The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

thanks for the link, i'll check that out.

and as for The Voice vs. Mayhem program, i enjoyed it but Mayhem is fucking annoying. When he talks normally he's alright but his ott routine's just seem so forced. Still i enjoy that series, i hope they keep doing them.

No problem, There is a Tito vs The Voice out in this weekend here is a preview

http://insider.mmaweekly.com/tito-ortiz/th...lks-lee-murray/

Mayhem can be overbearing the reason I think comes across as forced is beacuse when he talks normally there is a massive difference to when he goes OTT, in other words its easy to tell he plays up to his chracter for the camera

Nick Diaz his rival seems to be the angry and antoganistic 24/7 there is no character there, im a fan of both personally and they reallly coulndt me more different which always makes for good feuds, see Mir vs Lesnar and Shamrock vs Ortiz

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strikeforce may not be featured in the MMA playground game yet, but we can still make predictions, can't we?

I'm going with the following;

Lawal vs Cavalcante : Lawal via unanimous decision

Jacare vs Kennedy : Jacare via sub in round 2

Noons vs Gurgel : Noons via unanimous decision

Lashley vs Griggs : Lashley via TKO in round 1

• Paid Members

Just saw on MMAJunkie that Fedor is considering a Dec 4th fight with Antonio 'Bigfoot' Silva.It's not a lock but that's a fight that's being talked about currently by the looks of it.Guess they'll go with an Overeem-Werdum title fight if this goes ahead.With the winners facing off next year.

Interesting they've scheduled a Strikeforce card for the same day as the next Ultimate Fighter finale.

• Paid Members

Strikeforce weigh ins highlights

WTF was going on with Galvao and that ring girl? haha

491180492064ff1ba5b8.jpg

And did anyone else notice the size difference between Jacare and Kennedy? Didn't think it'd be that much of a difference but Jacare looked massive next to him.Gonna be a great fight though,I can see Kennedy doing well but Jacare taking a decision win or possibly catching him in a submission late on.

The only thing that made me hesitate on picking Jacare is his lack of a beard.

The dude has looked a bit suspect when taking serious shots, and has two losses that both came from KO's.

Still, i'd say he was the favourite to win the fight.

• Paid Members

“KING MO” LAWAL:

“Feijao has been around for a while, he’s a tough fighter. He’s experienced and I’m still young in the game. He’s a seasoned vet who is tough and hungry. That’s why I’m the underdog, that’s why I’m not going to take him lightly.

“Champions always have something to prove. I think anyone who steps in the cage has something to prove. I think in MMA, everyone is an underdog because you have to win.

“Feijao brings it – he’s got a hard hand. I know Brazilians come to fight.

“I respect Feijao. I have no problem with him. We’ll handle everything in the ring on Saturday. We’ll do that and have fun.”

RAFAEL “FEIJAO” CAVALCANTE,

“I’ve trained so hard. I saw Mo’s last fight and I know he’s good at everything, well rounded. I knew I had to train for everything for Mo.

“I think there will be a lot of surprises in this fight. I think Mo has a lot of things to show on Saturday, but so do I.

“I’m trained in Jiu-Jitsu. A lot of people think I’m a striker, but I just haven’t had a chance to show (my Jiu-Jitsu skills) yet.

“I’m comfortable in both: standing up or on the ground. I’ve stood up a lot with my opponents, but I just try to do what’s best for me in there. I just try to win the fight.”

TIM KENNEDY

“I’ve brought in some of the best guys I could get my hands on in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. My fight camp in the last few months has been getting ready for Jacare, who’s one of the best grapples in MMA history. I’ve done nothing but prepare for Jacare and this fight.

“It’s been 10 months since I’ve been fighting full time and it’s been awesome. I’m stronger and faster than I’ve ever been. I train three times a day.

“He’s a hard guy to wear down. He’s an athletic specimen. I’m definitely going to bring the fight to him the whole time. I hope he gets tired – that would be cool.

“I don’t want to dilute the value of the STRIKEFORCE belt. I’d love to fight him (Jason “Mayhem” Miller) if I win the title, but it’s not about me. It’s about the STRIKEFORCE belt and the honor that comes with it.”

“JACARE” SOUZA,

“I’ve been training very hard and I’m prepared for this fight. Tim Kennedy is a great fighter. I don’t know if I’ll win by submission or knockout, but I’ve been training very hard.

“He is a great wrestler, great ground and pound and a strong opponent.

“The belt deserves a good fight, a battle. I know Tim and I are going to fight hard for that title.

“I put a lot of hard training in this. I’ve just been getting ready.”

K.J. NOONS

“Fighting Jorge on Saturday is my No. 1 priority. He’s a tough opponent and I’m not looking past him. There are a lot of interesting fights to be made in the lightweight division, but I’m not looking past Jorge.

“My diet for this fight is better and I’m just a better all around fighter. Jorge is a Brazilian Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu, so I’ve been working a lot harder on my Jiu-Jitsu and my wrestling. I don’t think it’s a weakness of mine.

