows were based, and Gunn was matched with well-travelled and Canyon-aligned "Bad Boy" Liam Thomson in Round One of the tourney. Gunn defeated him to move on through to the quarter finals. That same night, Cumbrian powerhouse Johnny Moss advanced past Wolfgang, setting himself up as BT's 2nd round opponent..... Gunn lost to Falcon in somewhat of a comedy match at "Home Front" in April, but was then forced by Canyon to put his British Title Tournament spot on the line at "Battlelines" the following month against another one of his associates, Wolfgang. Gunn scored the win to secure his quarter-final spot..... The next big show was the annual "Battlezone" rumble event, where Canyon signed Gunn to fight a mystery opponent. On the night, it was revealed to be the returning Micken, resurrecting their forgotten storyline. BT beat Micken in their single match, and then came into the main event 30-man rumble as one of the favourites. Eliminating 4 rivals and lasting to the near-end, Gunn was eventually tossed by Red Lightning..... Gunn's QFinal bout with Moss was supposed to take place on the "After Hours" nightclub sho in Glasgow this June, but car trouble prevented Johnny from making the date. Instead, Gunn faced and defeated Jack Jesster in a main event Kendo Stick match, and the tournament bout will instead take place at a later time.....

Over in BCW, Gunn lost to England's Martin Stone at the annual "No Blood,No Sympathy" spectacular in December. The very next night, in perhaps the biggest bout of his career to date, BT was defeated by former WWE Superstar Paul London in East Kilbride..... In February in Ayr, Gunn first beat "The Juice" CJ Banks, and then ran out later on to save a bunch of trainees from a humiliating beatin at the hands of BCW Openweight Champion Kid Fite. A massive brawl between the pair errupted..... On the next show, back in East Kilbride, rising stars BT and Noam Dar stole the show. After exchanging victories with Liam Thomson over BCW's spring schedule, BT finally got his match with Fite for the Openweight belt in Kilmarnock. Contested as a ladder match in the main event of the show, Gunn and Fite fought with tables, chairs and indeded the steps, putting on a show which ended with Gunn grabbing the gold to become the new champion..... Since then, Gunn has recorded a defence over Germany's Bad Bones to remain champion.....

Elsewhere, Gunn again participated in PBW's annual King of Cruisers match at their showcase "Maximum Impact" event, and tangled with Darkside, Thomson, Joey Hayes, TJ Rage, Logan Storm, Moss and Carnage in subsequent bouts in the promotion. In ICW, Gunn won a 4-way elimination bout over Moss, Thomson and Wolfgang to add the ICW Championship to his belt collection.....

What did the UKFF think?

"The master of the gimmick match. Ladder matches in SWA and BCW as well as kendo stick matches etc. this guy is going places! Great look to boot. Current champ in ICW, SSW and BCW, and more will be coming. Match with Micken in SWA's Gathering last year was great, considering Micken is awful"

"Had a feud with Micken and STILL had no bad matches in the year"

"Probably the most over face in Scotland. Crowd-pleasing offence and a real sense of how to structure a match, rather than movemovemove"

"He's had an amazing year, a lot of massive matches. No wonder WWE are looking at him"

"Went toe to toe with Kevin Thorn and had a good match, not what I expected"

"Over everywhere he goes. Just amazing"

"For me, he's VASTLY over-rated. Average wrestler who performs as a poor man's Jeff Hardy/CM Punk"

"Has gone from strength to strength this year, and has matured to being a main attraction on every show he's on"

"BT Gunn has definitely become a phenomenon in Scotland. Once regarded as "just" a spot worker, Gunn has gone on to become so much more. His match with Martin Stone in BCW in December was amazing. Almost pivotal. He took Openweight gold in BCW, adding to his already impressive resume. I could easily see him take the PBW and British title's this or the start of next year"

"Well deserved ICW title win"

"There hasn't been anyone like him in Scotland in the last year and a half. So many matches which hit the "chills up the spine" levels of good"