Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

Surely a bit of two fingers up towards Warner Bros. and their DC Universe, releasing the reviews as Batman v Superman slowly looks like it's not touching the 1B+ they expected.

Can't wait for Civil War. It's been the superhero movie I've been looking forward to most this year.

Doctor Strange doesn't really look as psychedelic as I'd like. And I like Cumberbatch and he'll be great in it but there is something a little uninspiring about his casting.

I feel like it could be one of their more unique films but their formula might restrict it from reaching it's potential.

Civil War isn't a very challenging movie to make for Marvel. They've already done the ground work - something DC lacked with BvsS - so it doesn't surprise me that the reviews are good. You'd have to be pretty shit at your job to fuck that movie up.

Strange onwards is where the real challenges come. Much like Guardians and Ant Man, Marvel do have enough credibility with audiences now to delve into something different, so hopefully they can keep the high quality up. Though the GOTG sequel has a lot to live up to.

• Paid Members

Michael Keaton has been cast as the villain in the new Spider-Man film. Loves me some Keaton. Let the speculation on who he's going to play commence!*

*id bet money on Vulture, purely because they've pitched it in early drafts of other films so much.

• Paid Members

Civil War isn't a very challenging movie to make for Marvel. They've already done the ground work - something DC lacked with BvsS - so it doesn't surprise me that the reviews are good. You'd have to be pretty shit at your job to fuck that movie up.

Strange onwards is where the real challenges come. Much like Guardians and Ant Man, Marvel do have enough credibility with audiences now to delve into something different, so hopefully they can keep the high quality up. Though the GOTG sequel has a lot to live up to.

Couldn't disagree with you more regarding civil war. Large cast ensembles are notoriously difficult to make and involves an awful lot of skill as a film maker to not make it into a big clusterfuck of a mess.

Just look at spider-man 3. Its why Joss Whedon was lauded after the first avengers as he was able to write and direct a script that gave each character a fleshed out story arc whilst avoiding it becoming an incoherent mess.

Edited by lambyUK

• Paid Members

I’m off to see it on Sunday evening lads, so I’ll give yiz me worthless opinion then.

Oh..fuck off. First you tell me The Goon is on netflix (and it's not you bastard!) and now you're telling me you are seeing this nearly two weeks in advance!?!??!

Feck!

• Paid Members

Is it not on Netflix?? Sorry Muttons, I was convinced it was. The young lad must have been watching it on the hard drive.

Very irresponsible of me, I'm aware.

Get to go to a fair amount of these movies as press screenings with my mate coz his missus won't go to that "childish Roger Ramjet shite" or anything sci-fi, so works out well for me.

• Paid Members

Lamby. I will say that even though Whedon did a fantastic job he was helped by each character having already had a solo film and a bit of character behind them, think that's more what David was meaning. It's far easier to make a film like that when the audience are already invested in the characters.

• Paid Members

Lamby. I will say that even though Whedon did a fantastic job he was helped by each character having already had a solo film and a bit of character behind them, think that's more what David was meaning. It's far easier to make a film like that when the audience are already invested in the characters.

I know what you're saying, but by that logic that means any film that's a sequal is should be easy to make as we have characters we are invested in?

I just don't agree, especially with the complexities of making this size of a cast work. On top of that, we also have new characters such as Black Panther, Spider-man etc added to the pot. 

• Paid Members

I know what you're saying, but by that logic that means any film that's a sequal is should be easy to make as we have characters we are invested in?

Can't agree with you there, Chops - he's specifically referring to a film with a sprawling cast that is afforded that luxury by having several standalone films dedicated to most of its characters.

A standard film sequel, following on from previous films in one series, wouldn't necessarily have that kind of scope. That said, if the series has had enough installments to establish a storyline universe, it shouldn't be beyond the capabilities of a director worth his salt to make such a film.