“I’m finally the whole package – it’s exciting. I’ve pulled it all together and Jorge is my main focus.

“I’m ready. When a lot of people tell me I can’t do something it makes me want to do it even more. At the end of the day, I’m a fighter and that’s what makes this fight so interesting. I love fighting.

“I thrive on having people tell me I can’t do something. My goal is fighting.

“Nick (Diaz) is an interesting fight. I walk around at 185 (pounds), so I could make it. It’s a science. I’m comfortable with my weight.

“Living here and playing football in high school, that’s everything here. You can get away with everything if you play football in Texas. But seriously, fans in Houston are great.”

JORGE GURGEL

“I’m just so glad I don’t have to bring my Nike’s to chase someone around the cage to fight. I know KJ will bring it and not back down.

“I just like to fight real fighters. He comes from a real fighting family. He’s been working on his ground game, so I’m definitely fighting the No. 1 contender. I’m fighting No. 1, a former champ, so I couldn’t ask for more. I’m in a great position.

“I haven’t been happy with my performance in a long time. I’ve been working hard, so hopefully I’ll be happy with Saturday night.

“Fighting is a way to express yourself. I don’t fight to please the fans; I don’t fight for the submissions – I fight to fight and to win.”

BOBBY LASHLEY

“I don’t know very much about him (Griggs). I know he has an impressive record and he’s been fighting for a while. I’m just trying to work on everything. I’m going to try to pressure him hard and see what happens.

“I had a lot of time off, not by choice, and I worked out with some great fighters. Just having the opportunity to work with different people has really helped escalate the game.

“I consider myself a very athletic heavyweight. My striking is coming along very well and I’m very comfortable on the ground. I think my game is coming together very well.

“What I want to do in my career is move forward and do it the right way. I do have an extensive wrestling background, there’s no question about that, and I’ll definitely use that to my benefit, pick up the rest of my game and move forward.

“Some people have a problem with my WWE background, but don’t look past my 18 years of wrestling before that. That’s part of my game.”

CHAD GRIGGS

“I think it takes the pressure off me (fighting a guy like Lashley). I can get in there and let it all hang out. The pressure is on Bobby. It’s a tough fight, it’s a great opportunity. I can’t wait to just get in there and fight.

“What do I think is going to happen? He just told me – a lot of pressure. We do expect a lot of pressure. We know he’s coming and he’s coming hard. At no point is it going to be easy.”

• Paid Members

Noons/Gurgel completes a great little triangle of fights in Strikeforce between Gurgel/Noons/Huen. Huen has lost to either man by decision (althought some argue he was hard done by in both). This is like the unofficial finale of the trifecta.

Been two great fights so far, i expect this one to be nothing less...people will argue till the end of time that Gurgel is stupid from fighting away from his strengths, but them people are missing the point, he's great fun to watch.

I can't wait for this one.

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Does Lashley even bother with any sort of Jiu Jitsu training? The amount of times he could have finished it if he had even an inkling of JJ training.

Quite glad he lost, never been a fan - just massively overrated (by fans and himself). Atleast now he knows that he needs a major uphaul in his training if he is really serious about MMA.

TBH, I wouldn't be shocked if he stopped fighting, just seems to lack any heart when fighting. Hes never going to be a champ (of any big promotion anyway), just can't ever see it happening.

Mind those shots by Griggs right at the end had some nice power on them.

EDIT: Also, what the fuck was with that illegal knee by Noons? It wasn't even close to being accidental.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

• Paid Members

Lashley needs to just go back to wrestling. He struggled against Guida and couldn't beat this unknown in Griggs. He'd be really hard pressed to get into UFC and I don't think he'd be able to do anything against even Strikeforce's top heavyweights. Given this result, they might as well just do Lashley vs. Batista in the new year.

Really, though, this MMA lark just isn't for Lashley, and it's funny because before he joined the WWE, he had developed a big rep as having shitloads of ability and a natural fit for MMA.

• Paid Members
Noons/Gurgel completes a great little triangle of fights in Strikeforce between Gurgel/Noons/Huen. Huen has lost to either man by decision (althought some argue he was hard done by in both). This is like the unofficial finale of the trifecta.

Been two great fights so far, i expect this one to be nothing less...people will argue till the end of time that Gurgel is stupid from fighting away from his strengths, but them people are missing the point, he's great fun to watch.

I can't wait for this one.

I kind of agree and disagree with that to be honest.He is great to watch but who's to say he couldn't be just as fun to watch if he took guys down and used his BJJ.

Saying that I have loved a lot of his fights.The fight with Conor Huen you mentioned was quality and his fights with Aaron Riley and Billy Evangelista were belters too.

It's just out of them 3 fights he only won one (the Huen fight and like you say that was close).He's great to watch but how many of his losses could he have won if he wasn't so one dimensional? (well he's not one dimensional he just fights like he is :) )

Archived