Sign in to follow this  
Bellenda Carlisle

Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

8 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

When you regret calling Brie Larson a tit so try to prove how woke you are.

When you use woke in an argument and end up looking a tit in the progress.

It’s easy to separate the actor from the character. He just happened to hate both equally. She’s said some dubious things but a little bit of research shows some of those things have been taken out of context and we’ve already had that discussion on here earlier this week. Anyway, thanks for your input and have a great weekend 

32 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

When you use woke in an argument and end up looking a tit in the progress.

It’s easy to separate the actor from the character. He just happened to hate both equally. She’s said some dubious things but a little bit of research shows some of those things have been taken out of context and we’ve already had that discussion on here earlier this week.

No we didn't. You said she was a tit and was asked why and then went all Dave from The Fast Show and slunk away from the discussion with a vague suggestion that you were a changed man over her or some such crap. You never said why you thought that.

25 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

No we didn't. You said she was a tit and was asked why and then went all Dave from The Fast Show and slunk away from the discussion with a vague suggestion that you were a changed man over her or some such crap. You never said why you thought that.

I unfortunately don’t get the Dave from Fast Show reference. But I explained what I had seen/read to make say that (mainly about go fund me’s) and shared some links. This turned into a whole discussion about toxic fandoms and that awful term social justice warriors and I think snowflakes. I said I had seen a very biased set of things said about her, and missed some of the positive things she had done such as attending screenings to meet fans and how that had not been as widely reported as all the shit things she’s allegedly said. I did maintain from the get go she’s a good actress and that she was great as Captain Marvel.

But I’ll admit me saying she was at tit was stupid and made me look stupid. However, I do think you can enjoy an actor and not like the person. Case in point, as great his roles in parks and recs and the Guardians of the Galaxy films are, Chris Pratt is a trump and gun lover and I’m not a fan of him.

sorry, it’s 3am, my Autistic kid has woken up as if it was 8am and Ive been awake almost 24 hours at this point so I think I’ve made sense

Objectively though, some of the female empowerment themes in the film are blatant but that's because it's a Marvel film. They don't do subtle, so if you are of a type to have a problem with a lady leading your superhero film then I can absolutely see why you would feel like it's smacking you in the face. I just don't understand why that was such a surprise, and why despite knowing that they still went to see it with the knowledge it would offend them so. Well, that's not true I understand full well. Marvel fans, like wrestling fans (the ones who live predominantly on the internet) are toxic and entitled.

They don't want ladies leading *their* movies, much like they don't want their movies to be made for other racial groups, because their movies should be for them and anything else is just wrong and *pandering to outraged minorities* not realising that they themselves are the worst outraged minority. Just like their wrestling fan equivalents though they make little difference to the bottom line, because despite their moaning they still, and always will buy a ticket.

3 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

But I’ll admit me saying she was at tit was stupid and made me look stupid. However, I do think you can enjoy an actor and not like the person. Case in point, as great his roles in parks and recs and the Guardians of the Galaxy films are, Chris Pratt is a trump and gun lover and I’m not a fan of him.

He's a conservative and advocates hunting, to call him a Trump and Gun lover, well that's a leap only made by...wait for it...biased articles on the internet! You explain away your comments on Larson and then make the exact same type of remarks about Pratt. If you can find some comments or statements by him which actually show his opinion as Pro Trump or anti gun control laws then that'll give it some weight, otherwise it's again the sort of character assassination put out there from people with an agenda.

3 hours ago, Bicurious Dad said:

Objectively though, some of the female empowerment themes in the film are blatant but that's because it's a Marvel film. They don't do subtle, so if you are of a type to have a problem with a lady leading your superhero film then I can absolutely see why you would feel like it's smacking you in the face. I just don't understand why that was such a surprise, and why despite knowing that they still went to see it with the knowledge it would offend them so. Well, that's not true I understand full well. Marvel fans, like wrestling fans (the ones who live predominantly on the internet) are toxic and entitled.

They don't want ladies leading *their* movies, much like they don't want their movies to be made for other racial groups, because their movies should be for them and anything else is just wrong and *pandering to outraged minorities* not realising that they themselves are the worst outraged minority. Just like their wrestling fan equivalents though they make little difference to the bottom line, because despite their moaning they still, and always will buy a ticket.

He's a conservative and advocates hunting, to call him a Trump and Gun lover, well that's a leap only made by...wait for it...biased articles on the internet! You explain away your comments on Larson and then make the exact same type of remarks about Pratt. If you can find some comments or statements by him which actually show his opinion as Pro Trump or anti gun control laws then that'll give it some weight, otherwise it's again the sort of character assassination put out there from people with an agenda.

