The Strikeforce Event Discussion Thread

David

Much like the WEC thread, I thought it would be easier to have the one Strikeforce thread that can have it's title updated as events happen rather than individual threads for each event.

The next event up for the promotion is the Challengers show on August 10th;

Joe Riggs vs. Louis Taylor

Ryan Couture vs. Lucas Stark

Miesha Tate vs. Maiji Kujala (semi-final tournament match)

Carina Damm vs. Hitomi Akano (semi-final tournament match)

In a nod to the old school, Strikeforce will determine the brackets of its four-woman 135-pound tournament at the weigh-ins for Strikeforce Challengers 10.

Scott Coker, the promotion's CEO, on Tuesday night confirmed with MMAjunkie.com the four participants of the competition, which include the previously reported Hitomi Akano, Maiju Kujala and Miesha Tate, will be paired up on the night they hit the scales.

Carina Damm, who was first reported as a participant by MMARising.com, rounds out the field.

Strikeforce Challengers 10 takes place Aug. 13 at the Dodge Theatre in Phoenix, Ariz., and airs live on Showtime. A 182-pound catchweight bout between veteran Joe Riggs and Louis Taylor headlines the event.

Coker said the last-minute matchmaking style has been given official approval by the Arizona State Boxing Commission, which oversees mixed martial arts events in the state.

In the tournament-heavy days of early MMA, brackets were often determined the day of weigh-ins.

The tournament crowns a contender to the women's 135-pound title currently held by Sarah Kaufman, who defends her belt this Saturday against Roxanne Modaferri at Strikeforce Challengers 9.

Damm (15-3 MMA, 0-0 SF), the sister of Strikeforce and BodogFIGHT veteran Rodrigo Damm, most recently fought in February at Jungle Fight 17, where she stopped Aline Serio by first-round TKO. She has not lost a fight since December 2006, when she was submitted by Rosi Sexton during her own stint in the now-defunct BodogFIGHT promotion. Only five of her 18 bouts have gone the distance.

Tate (9-2 MMA, 1-1 SF), meanwhile, is on a three-fight win streak capped by a Strikeforce Challengers 7 submission of Zoila Frausto, who recently smashed her way into Bellator's 115-pound female tournament with a first-round knockout of Sexton.

A Pacific Northwest native, Tate has suffered only two setbacks in her career

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah I'm done with Bravo after they never showed Fedor-Werdum and gave no explanation as to why.

I'm one of them people that will wait 24 hours if I have to cause I'd rather watch on TV than a computer but after butchering the Nashville card and cutting out Aoki-Melendez and then not even showing Fedor vs Werdum I can't be arsed with them anymore.

Their coverage is too unreliabe.Doesn't make sense why they'd show the smaller Strikeforce shows like Challengers and the Babalu-Lawler one but not the bigger fights like Fedor-Werdum,it's bollocks.

Wish Primetime could get Strikeforce.I'd be happy to pay a fiver or so a go if we got them live and it was guaranteed it would be aired.

Torrents the next morning for me.

• Paid Members

not really interested in the Challengers show, like ive said previouslt ive lost interest in Women's MMA. It just aint doing anything for me. I'll likely check out the Joe Riggs fight though, always like to see him fight.

Yeah I'm done with Bravo after they never showed Fedor-Werdum and gave no explanation as to why.

I'm one of them people that will wait 24 hours if I have to cause I'd rather watch on TV than a computer but after butchering the Nashville card and cutting out Aoki-Melendez and then not even showing Fedor vs Werdum I can't be arsed with them anymore.

Their coverage is too unreliabe.Doesn't make sense why they'd show the smaller Strikeforce shows like Challengers and the Babalu-Lawler one but not the bigger fights like Fedor-Werdum,it's bollocks.

Wish Primetime could get Strikeforce.I'd be happy to pay a fiver or so a go if we got them live and it was guaranteed it would be aired.

Torrents the next morning for me.

I agree with all what your saying I gave up after the Nasville card with Melendez vs Aoki getting cut

I think Fedor vs Werdum might not have been shown due to M1 maybe but that wouldnt explain why Fedor vs Rogers was shown

Not that intersrested in the next challengers card but looking forward to the Houston card

• Paid Members

I ain't been paying much attention to this women's tournament but can anyone explain why the 4 girls listed still don't have opponents? It's like 5 days out from the show and all the sites still have 4 TBA's,what's the deal?

Joe Riggs is usually worth a watch and I will see how Randy's lad gets on but yeah not that hyped for this one.Especially with how we've been spoiled lately.

I'll still watch anyway cause it's MMA and I'm a sucker for tournaments.

I ain't been paying much attention to this women's tournament but can anyone explain why the 4 girls listed still don't have opponents? It's like 5 days out from the show and all the sites still have 4 TBA's,what's the deal?

In a nod to the old school, Strikeforce will determine the brackets of its four-woman 135-pound tournament at the weigh-ins for Strikeforce Challengers 10.

Scott Coker, the promotion's CEO, on Tuesday night confirmed with MMAjunkie.com the four participants of the competition, which include the previously reported Hitomi Akano, Maiju Kujala and Miesha Tate, will be paired up on the night they hit the scales.

Tournament brackets have been announced, courtesy of the Observer website.

The first round pairings for tomorrow night's Strikeforce women's 135 pound tournament from the Doge Theater in Phoenix, and airing live at 11 p.m. Eastern on Showtime, picked at weigh-ins by random draw are:

Miesha Tate (9-2) vs. Maiji Kujala (4-1)

Carina Damm (15-3) vs. Hitomi Akano (15-7)

Both fights will be two three minute rounds and if the scores are tied, the judges will pick a winner. The championship match is three three minute rounds and if the score is tied, the judges will then pick a winner. The winner will get a title shot early next year.

Anyone fancy a favourite to win this tournament?

I'm going with Miesha Tate.

Never seen Kujala, and only seen Akano when she fought Cyborg. Carina Damm is game (and her fight against Molly Helsel in Bodog was one of the best female fights I have ever seen), but yeah, can't see past Takedown Tate for this one. Whilst not as experienced as Damm, she has fought better competition, and alround I just think she is a better fighter.

Strikeforce Challengers results below, for anyone who wants to know;

Quite simply, Miesha Tate delivered the goods.

The 135-pound contender was favored entering Friday's first-ever Strikeforce female tournament, and after making it through Maiju Kujala in the night's opening round, Tate outlasted a game Hitomi Akano to earn a unanimous decision, a tournament-winner's belt and a future shot at the welterweight belt.

The single-night tournament was featured at Friday's Showtime-broadcast Strikeforce Challengers 10 event at the Dodge Theatre in Phoenix, Ariz.

Joe Riggs and Louis Taylor met in a 182-pound affair in the night's main event.

The first fight of the night saw Tate earn her way into the finals by utilizing her superior grappling to stymie a gritty Maiju Kujala.

Despite being the least-experienced member of the welterweight tournament, Kujala showed a determined spirit and ample takedown defense. Nevertheless, Tate was able to secure a takedown in each of the two rounds and establish top position.

Tate's standup attack was also sharp in the face of Kujala's powerful boxing, and the performance was sharp enough to earn her a place in the tournament finals with a unanimous decision result.

In her Strikeforce debut, Kujala (4-2 MMA, 0-1 SF) lost for just the second time in her young career

Archived