Good Cover Songs

seasider

• Paid Members
Also, any song Johnny Cash covered instantly becomes superior to the original

Except "Hurt".

I vaguely remember us having this same debate last time this thread came up. I'm not try to take anything away from the (excellent) original but I'm just still in awe that Cash can take someone else's heartfelt lyrics and use them to tell a completely different personal story just in the way he sings them. He created his own living epitaph with so much more symbolism than the original song had, without changing a single lyric.

Sure, musically it's nowhere near as deep, but Cash was never about that. His voice at that stage in his life was just dripping with wisdom and experience, which to me made the words mean so much more.

I realize music taste is subjective and all that shit, so you're more than entitled to your opinion, but to me Cash's "Hurt" surpassed the original.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please dont throw things at me but I quite like Flyleafs cover of Something I Can Never Have though the original pisses all over it.

Cash's cover of Hurt is possibaly the greatest cover song of all time imo and is genuingly emotional but the original is still the best.

• Paid Members

Well aside from personal taste, which regardless of being a valid excuse, I know you won't accept. I find it more passionate, Cash's style of the song better, and for me the original just drags on a bit, I find it dull.

• Paid Members

You don't have to "get" a song to to enjoy it. Regardless of a song's message or lyrics, if you don't like the song then you don't like the song. I like Cash's song, I don't like NIN's.

• Paid Members

Lee I think it's a bit much to suggest anyone who thinks the NIN version is better is wrong. There is no real argument put forward.

I do agree with Sev's he is just stating his opinion that he likes the NIN version better and people are overeacting a tad bit (CASH NOT BETTER NO WAI).

As it happens I actually Like the Cash version better but that's because I think the video adds that extra tug on the heart, especially if you know Johnny Cash well. The NIN version is also a great song but the Cash video swings it, my opinion really.

And to stear the subject away from this debate I thought A1's cover of "Take on Me" was the dogs apples.

• 5 months later...

re: NIN vs. Johnny Cash

never been a fan of NIN, but you cant say that a cover is 'superior' to the person who made the song in the first place. I love Cash's version of 'Hurt', but I wouldn't place it above the original, there are completely different in style and tone, almost to the point that they are completely different songs (if that makes sense). It would be like comparing Deicide's version of 'Black Night' to Deep Purple's original

Archived