Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

Logan was simply brilliant, even the moment above made sense to me in context and didn't ruin the mood they were setting at the time to me. Really enjoyable film and the Wolverine we've wanted to see really came out at times. Loved it and definitely going to see it again.

• Paid Members

Here's the Deadpool teaser, lads.

Not sure where the fuck this was for me but it wasn't on during my screening yesterday.

Outside of this annoying news, Logan was just spectacular. The greatest comic book film ever? I was thinking about this today and I'm currently thinking yes.

That said it's made me re-think my criteria as part of what I deemed essential was re-watchibility. With how intense and emotional Logan is I'm not sure it's a movie I could watch over and over like the Avengers.

However, within that one sitting it moved me unlike any other comic book film I've seen.

I sincerely hope come next year's Oscars that Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart are given nominations. I also thought the rest of the cast were fantastic with Boyd Holbrook particularly brilliant.

• Paid Members

Yeah. Also never got the Deadpool teaser, last night.

It's good, though.

I'm planning on seeing Logan on Wednesday, hopefully. I was telling the hairdresser about how many time Logan made most of the cinema weep. She, of course, said "At a comic book film?". Yeah, but it ain't your regular comic book film.

• Paid Members

There's some sort of Marvel animated movie fest on SYFY channel today. They've already shown Dr Strange. Avengers Confidential: Black Widow % Punisher is on now. After that they are showing Ultimate Avengers 2.

First time I've seen any of them. Dr Strange was OK.

• Paid Members

I watched Logan last night and I was conflicted. On one hand I was offended at the liberties taken with the characters and on the other hand I was blown away by the director doing what he wanted without trying to fit the mould of what's expected from this kind of film, especially as gritty post apocalyptic sci-fi dusty violence is one of my favourite things in movies.

In the end I definitely liked it a lot but there were two things that stopped it being a 10/10 for me...

Logan and Charles were just too pathetic, there was no need for Logan to be quite so knackered really. I'm down with a past his prime old tired Wolverine but this was too much, the times he went into killing mode were awesone, but he was just too shit the rest of the time. I was disappointed that he had to use drugs to use his powers properly, maybe that's hypocritical coming from me but I'd rather he'd been 30% more lively throughout the film.

Also disagree with me if you want, I really don't care, but I don't think it's James Mangold's right to kill Wolverine and Professor X. I don't know why there's an obsession to bring everything to a close and give it an ending in these movies but it's not what comic characters are about for me at all.

My two cardinal rules going in were I was up for anything except Wolverine losing his powers or dying, considering it broke both of those and I'd still thought it was really good it did pretty well.

Edited by Call me Bellend

• Paid Members

See, for me, the film is ruined if you implemented the changes you suggested, Bellend. Wolverine doing the sell job only heightened his vulnerability, and a chunk of what makes the movie work, is the pathos around the knowledge these are once great men on their last legs. The film dives into a beings last days with incredible effectiveness, given it's a bloody comic book film. As the film progresses you can see that train coming further through the tunnel. Also, making Wolverine more vulnerable makes it easier for the audience to get behind him and his flaws, because despite it not all working, he selflessly goes through hell to save others - the selling of the body giving out is key.

As I typed earlier, both death scenes were so well done and built up, most of the cinema were in bits.

I suppose my POV is also different because I'm not really a massive X-Men fan, making it easier to view this as a stand alone piece of amazing cinema. It was like Terminator 2 meets Passion of the Christ, with a heavy splash of Unforgiven and Shane.

• Paid Members

Goldblum looks very 'Guardians Of The Galaxy'

There's a few little sneak peeks on the phase 3 preview, on the Dr Strange DVD and hulk is full on planet hulk gladiator look in one of the animatics, which should be cool. Also it's been pointed out that in the pic of Thor and Rocket from Avengers 3, Thor has what looks to be his ultimates hammer or an Axe.

In other news Iron fist seems to be getting slated by everyone. Seems to be the first legit miss step by Marvel.

• Paid Members

Just got back from Logan. Wow its good but it's also relentlessly depressing and intense. I'm definitely going to need to watch some comedy. Might bung on Guardians to counter act it.