Comic Book and Superhero movie & TV discussion.

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members

What's interesting to is see what's going to happen in terms of writing the script. Affleck was co-writing the film and from what I can gather is what was holding up the start date. 

Affleck wanted to get the script perfect and stated in a recent interview that Warner Bros were hounding him to get the shoot started. 

I highly doubt their decision is based on the poor performance of live by night, as Affleck has proven he's an absolutely top class director with Gone Baby Gone, Argo, and The Town. 

I think it's exactly what he says and that the role is just too big on it's own to balance writing and directing on top of it. 

It just seems like Warner Bros are rushing with their films, because they released a load of dates for the DC films. The thing is that whilst their films are critcally panned. They do well enough in the box office.

Marvel trickled out the films in the lead up to Avengers. They obviously had a game plan as hinted to with agent Coulson turning up in the first Iron Man. They seem as interested in making sure their characters are portrayed in the right light and making good films. Rather than the Warner Bros slap dash approach of going "look heres all the heroes you love" in a garbled mess.

• Paid Members

They should go gay with Batman next. Get the guy who directed Priscilla Queen of the Desert to do it if he's still alive. Get RuPaul in to play Batman.

They should just get Adam West back and fill it full of all the made for TV villains from the 60s. The world needs more evil Liberace and his music based puns 

• Paid Members

They should go gay with Batman next. Get the guy who directed Priscilla Queen of the Desert to do it if he's still alive. Get RuPaul in to play Batman.

I thought we had that with the Joel Schumacher Batmans?

Bat nipples!

George-Clooney-in-Batman-Robin.jpg

• Awards Moderator

They should just get Adam West back and fill it full of all the made for TV villains from the 60s. The world needs more evil Liberace and his music based puns 

If West had had his way, he'd have already been back. This from Cracked.com the other week:

However, in case you hadn't noticed, they've made a few Batman movies since the days when the Dark Knight could slip a pair of swim trunks over his costume like it was no big deal -- and West has wanted to be a part of almost all of them. This goes all the way back to 1989, when West kept insisting that he should play Batman, which would be a little like casting Mr. Rogers as the Punisher. (That is, awesome. Until you get to the wanton killing. Then it's just traumatizing.)

When Christian Bale took over as a Batman more likely to break a guy's neck than bust out a can of Shark Repellent, West again chimed in that he should be in the movie, but as Batman's father. Comic book connoisseurs might notice one tiny problem with this idea: Dr. Thomas Wayne took that fatal alley shortcut way before he got to be West's age. In West's proposed version, though, he'd still be alive ... and he'd be Batman, too.

West suggested that "The older Batman comes out of the woodwork, when times get really tough ... maybe [gives Bruce] a few tips here and there ..." Frighteningly, there are comic book precedents for Batman's old man putting on a pointy-eared cowl, whether in the past or in alternate timelines. Something tells us West's remarks are less about respecting continuity and more about having trouble letting go of his most (only) famous character, though.

Even recently, West suggested he could be in Batman V. Superman, again as Bruce Wayne's zombie father / spare Batman. He would come back "one dark and stormy lightning-riven night through a library window. Bruce Wayne is there thinking, 'I'll never solve this. This is the most difficult thing in my life.' In comes old dad, like a bat, almost." Which, come to think of it, still wouldn't be the dumbest thing in that movie.

He did a fantastic turn in the latest DC Animated Movie: Return of the Caped Crusaders. Involves almost getting cooked as part of a giant ready meal at one point.

Incidentally how can DC/WB manage to get the right feel and produce generally good animated films and then get the live action stuff so bad? 

• Paid Members

He did a fantastic turn in the latest DC Animated Movie: Return of the Caped Crusaders. Involves almost getting cooked as part of a giant ready meal at one point.

Incidentally how can DC/WB manage to get the right feel and produce generally good animated films and then get the live action stuff so bad?

I think it's a case of the budgets are so small in comparison to films that they fly under the radar without much interference and seem to have a lot more input from people actually in the comic industry. Killing joke was shockingly shit though.

I think it's a case of the budgets are so small in comparison to films that they fly under the radar without much interference and seem to have a lot more input from people actually in the comic industry. Killing joke was shockingly shit though.

The animation for Killing Joke was one of the worst I've seen from any of the Batman animated movies. It had such immense potential, but ended up being a bit crap.

Story-wise its word for word the comic book, with like 20 mins of extra stuff at the start, but I can't understand why it was so bad. Maybe over hyped?

• Moderators

I've not seen it, but being word for word isn't a good thing, when you're adapting from one medium you another. And if they chucked a bunch of other stuff at the beginning possibly pacing issues as well..?

Anyway, I avoided it on recommendation. Shame it sucked because the comic is a classic..

There's a good 20 mins of extra stuff, (about batgirl doing some stuff) to basically get more reaction later down the line. I can see why as Killing Joke isn't exactly a long story in the grand scheme of things. There are some other minor "bits" in there as well, but the animation quality is what really lets it down for me, looks like it was done on the cheap. Saying that, my wife really enjoyed it as its her favourite comic book, so maybe you would like it.