Maybe because I find I’m against this myself but this is awful https://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hunting/2012/02/interview-chris-pratt-talks-about-hunting-tanning-and-squirrels

his 30-40 gun collection  is discussed here https://www.esquire.com/entertainment/tv/a32814/chris-pratt-interview-0914/

The Trump thing has been rumoured for years, and thought as one of the reasons his marriage broke down. A lot of his co-stars are publicly anti-trump. Which probably fuels these rumours, as did articles like this https://people.com/celebrity/chris-pratt-says-he-wants-to-help-bridge-political-division-i-dont-feel-we-have-to-be-at-war-with-each-other/

his faith can be a little jarring. While he’s always been very openly Christian and religious, as is his new fiancée, this has also sparked criticism of late due to the church he affiliates with https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/12/is-chris-pratts-evangelical-church-really-welcoming-to-lgbtq-people/amp/

You seem to be chronically chatting bollocks and digging yourself deeper, soapdish. Your source for his 'trump support' explicitly states the opposite:

I don’t feel represented by either side.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

From the article which describes his gun collection - Pratt believes in firearm regulation, background checks, and preventing guns from falling into the hands of the mentally ill. He explains population control and hunting licenses and tags and the virtues of eating what you kill. He's a hunter, that's a value you can agree with or disagree with but he's on the side of control and licensing, the tag 'gun lover' carried many connotations which he isn't guilty of.

The anti-LGBTQ stuff with his church has only to my knowledge stemmed from Ellen Page and anecdotal twitter comments from people who were part of their parent church Hillsong, Pratt has denied any knowledge of this and said his experience with them does not reflect that, also affirmed that his own beliefs are definitely not that way aligned. There's also been nothing further said, and again without concrete evidence it's just a he-said/she-said which people will pick the sides of depending on their own views.

In no way do I disagree that you can like someone's output despite your opinion of the them, I just think you seem to be prone to influence from biased fluff media of which there is much.

8 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

sorry, it’s 3am, my Autistic kid has woken up as if it was 8am and Ive been awake almost 24 hours at this point so I think I’ve made sense

My autistic daughter woke up three times last night and decided to just start screaming for some reason. I tend not to use her as a play for sympathy and to excuse being a git though.

2 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

My autistic daughter woke up three times last night and decided to just start screaming for some reason. I tend not to use her as a play for sympathy and to excuse being a git though.

It was an explanation as to why I was writing a reply at that time and waffling on and hoping to make sense of being sleep deprived. However one thing you are right to call me out on is mentioning the Autism. I had not thought of it as a sympathetic ploy, nor was trying to get any sympathy. But it didn’t need to be mentioned as it made no difference to my reply. So I’m sorry for that.

Superhero films exist, which is fine I suppose. But do they have to take suck up every screen at both my locals on a Saturday? I had a Saturday afternoon and evening free, and hoped to watch Fighting With My Family. Not a chance to squeeze it in among 18 screenings across 12 screens of Captain Marvel. 

Yours, old man shouting at clouds. 

Preach. My favourite cinema only has three screens and the big, good one is just all Captain Marvel, at the minute. One of their screens is abysmal, so it's essentially 2 rooms. Annoying because there are a lot of good films about, at the minute, and at this particular cinema you'll get one showing in one of the lesser rooms.

Edited by ColinBollocks

24 minutes ago, Onyx2 said:

Superhero films exist, which is fine I suppose. But do they have to take suck up every screen at both my locals on a Saturday? I had a Saturday afternoon and evening free, and hoped to watch Fighting With My Family. Not a chance to squeeze it in among 18 screenings across 12 screens of Captain Marvel. 

Yours, old man shouting at clouds. 

This time of year you have to be quick out the blocks to see films because it’s the start of blockbuster season. I was tempted to see Cold Persuit but that lasted no time before Alita and Captain Marvel took up most of the screens. 2 weeks and change we get Shazam and then shortly after Avengers. So anything that comes out soon is not going to have many screens

2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

This time of year you have to be quick out the blocks to see films because it’s the start of blockbuster season. I was tempted to see Cold Persuit but that lasted no time before Alita and Captain Marvel took up most of the screens. 2 weeks and change we get Shazam and then shortly after Avengers. So anything that comes out soon is not going to have many screens

So I just fucking pirate them then. Bravo if you can make it on release weekend but that's so unrealistic. I really wanted to see The Favourite too, but that lasted about 7 minutes in our multiplex of doom. I can't wait for universal day-in-date releases. We're nearly there. 

Edited by Onyx2